gentrinity

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
I am currently looking to get as much RAM as possible because of the RAM hungry apps I plan on using (photoshop, illustrator, after effects, and premiere)

I am obviously going to install windows 64bit

I have searched for options but I cant seem to find anything that supporst Socket 775.

Am i going to have to get a Xeon so I can get the extra RAM?

gentrinity

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Ok, what am I supposed to buy exactly?

This
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820134056

Dude, how in the heck am I supposed to get a mobo that supports 6GBs of RAM it has are 4 ddr2 slots?

Obviously, if I could get a 2GB ddr2 stick, I would be in heaven, but I cant seem to find any so I need to get a server mobo that has 6 or more ddr2 slots. But thats not such a good option either, so I need to try and get 6GBs for Conroe system.

gentrinity

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
what about this one?

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.Asp?IMODULE=CT25672AB53E

What about the one I posted?

I working on my search methods, but I admit, theyre still not polished >.<

I also need to do research on ECC, unbuffered and all that registered stuff. Dont really know what any of that stuff is. All I know is that I really dont need 667, I am more than happy with 533, since I read enough reviews saying that the difference between the two isnt by any means great. Sometimes, the 533 even beat out the 667, I guess its the advantage of running 1:1 ratio, and I dont plan on overclocking anyway.

I really dont want to pay too much to get the 4GB kit. Maybe $350 per 2GB stick. Ill continue looking. Thanks alot!!!

Do you have any benchmarks that show what kind of performance increase Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects & Premiere get going from 4GB to 8GB of DDR2 RAM? What about SMP processing benchmarks going from 2 CPU cores to 4 CPU cores?

What video hardware are you going to be using? I think you can increase your rendering speed better by getting some hardware rendering support rather than going from 4GB to 8GB RAM.

You do know that the Zeon 5150 is essentially the same CPU as the Conroe E6600, right?

gentrinity

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
I know, but thanks to these benchmarks I saw, in single processor mode, the Conroe chip almost always beat the Xeon chip at the respect speed. Its because of the Xeons bad memory management or something of that nature, something very bad considering that I plan on using very RAM intensive apps.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=5160vs6800&page=1

=============================================

I have been doing my research and found the following memory

http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?id=514

I am currently researching compatability.

============================================

This forum is some compiled quotes I got directly from the Adobe web site.
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1284886

I plan on having illustrator, photoshop, after effects, and premier all open at the same time. So you can imagine that if Photoshop alone uses 3GBs when set to max, imagine the rest.

As noted by Adobe, rather the lack of noting, video solutions are not that important, other than in the video apps where Direct 3D and Open Gl cards improve performance. The X1900XT is a very good direct 3d performer and an average open gl performer. If I get to a point where getting a quadro or firegl card is necessary, i will pull the trigger. Thats why im getting a board with two PCI Express slots so I can have both, one for gaming and one for work, then install a boot drive and switch the corresponding card on. Thats why Xeons are out of the question.

Adobe products are CPU, RAM, and HD intensive, in that order, but it wouldnt hurt to research for appropriate video solutions. If you can recommend anything, I would be much appreciated.

==============================================

I dont see myself doing way too heavy video work for that kind of a purchase of a high end vid card, nore the need for a RAID 0 config with two raptor 150s.

Same with the 8GBs, but I would prefer purchasing the first kit now, and get 4GBs and leave room for the upgrade later.

The idea is to make a computer upgrade in about 5 or 6 months where by that time, my learning capacity and skill should demand a higher performance level, hence I would upgrade with the following;

Quadro 1500 (or whatever is good at the time)
Kentsfield
Second Raptor 150 for RAID 0
Get the second kit of 4GBs to have 8GBs

Mushkin

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Am i going to have to get a Xeon so I can get the extra RAM?

The processor price for a Xeon is pretty comparable to the Core 2 Duo. Motherboards will be a little more expensive. The advantage being you can use lower density RAM, though the Full buffered may still be more expensive. Should be pretty easy to find a workstation board with 8 FB-DIMM slots.

Mondoman

Splendid
From the Adobe website you linked above:
When you run Photoshop CS2 on a computer with a 64-bit processor (such as a, Intel Xeon processor with EM64T, AMD Athlon 64, or Opteron processor), and running a 64-bit version of the operating system (Windows XP Professional x64 Edition), that has 4 GB or more of RAM, Photoshop will use 3 GB for it's image data. You can see the actual amount of RAM Photoshop can use in the Maximum Used By Photoshop number when you set the Maximum Used by Photoshop slider in the Memory & Image Cache preference to 100%. The RAM above the 100% used by Photoshop, which is from approximately 3 GB to 3.7 GB, can be used directly by Photoshop plug-ins (some plug-ins need large chunks of contiguous RAM), filters, actions, etc. If you have more than 4 GB (to 6 GB), the RAM above 4 GB is used by the operating system as a cache for the Photoshop scratch disk data. Data that previously was written directly to the hard disk by Photoshop, is now cached in this high RAM before being written to the hard disk by the operating system. If you are working with files large enough to take advantage of these extra 2 GB of RAM, the RAM cache can speed performance of Photoshop.

-> There were no similiar notes on optimizing performance for Illustrator, After Effects & Premiere. I havent seen anything saying those 3 components could benefit from 8GB.

8GB seems like a Very Expensive RAM cache IMO.
It sounds like your plan to get 1x4GB kit now and evaluate upgrades as your skill & future requirements dictate is the smart move.
Especially if settling for a 4GB total would doesnt look attractive from a price/performance standpoint to you.

gentrinity

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
I know they dont mention it but After Effects doesnt have to mention how RAM hungry it is, you know it.

Adobe will be using up 3Gbs, but what about all the other plethera of apps I plan on running at the same time. Thats where the true beauty of this will come in handy. I usually have multiple apps open so I think 4GB is basically a must if I want to maintain very high performance levels.

Regarding your suggestion, I dont plan on getting the 8GBs right now, I will get a Mushkin 4GB kit (2x2GB), and start out with that. Its actually faily cheap compared to other memory out there.

http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?id=514

I am currently reaserching compatibility.