Partition HD in XP and Win 98

November 24, 2004 3:19:02 AM

Hi,

I have two PCs that are running in different OS ie 98 and another in XP.

Need to know the steps to partition the hard disks operating in both systems
without using any third party software please. Am prepared to lose all data
as I would like to reformat the systems as well. Also, how do L allocate the
sizes of the drives e.g. 40 GB for C: and another 40 GB for D:

Thanks for the advice and help.

More about : partition win

Anonymous
November 24, 2004 10:14:52 AM

Sharul,

You can use a Win98 Boot disk with FDISK to repartition. Or you can use the
disk manager option inside windows 2000 or xp. However the disk manager
option will not allow you to mess around with the currently mounted drive
(ie. C: drive). If your goal is to format each machine and install both
Win98 and XP, please post a reply.

Best Regards,
G. Samuel Hays

"Sharul" <Sharul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 11A74E5-AF65-4F18-9891-AF161C662B60@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have two PCs that are running in different OS ie 98 and another in XP.
>
> Need to know the steps to partition the hard disks operating in both
> systems
> without using any third party software please. Am prepared to lose all
> data
> as I would like to reformat the systems as well. Also, how do L allocate
> the
> sizes of the drives e.g. 40 GB for C: and another 40 GB for D:
>
> Thanks for the advice and help.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 11:06:15 AM

If you have an XP CD go here and look for How To Partition
or
If you have a Windows 98 Start up floppy go here
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~mrscary/fdisk.htm - you will need to use
the option to Delete Non-Dos partitions.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Sharul" <Sharul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 11A74E5-AF65-4F18-9891-AF161C662B60@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have two PCs that are running in different OS ie 98 and another in XP.
>
> Need to know the steps to partition the hard disks operating in both
> systems
> without using any third party software please. Am prepared to lose all
> data
> as I would like to reformat the systems as well. Also, how do L allocate
> the
> sizes of the drives e.g. 40 GB for C: and another 40 GB for D:
>
> Thanks for the advice and help.
November 24, 2004 12:09:29 PM

Hi, Sharul.

The others have told you how to partition and format, but remember three
basic rules:

1. MS-DOS and Win9x/ME cannot read, write, boot from or even SEE a volume
formatted as NTFS.

2. Always install the newest Windows version LAST.

3. No matter how many volumes (primary partitions and logical drives) you
have, the boot process must always start in the "system partition", which is
the first primary partition on the first physical drive - almost always
Drive C:.

Combining rules 1 and 3 means that Drive C: must be formatted FAT (16 or
32). Also, the volume where Win98 will be installed must also be FAT. And
any applications or data to be accessed from Win98 must be on FAT volumes.
Since Win98 can't even SEE an NTFS volume, drive letters for FAT volumes
following an NTFS volume will not be the same in Win98 and WinXP unless you
specifically assign letters using Device Manager (in Win98) and Disk
Management (in WinXP). So long as you plan to continue using Win98 on this
computer, you might want to format all volumes on it as FAT; when you retire
Win98, you can convert them all to NTFS for its greater security features.

So, partition your drive in the sizes you prefer, using FDISK. (You could
boot from the WinXP CD-ROM and let it partition the drive, then abort the
setup, but it's probably easier to use FDISK.) Then format Drive C: as
FAT32, using Format.com from the DOS boot disk. If you plan to install
Win98 on D: or any volume other than C:, format that volume as FAT32, also.

Then boot from the Win98 CD-ROM and install Win98 as usual, choosing the
volume you prefer. Then boot from the WinXP CD-ROM and install WinXP into a
different partition. WinXP Setup will detect the existing Win98 and will
automatically create the dual-boot system. It will overwrite the boot
sector on C: with the NT-style sector, after saving the DOS-style sector in
a new file, C:\bootsect.dos; copy WinXP's system files (C:\NTLDR and
C:\NTDETECT.COM); and create C:\Boot.ini. Then it will install WinXP into
the volume you have selected. If you choose to install Win98 on C: and
WinXP on D:, your "boot folders" will be C:\Windows for Win98 and D:\Windows
for WinXP.

You will need to install each of your applications twice if you want to run
them from both OSes so that the app's Setup process can add the proper
entries to each OS's Registry. Win98 and WinXP can share executables and
data, but they can't share Registries.

