Refurb Verizon Kypcera Smartphones

Last response: in Network Providers
November 18, 2004 5:23:48 PM

I've seen refurb Kyocera Smartphones for sale in many places.
All have Verizon stickers. I think they are even CDMA.

If they are not "unlocked" can they be put on a Cingular account?

I want a PDA/stylus phone, but carrying around a $500 gadget is
discomforting. I have nothing against having something fancy and new
at home, but carrying it around bugs me (esp after narrowly not being
at both WTC bombings).

- = -
Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist
BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Health Reform means abolishing FDR's insurance tax exemption]
[To stop SPAM, Charge net-postage] [Abolish 16th (Inc Tx) Amendment]
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 6:59:15 PM

In article <cnib9k$fh9$4@reader1.panix.com>,
vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

> I've seen refurb Kyocera Smartphones for sale in many places.
> All have Verizon stickers. I think they are even CDMA.
>
> If they are not "unlocked" can they be put on a Cingular account?

No. NEVER. Cingular has never used CDMA, and can not make such a phone
functoiopn on their Network.
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 9:49:00 PM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:23:48 +0000 (UTC),
vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

>I've seen refurb Kyocera Smartphones for sale in many places.
>All have Verizon stickers. I think they are even CDMA.

I believe they only made a CDMA Smartphone.

>If they are not "unlocked" can they be put on a Cingular account?

Nope. Cingular is GSM.

>I want a PDA/stylus phone, but carrying around a $500 gadget is
>discomforting. I have nothing against having something fancy and new
>at home, but carrying it around bugs me (esp after narrowly not being
>at both WTC bombings).

Umm.. I hate to even think about it much less say it, but if you were
in the WTC, the least of your problems would have been having a broken
phone. I somehow doubt people scrambling to evacuate were thinking
about their phone.
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 7:06:57 AM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:49:00 -0800, Evan Platt
<evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>Umm.. I hate to even think about it much less say it, but if you were
>in the WTC, the least of your problems would have been having a broken
>phone. I somehow doubt people scrambling to evacuate were thinking
>about their phone.

Even people in the neighborhood, but not in the building, were
thinking about things other than phones. Like breathing.
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 7:06:58 AM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 04:06:57 GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

>Even people in the neighborhood, but not in the building, were
>thinking about things other than phones. Like breathing.

Exactly. I can only imagine what would have happened to anyone who
said "Wait! My phone may still be in there!"
November 19, 2004 7:24:03 AM

>All have Verizon stickers. I think they are even CDMA.
>
>If they are not "unlocked" can they be put on a Cingular account?

Cingular does not use CDMA technology.

--
John S.