Sign in with
Your question

Linux - MP3 Player

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
Anonymous
August 1, 2001 2:02:50 AM

I have a broken laptop. The LCD doesn't work, I want to put a very very small distro of linux on it, then allow it to play MP3s and CDs.

Any suggestions on which distro? I mainly want to use linux since it will be more stable than windows, and probably wont consume as much power.

More about : linux mp3 player

August 2, 2001 7:59:04 PM

You can use any distro you like, but when installing make sure you take the option of installing the packages yourself. You can probably get it down to under a few hundred megs. I have never heard of Linux using less power than windows, where did you get that from?

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.
Anonymous
August 3, 2001 12:09:41 AM

well, consider it most likely takes up less processing power to stay at commandline than within a windows GUI, and it probably takes less processing time to bootup as well.

less processing time = less power usage

Or so I would guess.
Related resources
August 3, 2001 2:00:19 PM

Quote:
less processing time = less power usage

Probably does in theory, but playing mp3's will crank up the power consumption!!

Next time you wave - use all your fingers
August 4, 2001 3:18:35 PM

Only my opinion but can I suggest you MS-DOS, I think there are good little MP3 players for DOS, and generally speaking, it won't take as much space as Linux.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!
August 10, 2001 2:19:15 AM

As posted, just about any linux distro will do. You can keep the whole shebang pretty lean as well, for such a specific purpose.

Also, considering the purpose, you might want to play around with <A HREF="http://www.bitbox.co.uk/jukepeg/" target="_new">JukePeg</A> or <A HREF="http://www.jwz.org/gronk/" target="_new">Gronk</A>, a couple of network-based MP3 jukeboxen. Just have the laptop share a directory over Samba for storing mp3's and have the jukeboxe software go to that directory.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."
August 14, 2001 1:00:52 PM

dont worry about the distro... get one, uncheck everything. I mean everything. You need a kernel, and an mp3/cd player. nothing else. well maybe you might want some other little doohickeys, but not much else. I would even recommend just compiling your own kernel, and keeping it as lean as possible. I am not positive about the 2.4 kernel, but I think you could pull this off in about 50 megs. I am rather curious as to how you plan on playing mp3's w/out a screen though...
-k

I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the Corporate Republic of America...
Anonymous
August 15, 2001 7:47:03 AM

Use zipslack.

<font color=blue>Jesus saves...</font color=blue><font color=red>and takes half damage!</font color=red>
!