Not enough free system memory - Help, please

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98,alt.win98,alt.windows98,comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

I use a Win98 system with 256K RAM, and Visioneer PaperPort Version
3.0, along with a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 4c.

I have never had a problem in the past with PaperPort, but today got
the following error message while scanning:

PaperPort File Export/Import Filter

Not enough free system memory to load image file
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\~max4146.TMP.

I restarted my computer, but got the same error message again, even
though I'd not started any programs after rebooting and starting
PaperPort, so am guessing that some programs that are loading
automatically upon starting my computer are taking up too much room.

How can I find what is using up my system memory, and to change the
settings so that this system memory problem doesn't happen?

Thanks in advance.
12 answers Last reply
More about free system memory help please
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98,alt.win98,alt.windows98,comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    thats wrote:

    > I use a Win98 system with 256K RAM, and Visioneer PaperPort Version
    > 3.0, along with a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 4c.
    >
    > I have never had a problem in the past with PaperPort, but today got
    > the following error message while scanning:
    >
    > PaperPort File Export/Import Filter
    >
    > Not enough free system memory to load image file
    > C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\~max4146.TMP.
    >
    > I restarted my computer, but got the same error message again, even
    > though I'd not started any programs after rebooting and starting
    > PaperPort, so am guessing that some programs that are loading
    > automatically upon starting my computer are taking up too much room.
    >
    > How can I find what is using up my system memory, and to change the
    > settings so that this system memory problem doesn't happen?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Delete all files and subfolders of the C:\Windows\Temp folder. Then
    these files can be be written, and accessed properly.

    --

    Joe =o)
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98,alt.win98,alt.windows98,comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 18:31:03 -0400, Elmo the Geek
    <elmogeek@iglou.invalid> wrote:

    >thats wrote:
    >>
    >> I use a Win98 system with 256K RAM, and Visioneer PaperPort Version
    >> 3.0, along with a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 4c.
    >>
    >> I have never had a problem in the past with PaperPort, but today got
    >> the following error message while scanning:
    >>
    >> PaperPort File Export/Import Filter
    >>
    >> Not enough free system memory to load image file
    >> C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\~max4146.TMP.
    >>
    >> I restarted my computer, but got the same error message again, even
    >> though I'd not started any programs after rebooting and starting
    >> PaperPort, so am guessing that some programs that are loading
    >> automatically upon starting my computer are taking up too much room.
    >>
    >> How can I find what is using up my system memory, and to change the
    >> settings so that this system memory problem doesn't happen?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Delete all files and subfolders of the C:\Windows\Temp folder. Then
    >these files can be be written, and accessed properly.

    I just followed your suggeston, but it did not work. Am still getting
    that same error message. Any further suggestions will be appreciated.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98,alt.win98,alt.windows98,comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    thats wrote:

    >> Delete all files and subfolders of the C:\Windows\Temp folder.
    >> Then these files can be be written, and accessed properly.
    >
    > I just followed your suggeston, but it did not work. Am still
    > getting that same error message. Any further suggestions will be
    > appreciated.

    Reboot?

    --
    dadiOH
    _____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
    ____________________________
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98,alt.win98,alt.windows98,comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    > I use a Win98 system with 256K RAM, and Visioneer PaperPort Version
    > 3.0, along with a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 4c.
    >
    > I have never had a problem in the past with PaperPort, but today got
    > the following error message while scanning:
    >
    > PaperPort File Export/Import Filter
    >
    > Not enough free system memory to load image file
    > C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\~max4146.TMP.

    > How can I find what is using up my system memory, and to change the
    > settings so that this system memory problem doesn't happen?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    It is most likely lack of disk space and not memory.

