Sign in with
Your question

Where can I buy my components in the Uk?

Last response: in Systems
October 7, 2006 11:55:54 AM

I've been let down twice by one well known Uk company who decided to sell some of the components to somebody else a week after I ordered them. This the day before despatch. I forgave them once and tried again but the silly soandso's did the same thing forcing me to cancel the whole order again. I won't be using them again. I won't name the company here in case of possible legal action but they are very big in the enthusiast community. I also looked at customer reviews of another well known online component shop and the dissatisfaction worries me. Where the hell can I go to buy safely with the least amount of hassle? What are the pitfalls/ advantages of buying in say Germany?
I've lost a month now all in all and am getting increasingly frustrated.
Thanks in advance.

More about : buy components

October 7, 2006 11:58:41 AM

Have you thought about trying a computer fair?.
October 7, 2006 12:06:34 PM

I've had lots of sucess with komplett, and they can use the royal mail so you can pick up from post office if you are not in. Just had some sucess with ebuyer, but they use chitylink which is ok unless you are 40 miles from a depot, Savastore aren't bad... they use Amtrak.

Scan are also not bad, although I suspect that is who you are talking about, but they are the ones I keep going back to.
Related resources
October 7, 2006 12:22:35 PM

I use OverclockersUK. No problems from me.

Quote:
I won't name the company here in case of possible legal action

They cant give legal action for an opinion. Fanbois here might say INTEL SUXXXORS ROTFLOLOLOLOLOL etc. so what ever you say shouldnt be prosecutable. Plus it allows us to see what companies do stuff that annoys customers.
October 7, 2006 12:46:12 PM

The service they are giving you is unnaceptable :( 

I wish I could buy online but I dont have a credit card so I have to buy from shops :( 
October 7, 2006 12:48:39 PM

Yes I reckon you're talking about Scan aswell because this has happened to me a few times with them. Delivery can also be a bit steep, but if you go into the shop in can be a pain as the guy on the despatch desk is always taking the p*ss out of customers.... this dude in front of me was obviously gay and 'despatch monkey' as we call him was talking to him in a well camp voice. I hate that kind of shit so felt I had to say something, but later on my bro told me he was nephew of owner so f*ck all could be done. This prehistoric customer service attitude put me off using them for life.

As others have said komplett, savastore and dabs are okay. You may want to check out tekheads also, and sometimes even microdirect.
October 7, 2006 2:38:52 PM

Ok thanks for the replies. I'll check out all of the stores you have all suggested. Yes your'e right the store I had the problem with was scan. The funny thing is is that while youre waiting to get put through to a customer service rep the voice over kicks in occasionally telling one and all how valuable my custom is and what a fantastic service they offer. Yeah right whatever.
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1714.html
And the link above doesn't exactly put my mind at rest reading through the first few comments about the service offered in this store.

Computer fairs are out of the question. Well maybe not if your'e in the market for a pentium 266 and 20 gig hard drive once used.

Has anyone any idea about buying in say Germany? I heard somewhere components are cheaper abroad.

Anyway thanks for the info everyone.
October 7, 2006 2:42:11 PM

Not sure about Germany, Scan are normally the cheapest, but they have other issues, I still buy from them, and I know people who have had trouble that still buy from them, their delivery is a little high and I can't stand chitylink, but they still are good value, I've RMA'd through them and it worked ok.
October 7, 2006 3:04:43 PM

You might want to think again on that comment last time I was at the one in Stratford C2D's, AM2's,DDR2 and HDD's in excess of 400GB were all readily available.
October 7, 2006 10:10:49 PM

This question comes up pretty regular - here's a couple of past threads you might find useful:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/UK-tailer-simil...

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/UK-mail-order-c...

Locally, I prefer Citylink as they will get to my house before noon while Amtrak has 'not gotten around to me that day' before depsite my order being on the truck. I've yet to have a problem with Shiny Hardware, Advance Technologies, ebuyer, Eclipse Computers or Scan - but then maybe I'm just lucky that way.
October 7, 2006 10:37:54 PM

cuppachar is the OP, not me :roll:
October 7, 2006 11:41:08 PM

Certainly does, makes following the thread just a tad too confusing, especially after a few too many beers :lol:  , which is what I’ve had so I’m hitting the sack now, nighty night all, have fun, peace 8)
October 8, 2006 12:03:49 AM

Aria

my usual site, never let me down
October 8, 2006 3:19:20 AM

Quote:
cuppachar is the OP, not me :roll:

OK, I simply replied on-topic to the last post in the thread. Not everyone uses threaded view y'know.
October 8, 2006 9:02:06 AM

Quote:
Aria

my usual site, never let me down

It's pretty good, but the selection of graphics cards isn't too good.
October 8, 2006 11:07:18 AM

I've used Overclockers a few times (pretty reliable) dabs (they've screwed me over a couple of times, so I now buy most of my shit from

www.microdirect.co.uk
October 8, 2006 11:18:05 AM

Quote:
I use www.microdirect.co.uk they are pretty good have never had anything break from them yet and i have been ordering of them just over a year, as for ebuyer, stay wel clear unless you want to endlesly go through thier returns system and wraping parcels up and sending them back your whole life.

There's never been ANYTHING wrong when i have bought stuff from ebuyer (i've bought over £1200 worth of stuff from there, never had a problem), i guess you're just unlucky.
October 8, 2006 12:08:02 PM

Thanks for the input but alas I've been on all the sites suggested and in a word I can only describe those sites as amateurish. They are awful in terms of navigation. A throwback to when the web began with silly buttons lots of colour and in general non user friendly.
For all their faults, Scan and Overclockers do make it easy to find what you need fast but Scan are let down bigstyle by the service you recieve after you order the goods. Also those sites don't have anywhere near the range of stuff I need for my pc.
Ho hum.
October 8, 2006 2:37:42 PM

Quote:
Locally, I prefer Citylink as they will get to my house before noon while Amtrak has 'not gotten around to me that day' before depsite my order being on the truck. I've yet to have a problem with Shiny Hardware, Advance Technologies, ebuyer, Eclipse Computers or Scan - but then maybe I'm just lucky that way.

my only problem with citylink is that they are about 40-50miles away, whereas the post office, amtrak, dhl and most of the others all have a presence in peterborough so i just go and collect. Other than that I'm normally early on the route for citylink and get it before 12:00.
!