We see many posts here from users who have installed WinXP first, formatting
drive C: as NTFS, and now want to add Win9x/ME. Because they have not
observed the 3 basic rules, they must start over by reformatting C:. :>(

Sizes of the volumes must be determined by you, based on your own
organization preferences. The Win98 boot volume must be at least a GB or
so; the WinXP boot volume should be at least 5 GB, and 10 GB is a safer
minimum because many applications - and WinXP itself - will put some stuff
there even if you try hard to keep as much as you can in other volumes. You
may or may not want to keep applications in a separate volume and data in
still another; that is up to you and the sizes will depend on your own
needs.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Sharul" <Sharul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 11A74E5-AF65-4F18-9891-AF161C662B60@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have two PCs that are running in different OS ie 98 and another in XP.
>
> Need to know the steps to partition the hard disks operating in both
> systems
> without using any third party software please. Am prepared to lose all
> data
> as I would like to reformat the systems as well. Also, how do L allocate
> the
> sizes of the drives e.g. 40 GB for C: and another 40 GB for D:
>
> Thanks for the advice and help.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 2:21:29 PM

In news:D 11A74E5-AF65-4F18-9891-AF161C662B60@microsoft.com,
Sharul <Sharul@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I have two PCs that are running in different OS ie 98 and
> another in
> XP.
>
> Need to know the steps to partition the hard disks operating in
> both
> systems without using any third party software please.

For Windows 98, boot from a diskette with FDISK on it (most boot
diskettes will have it) and follow the prompts.

For Windows XP, boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot
order if necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for
a clean installation (delete the existing partition by pressing
"D" when prompted, then create a new one).
You can find detailed instructions here:

or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

> Am prepared to
> lose all data as I would like to reformat the systems as well.
> Also,
> how do L allocate the sizes of the drives e.g. 40 GB for C: and
> another 40 GB for D:

Follow the prompts and menus. You'll see the choices to allocate
space as you want to.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 2:41:54 PM

In news:u2GsZej0EHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
R. C. White <rc@corridor.net> typed:

> The others have told you how to partition and format, but
> remember
> three basic rules:
>
> 1. MS-DOS and Win9x/ME cannot read, write, boot from or even
> SEE a
> volume formatted as NTFS.

RC, note that Sharul is running 98 and XP on two different
computers, so this shouldn't be an issue to him.

The only reason I mention this at all is because he might be
planning to network the two computers together, and if so he
should note that Windows 98 has no problem accessing files on an
NTFS partition that is across the network. (Your point about
Windows 98's not being able to see the NTFS drive locally is of
course correct--at least not without special third-party
software.)

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Sharul" <Sharul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 11A74E5-AF65-4F18-9891-AF161C662B60@microsoft.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have two PCs that are running in different OS ie 98 and
>> another in
>> XP.
>> Need to know the steps to partition the hard disks operating
>> in both
>> systems
>> without using any third party software please. Am prepared to
>> lose
>> all data
>> as I would like to reformat the systems as well. Also, how do
>> allocate the
>> sizes of the drives e.g. 40 GB for C: and another 40 GB for D:
>>
>> Thanks for the advice and help.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 7:00:44 PM

Hi, Ken.

> RC, note that Sharul is running 98 and XP on two different computers, so
> this shouldn't be an issue to him.

Whoops! I (obviously) misinterpreted the message. I thought the goal was
to end up dual-booting on both computers. :>(

Thanks for the catch!

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> In news:u2GsZej0EHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> R. C. White <rc@corridor.net> typed:
>
>> The others have told you how to partition and format, but remember
>> three basic rules:
>>
>> 1. MS-DOS and Win9x/ME cannot read, write, boot from or even SEE a
>> volume formatted as NTFS.
>

> RC, note that Sharul is running 98 and XP on two different computers, so
> this shouldn't be an issue to him.
>
> The only reason I mention this at all is because he might be planning to
> network the two computers together, and if so he should note that Windows
> 98 has no problem accessing files on an NTFS partition that is across the
> network. (Your point about Windows 98's not being able to see the NTFS
> drive locally is of course correct--at least not without special
> third-party software.)