    MJP
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98,alt.win98,alt.windows98,comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 23:18:41 +0100, "MJP" <mjpjunk32@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >> I use a Win98 system with 256K RAM, and Visioneer PaperPort Version
    >> 3.0, along with a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 4c.
    >>
    >> I have never had a problem in the past with PaperPort, but today got
    >> the following error message while scanning:
    >>
    >> PaperPort File Export/Import Filter
    >>
    >> Not enough free system memory to load image file
    >> C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\~max4146.TMP.
    >

    >> How can I find what is using up my system memory, and to change the
    >> settings so that this system memory problem doesn't happen?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >
    >It is most likely lack of disk space and not memory.
    >
    >MJP

    I have two hard drives. C drive is a 19 GB drive with 3.85 GB
    available, and my D drive is a 111 GB drive with 9.45 GB available.
    What is the minimum that drive C should have available?
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98,alt.win98,alt.windows98,comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:07:54 -0400, "dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net>
    wrote:

    >thats wrote:
    >
    >>> Delete all files and subfolders of the C:\Windows\Temp folder.
    >>> Then these files can be be written, and accessed properly.
    >>
    >> I just followed your suggeston, but it did not work. Am still
    >> getting that same error message. Any further suggestions will be
    >> appreciated.
    >
    >Reboot?

    I have indeed rebooted, but still get the same error message.
    Moreover, I've cleaned out additional space on my C hard drive, and
    now have 6.12 GB available. I *think* the problem has to do with
    system memory, i.e., not enough memory is available even right after
    rebooting my computer.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98,alt.win98,alt.windows98,comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Last Paperport that I got was version 7.0 That was in Dec 2000. So,
    methinks, there may be a genuine memory usability limitation with version
    3.0 Namely, it may simply not recognize the amount of memory you have.
    "thats" <thats@thewayitis.com> wrote in message
    > I use a Win98 system with 256K RAM, and Visioneer PaperPort Version
    > 3.0, along with a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 4c.
    >
    > I have never had a problem in the past with PaperPort, but today got
    > the following error message while scanning:
    >
    > PaperPort File Export/Import Filter
    >
    > Not enough free system memory to load image file
    > C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\~max4146.TMP.
    >

    > I restarted my computer, but got the same error message again, even
    > though I'd not started any programs after rebooting and starting
    > PaperPort, so am guessing that some programs that are loading
    > automatically upon starting my computer are taking up too much room.
    >
    > How can I find what is using up my system memory, and to change the
    > settings so that this system memory problem doesn't happen?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98,alt.win98,alt.windows98,comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Start->Run->MSCONFIG

    turn off some of the things that are loading at startup. You can also
    try manually setting your swap file to a larger size...if you have 6
    GB available on your C: drive, set it for a 1GB min and no max.

    Good Luck...
    GLCrews,MCP

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 02:06:33 GMT, thats <thats@thewayitis.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:07:54 -0400, "dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net>
    >wrote:

    >>> I just followed your suggeston, but it did not work. Am still
    >>> getting that same error message. Any further suggestions will be
    >>> appreciated.
    >>
    >>Reboot?
    >
    >I have indeed rebooted, but still get the same error message.
    >Moreover, I've cleaned out additional space on my C hard drive, and
    >now have 6.12 GB available. I *think* the problem has to do with
    >system memory, i.e., not enough memory is available even right after
    >rebooting my computer.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 22:04:32 GMT, thats <thats@thewayitis.com> wrote:

    >I use a Win98 system with 256K RAM, and Visioneer PaperPort Version
    >3.0, along with a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 4c.
    >
    > Not enough free system memory to load image file
    > C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\~max4146.TMP.

    Only a guess, but could you have a problem that restricts your virtual
    memory ? Perhaps it is disabled or your disk is so full that W98
    doesn't want to allocate any more swap space.

    I only have 256MB on my PC and it handles everything even when allocated
    memory is up to 700MB (but it thrashes a lot and is pretty slow).

    -- Steven
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98,alt.win98,alt.windows98,comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    thats wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:07:54 -0400, "dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net>
    > wrote:

    >>> I just followed your suggeston, but it did not work. Am still
    >>> getting that same error message. Any further suggestions will be
    >>> appreciated.
    >>
    >> Reboot?
    >
    > I have indeed rebooted, but still get the same error message.
    > Moreover, I've cleaned out additional space on my C hard drive, and
    > now have 6.12 GB available. I *think* the problem has to do with
    > system memory, i.e., not enough memory is available even right after
    > rebooting my computer.

