reboot and select proper boot drive

delt

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2002
I have a system that I built for someone. Funny thing is it runs great but occasionally, according to the user, this message comes the screen:

reboot and select proper boot drive or insert boot media in selected boot drive and press key

It happens when the computer is on. When the user is done using the computer, they will go away from it and leave it on. When they come back, that message pops up. Doesn't a computer have to be turned off and on again for that to come up, as it's a boot error? I've looked at the PC and found nothing wrong with it, nor did I come across that message. Granted, I was only working on it for about an hour. During that hour, I must have rebooted the machine at least 10 times and it worked ok. This seems to be a very intermittent weird problem.

Gamer_Kid

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Not sure, But does he have a floppy in it, I remeber if you leave a floppy it says sumtin about a boot message. I highly doubt it tho.

delt

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2002
There is a floppy drive, but there isn't a disk inside. There isn't any possible way for this boot error message to come up unless the PC is rebooted, correct? This is stumping the hell out of me. This happens during the day when the computer is left unattended and also in the morning when someone comes back to the computer. I think that something may be updating and then trying to reboot the computer. When windows xp updates itself automatically, does it reboot the system?

Gamer_Kid

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
There is a floppy drive, but there isn't a disk inside. There isn't any possible way for this boot error message to come up unless the PC is rebooted, correct? This is stumping the hell out of me. This happens during the day when the computer is left unattended and also in the morning when someone comes back to the computer. I think that something may be updating and then trying to reboot the computer. When windows xp updates itself automatically, does it reboot the system?
Yes, this usually happens during reboot. As for windows updates sometimes you have to restart on your own. Ill try to find some research on it to help you out but for now not sure.

delt

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2002
I apologize for being away from this thread for so long. It isn't a 939 socket. Here are the specs of the machine.

Windows XP Home
ASRock K8NF4G-SATA2 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 800MHz HT Socket 754 Processor
512 (mb) of DDR-400 memory (Crucial)
Maxtor DiamondMax10 -- 80GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3550A

I've currently set Windows updates to manual for now. I've been over to look at the pc, and booted and rebooted the pc numerous times. Not a single problem booting up. There are no floppys in the floppy drive. The computer is left on continuously and not shut down every night. If I didn't know any better, maybe the computer goes into some sort of hibernation mode and gets that message during hibernation. To my knowledge, I think I turned off hibernation as a test control measure and this message still pops up. It's a black dos screen with "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key." The only way out of this is to physically reboot the computer. I did see this message once. When I got a chance to look at the computer, it had been idle for a few hours before I arrived. When I moved the mouse to bring it out of the shutdown mode, that message was sitting on the screen. Like I said, I can't possibly image how this message comes up on an already booted PC. Any ideas, no matter how crazy are welcome at this point.

delt

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2002
As far as the reboot message above, that's something that the bios would print on the screen, and not the OS? If that's the case, could it be a problem with the motherboard? Also, any chance a bad CMOS battery could cause this? The purpose of the battery is to remember your bios settings, clock and so forth. Once the computer is booted, and powered up, how could a faulty cmos battery affect it after this point?

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
As far as the reboot message above, that's something that the bios would print on the screen, and not the OS? If that's the case, could it be a problem with the motherboard? Also, any chance a bad CMOS battery could cause this? The purpose of the battery is to remember your bios settings, clock and so forth. Once the computer is booted, and powered up, how could a faulty cmos battery affect it after this point?

Naw its a known bug with AsRock motherboards.

delt

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2002
In your opinion, do you think this may have something to do with the messages that the particular PC described above?