Refurb Verizon Kypcera Smartphones

I've seen refurb Kyocera Smartphones for sale in many places.
All have Verizon stickers. I think they are even CDMA.

If they are not "unlocked" can they be put on a Cingular account?

I want a PDA/stylus phone, but carrying around a $500 gadget is
discomforting. I have nothing against having something fancy and new
at home, but carrying it around bugs me (esp after narrowly not being
at both WTC bombings).

- = -
Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist
BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Health Reform means abolishing FDR's insurance tax exemption]
[To stop SPAM, Charge net-postage] [Abolish 16th (Inc Tx) Amendment]
5 answers Last reply
More about refurb verizon kypcera smartphones

    In article <cnib9k$fh9$4@reader1.panix.com>,
    vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

    > I've seen refurb Kyocera Smartphones for sale in many places.
    > All have Verizon stickers. I think they are even CDMA.
    >
    > If they are not "unlocked" can they be put on a Cingular account?

    No. NEVER. Cingular has never used CDMA, and can not make such a phone
    functoiopn on their Network.

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:23:48 +0000 (UTC),
    vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

    >I've seen refurb Kyocera Smartphones for sale in many places.
    >All have Verizon stickers. I think they are even CDMA.

    I believe they only made a CDMA Smartphone.

    >If they are not "unlocked" can they be put on a Cingular account?

    Nope. Cingular is GSM.

    >I want a PDA/stylus phone, but carrying around a $500 gadget is
    >discomforting. I have nothing against having something fancy and new
    >at home, but carrying it around bugs me (esp after narrowly not being
    >at both WTC bombings).

    Umm.. I hate to even think about it much less say it, but if you were
    in the WTC, the least of your problems would have been having a broken
    phone. I somehow doubt people scrambling to evacuate were thinking
    about their phone.

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:49:00 -0800, Evan Platt
    <evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:

    >Umm.. I hate to even think about it much less say it, but if you were
    >in the WTC, the least of your problems would have been having a broken
    >phone. I somehow doubt people scrambling to evacuate were thinking
    >about their phone.

    Even people in the neighborhood, but not in the building, were
    thinking about things other than phones. Like breathing.

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 04:06:57 GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

    >Even people in the neighborhood, but not in the building, were
    >thinking about things other than phones. Like breathing.

    Exactly. I can only imagine what would have happened to anyone who
    said "Wait! My phone may still be in there!"

    >All have Verizon stickers. I think they are even CDMA.
    >
    >If they are not "unlocked" can they be put on a Cingular account?

    Cingular does not use CDMA technology.

    --
    John S.

Cingular Smartphones Verizon Internet Service Providers