    Regarding free space on your hard drive, you have more than I do. Mine has
    3.36GB free out of the 7.82GB in the partition. As far as start up programs
    go, I have a ton of little utilities loading...29 total counting everything.
    Once in a long while I get that same message (usually when I start Winamp
    which I do first thing) but rebooting always fixed it.

    A couple of programs that might help you figure out what's going on...

    TaskInfo is the best and most complete. Not free but has a 30 day trial.
    http://www.iarsn.com/

    Process Viewer
    http://www.xmlsp.com/pview/prcview.htm

    Process Explorer
    http://www.sysinternals.com/

    You might want to run SFC to see if some Windows file is missing/messed up.

    --
    dadiOH
    _____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
    ____________________________
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98,alt.win98,alt.windows98,comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    reordered TheCrewser post to provide flow of conversation rather than
    playing hopscotch with words:

    "TheCrewser" <NOSPAM@MYMAIL.COM> wrote in message

    > On Tue, 25 May 2004 02:06:33 GMT, thats <thats@thewayitis.com> wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:07:54 -0400, "dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net>
    > >wrote:

    > >>Reboot?
    > >
    > >I have indeed rebooted, but still get the same error message.
    > >Moreover, I've cleaned out additional space on my C hard drive, and
    > >now have 6.12 GB available. I *think* the problem has to do with
    > >system memory, i.e., not enough memory is available even right after
    > >rebooting my computer.
    >

    > Start->Run->MSCONFIG
    >
    > turn off some of the things that are loading at startup. You can also
    > try manually setting your swap file to a larger size...if you have 6
    > GB available on your C: drive, set it for a 1GB min and no max.
    >
    > Good Luck...
    > GLCrews,MCP

    Try moving the temp file to D, move the swap file to D, and empty them.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    "thats" <thats@thewayitis.com> wrote in message
    > I use a Win98 system with 256K RAM, and Visioneer PaperPort Version
    > 3.0, along with a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 4c.
    >
    > I have never had a problem in the past with PaperPort, but today got
    > the following error message while scanning:
    >
    > PaperPort File Export/Import Filter
    >
    > Not enough free system memory to load image file
    > C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\~max4146.TMP.
    >

    > I restarted my computer, but got the same error message again, even
    > though I'd not started any programs after rebooting and starting
    > PaperPort, so am guessing that some programs that are loading
    > automatically upon starting my computer are taking up too much room.
    >
    > How can I find what is using up my system memory, and to change the
    > settings so that this system memory problem doesn't happen?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Searching with Google using keyword: PaperPort "Not enough free system
    memory to load image file", I got three results which exactly describe your
    problem, but they are in Chinese.

    ------------
    (My translation)

    Troubleshooting - When I am using PaperPort to scan, "Not Engouh Free System
    Memory To Load Image File" error message appears, how do I solve it?

    There are two reasons produce this error: 1.System resource is lower than
    80%. 2.PaperPort software damaged, you can solve through the following two
    ways:

    1. Check system resource

    Temporarily close all active applications.
    Execute "Start"->"Settings"->"Control Panel"->"System"->"Performance", and
    check whether system resource is lower than 80%.

    2.Reinstall PaperPort

    Execute "Start"->"Programs"->"PaperPort"->"Uninstall". At the same time,
    hold down Ctrl+Alt+Del, close all active applications, and delete the
    following files: Accugld5.dll, Accuifgl.dll, Lead50.dll, Leaddib.drv,
    Maxlink.ini, Dib.drv, Maxprcap.drv, Calera.ini. Reinstall PaperPort.

    ------------
    (Original message in Chinese BIG5)

    ???? - ???PaperPort?????,??Not Enough Free System Memory To Load Image
    File?????,?????
    ????????????? 1.??????80% 2.PaperPort????,?????????????:

    (?)??????

    (?)????PaperPort

    ????Ctrl+Alt+Del,???????????
    ??????Accugld5.dll, Accuifgl.dll, Lead50.dll, Leaddib.drv, Maxlink.ini,
    Dib.drv, Maxprcap.drv, Calera.ini
    ????PaperPort

Scanners Error Message Memory Peripherals