Lamp won't turn off after upgrading anti-virus software

Hello. I have a PC running XP Home SP1. My scanner is a Visioneer
5800 USB. It uses PaperPort Deluxe 7.02 software, with the latest OneTouch
driver installed. This morning, I upgraded my Norton Anti-Virus to the 2004
version. Now, when I reboot, the scanner is recognized by Windows, but the
lamp does not turn off after 5 minutes. Previously it did. I have
reinstalled PaperPort, OneTouch, done a CheckDisk, Disk Defrag, deleted TEMP
files, plugged the scanner into a different USB port. Nothing helped. Is
there anything else I can try besides uninstalling NAV 2004?

"HistoryFan" <nospam!@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hello. I have a PC running XP Home SP1. My scanner is a Visioneer
> 5800 USB. It uses PaperPort Deluxe 7.02 software, with the latest
OneTouch
> driver installed. This morning, I upgraded my Norton Anti-Virus to the
2004
> version. Now, when I reboot, the scanner is recognized by Windows, but
the
> lamp does not turn off after 5 minutes. Previously it did. I have
> reinstalled PaperPort, OneTouch, done a CheckDisk, Disk Defrag, deleted
TEMP
> files, plugged the scanner into a different USB port. Nothing helped. Is
> there anything else I can try besides uninstalling NAV 2004?

Check the power management in XP, there may be a selection for the USB port.

Also check the settings in Norton Anti-Virus 2004, there may be a way to get
NAV to ignore the USB ports or the scanner.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

HistoryFan wrote:
> Hello. I have a PC running XP Home SP1. My scanner is a Visioneer
> 5800 USB. It uses PaperPort Deluxe 7.02 software, with the latest OneTouch
> driver installed. This morning, I upgraded my Norton Anti-Virus to the 2004
> version. Now, when I reboot, the scanner is recognized by Windows, but the
> lamp does not turn off after 5 minutes. Previously it did. I have
> reinstalled PaperPort, OneTouch, done a CheckDisk, Disk Defrag, deleted TEMP
> files, plugged the scanner into a different USB port. Nothing helped. Is
> there anything else I can try besides uninstalling NAV 2004?

Right click on the OneTouch Task bar Icon, choose Configure, click on
the tab with the hand thingy, click on the General Tab, click on Scanner
Lamp turns off: check off After Idling For X Minutes. 15 Minutes is the
minimum setting for my PC. If you can set 5 minutes then great.

Thanks for the responses. I set the scanner lamp to go off
automatically after 15 minutes of inactivity, although sometimes it goes off
normally after 5 minutes. At least the lamp won't burn out.

I think part of the problem may be that the software that powers my
scanner isn't 100% compatible with Windows XP, despite what Visioneer
states. XP isn't even listed in the instruction manual under system
requirements.