Desktop icons unresponsive after opening and closing explorer

Ron Williams

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
I'm running Windows 7 on a Dell Insprion laptop and using dual monitors. The desktop is frozen with no response from either the mouse/keyboard. I can use the startup, internet and other items in the taskbar. Any suggestions? Please!

sandrolee123123

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

I suggest you do safe boot . Safe mode starts Windows with a limited set of files and drivers.Startup programs do not run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start .
1. To boot into Safe Mode, restart the computer and tap the F8 key for about four to five times.
If it works fine in Safe Mode, let us put your Computer in Clean Boot to find out if any of the startup application is causing the issue.

Clean Boot will help you start your computer by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs so that you can determine whether a background
program or any of the third party service is interfering with your program.

Steps to perform a Clean Boot:

1. Click Start on your Desktop
2. Type msconfig in the Start Search box and then press ENTER.
(If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.)
3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
4. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
5. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
6. Click OK.
7. When you are prompted, click Restart.
To return your computer back to normal boot:
1. Click Start on your Desktop
2. Type msconfig in the Start Search box and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
3. Click the General tab.
4. Click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.
5. When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.
Also run a virus in safe mode . Hope that helps :D