Your question

Dead Drive?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Seagate
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
October 7, 2006 3:57:38 PM

I purchased a Seagate SATA 300GB drive two months ago. Yesterday, when I was typing my essay for school, my computer shut off and the HD started smelling like something but there was no smoke. Now everytime when I connect it it does the same thing! BUT IT DOESNT WORK> MY COMP BOOTS WITHOUT IT TO THE POINT WHERE IT SAYS NO BOOTABLE DRIVE. I requested an RMA from Seagate. FUCKING BITCHES WANT $25 bucks to send me another one in 2 days. Should I go that route with the $25 or wait to get a replacement in 2 years? lol

More about : dead drive

October 7, 2006 4:22:56 PM

Not to highjack this thread, but I have a very similar problem to the OP, where I swapped PSUs, I originally had an Enermax 430w, and swapped in a 700w OCZ GameXStream PSU.

When I tried booting up with the new PSU, it didn't work at first, and my WD Raptor 10k rpm 74gb drive suddenly started smelling like it was burnt, and now I can't get my mobo to detect it on bootup. Are our HD fried? And what would cause this to happen? Thanks for any info you can provide.
October 7, 2006 5:43:36 PM

You sure its only 24.99, they also tacked on a 8% tax of some sort for me making it closer to $27. However this includes free shipping. Upside is you get free return shipping which saves you $5-6.

Standard Replacement isn't that cheap either. While western digital will gladly let me return the drives the way they were shipped to me (ESD bag, bubble wrap, foam peanuts), Seagate explicitly forbids the use of bubble warp.

Instead they require it to ship in a box with solid foam 2" on each side of the drive.

http://www.wic-store.com/ sells the foam kits for $10 + $6 shipping and you will probably have to wait a couple weeks for it to be delivered. Plus $5-6 to ship to Seagate.

Going the slow route will save your $5-6 and you will have a box for future returns to Seagate.

I payed the $27 as my warranty is up in April and since I will probably only be buying WD drives from now on.

BTW Western Digital has free Advance Replacement so you only pay $5-6 for return shipping and don't have to worry about a box.

PS It might be a good idea to take a mutlimeter and test your PSU.

Also if your drive has both SATA power and regular power connections I hope you didn't try using both.
Related resources
October 8, 2006 2:34:25 AM

Quote:
You sure its only 24.99, they also tacked on a 8% tax of some sort for me making it closer to $27. However this includes free shipping. Upside is you get free return shipping which saves you $5-6.

Standard Replacement isn't that cheap either. While western digital will gladly let me return the drives the way they were shipped to me (ESD bag, bubble wrap, foam peanuts), Seagate explicitly forbids the use of bubble warp.

Instead they require it to ship in a box with solid foam 2" on each side of the drive.

http://www.wic-store.com/ sells the foam kits for $10 + $6 shipping and you will probably have to wait a couple weeks for it to be delivered. Plus $5-6 to ship to Seagate.

Going the slow route will save your $5-6 and you will have a box for future returns to Seagate.

I payed the $27 as my warranty is up in April and since I will probably only be buying WD drives from now on.

BTW Western Digital has free Advance Replacement so you only pay $5-6 for return shipping and don't have to worry about a box.

PS It might be a good idea to take a mutlimeter and test your PSU.

Also if your drive has both SATA power and regular power connections I hope you didn't try using both.

OMG first time I have had a problem with Seagate. BUT my WD is still running strong from 10 years ago! BUT it is only 2 GB :(  Anyway, do I really have to buy the foam? that is stupid, just makes people spend more money. LAST SEAGATE DRIVE I'LL BUY EVER!
October 8, 2006 2:44:23 AM

lol, sorry about your problem. Happened to me once. The computer shut off and it sounded like a pop noise like a lightbulb just burnt out and something smelled like a burning oil. Well just pay the stinking 25 and just bear and grin it. Seagate and WD both make wonderfull drives so dont "Never" buy Seagate but watch out what drive you buy next
October 8, 2006 4:15:24 AM

Quote:
lol, sorry about your problem. Happened to me once. The computer shut off and it sounded like a pop noise like a lightbulb just burnt out and something smelled like a burning oil. Well just pay the stinking 25 and just bear and grin it. Seagate and WD both make wonderfull drives so dont "Never" buy Seagate but watch out what drive you buy next
OK THX FOR ADVICE. I AM NOT REALLY NOT BEARING WITHIT :p  I GOT IT FOR $90 :p 
!