Scanner Problem Twain vs WIA

I purchased a Visioneer 9220 USB scanner. I am trying to install it along
with PaperPort Deluxe 9 Software. I can get the scanner to work fine using
One touch software but whenever I try to us Paperport I get the following
error. "unable to communicate with the twain device" I have tried using the
initwain.exe file, but it don't seem to work. How does one get a twain
device installed?

Dwburklo@nktelco.net
5 answers Last reply
More about scanner problem twain

    "Don Burklo" <Dwburklo@Nktelco.net> wrote in message news:<9Q1sc.4$R12.16086@news.uswest.net>...
    > I purchased a Visioneer 9220 USB scanner. I am trying to install it along
    > with PaperPort Deluxe 9 Software. I can get the scanner to work fine using
    > One touch software but whenever I try to us Paperport I get the following
    > error. "unable to communicate with the twain device" I have tried using the
    > initwain.exe file, but it don't seem to work. How does one get a twain
    > device installed?
    >
    > Dwburklo@nktelco.net

    I am having the same difficulty wtih an epson perfection 1660 photo.
    I have been communicating with the Scansoft support. They reinstall
    the latest drivers with no change in the error message.

    "casmerb" <burkejamest@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > "Don Burklo" <Dwburklo@Nktelco.net> wrote in message
    > > I purchased a Visioneer 9220 USB scanner. I am trying to install it
    along
    > > with PaperPort Deluxe 9 Software. I can get the scanner to work fine
    using
    > > One touch software but whenever I try to us Paperport I get the
    following
    > > error. "unable to communicate with the twain device" I have tried using
    the
    > > initwain.exe file, but it don't seem to work. How does one get a twain
    > > device installed?
    > >
    > > Dwburklo@nktelco.net
    <snip>

    See question number 8.
    http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220_troubleshooting.asp

    Have you been to the Visioneer Download site for your scanner?
    http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220downloads.asp

    Read the installation instructions.
    http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220userguide_beginner.asp

    http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220userguide_intermediate.asp

    http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220userguide_expert.asp

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    Yes, I have reviewed and tried the suggestions on these links. I can't seen
    to get a twain driver installed with any of the suggestions I have been able
    to find. The Scanport software states it will work with either driver, but
    all It ever asks for is a twain device when scanning from Scanport. The
    scanner will work through the One Touch software and I can scan into Word
    and other Microsoft applications. Scanport seems to present the problem.

    Do you have any other thoughts?

    "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > "casmerb" <burkejamest@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > "Don Burklo" <Dwburklo@Nktelco.net> wrote in message
    > > > I purchased a Visioneer 9220 USB scanner. I am trying to install it
    > along
    > > > with PaperPort Deluxe 9 Software. I can get the scanner to work fine
    > using
    > > > One touch software but whenever I try to us Paperport I get the
    > following
    > > > error. "unable to communicate with the twain device" I have tried
    using
    > the
    > > > initwain.exe file, but it don't seem to work. How does one get a
    twain
    > > > device installed?
    > > >
    > > > Dwburklo@nktelco.net
    > <snip>
    >
    > See question number 8.
    > http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220_troubleshooting.asp
    >
    > Have you been to the Visioneer Download site for your scanner?
    > http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220downloads.asp
    >
    > Read the installation instructions.
    > http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220userguide_beginner.asp
    >
    > http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220userguide_intermediate.asp
    >
    > http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220userguide_expert.asp
    >
    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > --

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Which software are you using, ScanPort or PaperPort?
    Is this your software?
    http://www.scansoft.com/paperport/deluxe/
    Manual download.
    http://support.scansoft.com/manuals/download.asp?ManualsSelect=PaperPort

    What operating system are you using? Does you scanner show in Device
    Manager?

    I am not familiar with ScanPort Software, but does ScanPort give you a
    choice in the scanner setup to use the manufactures Twain interface of the
    scanner or the built in interface in ScanPort?

    I Know that Omnipage software does in the scanner setup dialog (I think that
    there is an "Advanced" button). Omnipage is Scansoft software.

    Try the Scanner setup dialog again and choose the other option.

    Copied form the above PDF manual.
    Scan to the PaperPort desktop
    PaperPort is designed to work with TWAIN- and WIA-compatible scanners.
    Use the Scan pane to call up your scanner's program to bring images and
    documents into PaperPort so that you can use PaperPort's features.
    When the scan is complete, you will see your item on the PaperPort desktop.
    PaperPort makes it easy to scan pages as separate items or as a multi-page
    item.
    If your scanner does not use a TWAIN or WIA device driver, use
    the program that came with your scanner to scan items. Then, copy
    or move the scanned items to PaperPort.

    Refer to the PaperPort Help for more information about scanning.
    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > Yes, I have reviewed and tried the suggestions on these links. I can't
    seen
    > to get a twain driver installed with any of the suggestions I have been
    able
    > to find. The Scanport software states it will work with either driver, but
    > all It ever asks for is a twain device when scanning from Scanport. The
    > scanner will work through the One Touch software and I can scan into Word
    > and other Microsoft applications. Scanport seems to present the problem.
    >
    > Do you have any other thoughts?
    >

    > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > > "casmerb" <burkejamest@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > > "Don Burklo" <Dwburklo@Nktelco.net> wrote in message
    > > along
    > > using
    > > following
    > using
    > > the
    > twain

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > See question number 8.
    > > http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220_troubleshooting.asp
    > >
    > > Have you been to the Visioneer Download site for your scanner?
    > > http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220downloads.asp
    > >
    > > Read the installation instructions.
    > > http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220userguide_beginner.asp
    > >
    > > http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220userguide_intermediate.asp
    > >
    > > http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220userguide_expert.asp
    > >
    > > --
    > > CSM1
    > > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > > --

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Sorry for the error. I am using Paperport software, version 8 SE came with
    my Visioneer 9220 USB scanner. I am running Windows XP PRO. I originally
    installed Paperport V8 and was getting this error, I had purchased a upgrade
    to Paperport V9 deluxe so I installed it with no change. I have downloaded
    the latest One Touch software and drivers from the Visioneer web site and
    installed them. I also downloaded and installed the Paperport patch from
    Scansoft. I have tried the initwain.exe with no success. My only two
    selections in Paperport are "visioneer Scan Manager Pro" & "WIA-Visioneer
    9220 Scanner" and using either gives me the "Unable to communicate with the
    twain device" error. I also don't have a "Select Source" under the file
    dropdown.

    I found one FAQ concerning "USB scanner has no TWAIN button in paperport or
    the select source is grayed out". It stated there was a problem with the
    DRVIDX.BIN file, I followed these instructions to resolve with no success. I
    have also removed the device and Paperport and One Touch software from the
    system and reinstalled with no change.

    The scanner does appear in Device manger. My confusion lies in the fact I
    had a Visioneer 8920 scanner and Paperport V9 Deluxe installed and
    operating.

    Thanks for any advice you may have,

    Don Burklo

> [...]
    but
    > > all It ever asks for is a twain device when scanning from Scanport. The
    > > scanner will work through the One Touch software and I can scan into
    Word
    > > and other Microsoft applications. Scanport seems to present the problem.
    > >
    > > Do you have any other thoughts?
    > >

    > > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > > > "casmerb" <burkejamest@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > > along
    > > > using
    > > > following
    > > using
    > > > the
    > > twain

    > > > <snip>
    > > >
    > > > See question number 8.
    > > > http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/9220_troubleshooting.asp
    > > >
    > > > Have you been to the Visioneer Download site for your scanner?

Scanners Twain Devices Software Peripherals