>> "Sharul" <Sharul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 11A74E5-AF65-4F18-9891-AF161C662B60@microsoft.com...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have two PCs that are running in different OS ie 98 and another in
>>> XP.
>>> Need to know the steps to partition the hard disks operating in both
>>> systems
>>> without using any third party software please. Am prepared to lose
>>> all data
>>> as I would like to reformat the systems as well. Also, how do L
>>> allocate the
>>> sizes of the drives e.g. 40 GB for C: and another 40 GB for D:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the advice and help.
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 11:03:02 AM

Hi,

It worked. Thanks.

"G. Samuel Hays" wrote:

> Sharul,
>
> You can use a Win98 Boot disk with FDISK to repartition. Or you can use the
> disk manager option inside windows 2000 or xp. However the disk manager
> option will not allow you to mess around with the currently mounted drive
> (ie. C: drive). If your goal is to format each machine and install both
> Win98 and XP, please post a reply.
>
> Best Regards,
> G. Samuel Hays
>

> "Sharul" <Sharul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 11A74E5-AF65-4F18-9891-AF161C662B60@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have two PCs that are running in different OS ie 98 and another in XP.
> >
> > Need to know the steps to partition the hard disks operating in both
> > systems
> > without using any third party software please. Am prepared to lose all
> > data
> > as I would like to reformat the systems as well. Also, how do L allocate
> > the
> > sizes of the drives e.g. 40 GB for C: and another 40 GB for D:
> >
> > Thanks for the advice and help.

Anonymous
November 25, 2004 11:03:03 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the advice and information.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> [...]
> needs.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Sharul" <Sharul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 11A74E5-AF65-4F18-9891-AF161C662B60@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have two PCs that are running in different OS ie 98 and another in XP.
> >
> > Need to know the steps to partition the hard disks operating in both
> > systems
> > without using any third party software please. Am prepared to lose all
> > data
> > as I would like to reformat the systems as well. Also, how do L allocate
> > the
> > sizes of the drives e.g. 40 GB for C: and another 40 GB for D:

November 25, 2004 11:05:02 AM

"R. C. White" wrote:

> [...]
> needs.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Sharul" <Sharul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 11A74E5-AF65-4F18-9891-AF161C662B60@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have two PCs that are running in different OS ie 98 and another in XP.
> >
> > Need to know the steps to partition the hard disks operating in both
> > systems
> > without using any third party software please. Am prepared to lose all
> > data
> > as I would like to reformat the systems as well. Also, how do L allocate
> > the
> > sizes of the drives e.g. 40 GB for C: and another 40 GB for D:

November 25, 2004 11:07:06 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the wonderful advice.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> [...]
> needs.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Sharul" <Sharul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 11A74E5-AF65-4F18-9891-AF161C662B60@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have two PCs that are running in different OS ie 98 and another in XP.
> >
> > Need to know the steps to partition the hard disks operating in both
> > systems
> > without using any third party software please. Am prepared to lose all
> > data
> > as I would like to reformat the systems as well. Also, how do L allocate
> > the
> > sizes of the drives e.g. 40 GB for C: and another 40 GB for D:

November 25, 2004 11:07:07 AM

Hi,

Thanks a million!

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:D 11A74E5-AF65-4F18-9891-AF161C662B60@microsoft.com,
> Sharul <Sharul@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > I have two PCs that are running in different OS ie 98 and
> > another in
> > XP.
> >
> > Need to know the steps to partition the hard disks operating in
> > both
> > systems without using any third party software please.
>

> For Windows 98, boot from a diskette with FDISK on it (most boot
> diskettes will have it) and follow the prompts.
>
> For Windows XP, boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot
> order if necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for
> a clean installation (delete the existing partition by pressing
> "D" when prompted, then create a new one).
> You can find detailed instructions here:
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm
>
> or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm
>

> > Am prepared to
> > lose all data as I would like to reformat the systems as well.
> > Also,
> > how do L allocate the sizes of the drives e.g. 40 GB for C: and
> > another 40 GB for D:
>

> Follow the prompts and menus. You'll see the choices to allocate
> space as you want to.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
November 25, 2004 11:09:04 AM

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Ken.
>
> > RC, note that Sharul is running 98 and XP on two different computers, so
> > this shouldn't be an issue to him.
>
> Whoops! I (obviously) misinterpreted the message. I thought the goal was
> to end up dual-booting on both computers. :>(
>
> Thanks for the catch!
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP

> > In news:u2GsZej0EHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> > R. C. White <rc@corridor.net> typed:
> >
> >> The others have told you how to partition and format, but remember
> >> three basic rules:
> >>
> >> 1. MS-DOS and Win9x/ME cannot read, write, boot from or even SEE a
> >> volume formatted as NTFS.
> >

> > RC, note that Sharul is running 98 and XP on two different computers, so
> > this shouldn't be an issue to him.
> >
> > The only reason I mention this at all is because he might be planning to
> > network the two computers together, and if so he should note that Windows
> > 98 has no problem accessing files on an NTFS partition that is across the
> > network. (Your point about Windows 98's not being able to see the NTFS
> > drive locally is of course correct--at least not without special
> > third-party software.)
> >

> > --
> > Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> >

> >> "Sharul" <Sharul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:D 11A74E5-AF65-4F18-9891-AF161C662B60@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
November 25, 2004 1:40:32 PM

In news:D 7BD9489-B088-486F-93E4-5D6B7BF607FF@microsoft.com,
Sharul <Sharul@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks a million!

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
>> In news:D 11A74E5-AF65-4F18-9891-AF161C662B60@microsoft.com,
>> Sharul <Sharul@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>> > I have two PCs that are running in different OS ie 98 and
>> > another in
>> > XP.
>> >
>> > Need to know the steps to partition the hard disks operating
>> > in
>> > both
>> > systems without using any third party software please.
>>

>> For Windows 98, boot from a diskette with FDISK on it (most
>> boot
>> diskettes will have it) and follow the prompts.
>>
>> For Windows XP, boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS
>> boot
>> order if necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts
>> for
>> a clean installation (delete the existing partition by
>> pressing
>> "D" when prompted, then create a new one).
>> You can find detailed instructions here:
>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>>
>> or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm
>>
>> or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm
>>

>> > Am prepared to
>> > lose all data as I would like to reformat the systems as
>> > well.
>> > Also,
>> > how do L allocate the sizes of the drives e.g. 40 GB for C:
>> > and
>> > another 40 GB for D:
>>

>> Follow the prompts and menus. You'll see the choices to
>> allocate
>> space as you want to.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
November 25, 2004 2:50:33 PM

In article <D11A74E5-AF65-4F18-9891-AF161C662B60@microsoft.com>,
Sharul@discussions.microsoft.com, =?Utf-8?B?U2hhcnVs?= says...

> Hi,
>
> I have two PCs that are running in different OS ie 98 and another in XP.
>
> Need to know the steps to partition the hard disks operating in both systems
> without using any third party software please. Am prepared to lose all data
> as I would like to reformat the systems as well. Also, how do L allocate the
> sizes of the drives e.g. 40 GB for C: and another 40 GB for D:
>
> Thanks for the advice and help.

With allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll these questions you ask you do
not know something as siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimple as this?

I see your tremendous amounts of posts & questions, WHY do you even own
or work on computers if you have sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many
problems??????????

Not being a smartass, just very curious.......
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 11:16:44 AM

Dude,

.... why are you posting a response when... apparently you L, I, O and ? keys
are broken? Or, maybe you're just being a dick to someone who has a
legitimate problem? This is Windows XP *BASICS* group. Get a life.

G. S. Hays

"ByTor" <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote in message
> In article <D11A74E5-AF65-4F18-9891-AF161C662B60@microsoft.com>,
> Sharul@discussions.microsoft.com, =?Utf-8?B?U2hhcnVs?= says...
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have two PCs that are running in different OS ie 98 and another in XP.
>>
>> Need to know the steps to partition the hard disks operating in both
>> systems
>> without using any third party software please. Am prepared to lose all
>> data
>> as I would like to reformat the systems as well. Also, how do L allocate
>> the
>> sizes of the drives e.g. 40 GB for C: and another 40 GB for D:
>>
>> Thanks for the advice and help.
>>

> With allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll these questions you ask you do
> not know something as siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimple as this?
>
> I see your tremendous amounts of posts & questions, WHY do you even own
> or work on computers if you have sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many
> problems??????????
>
> Not being a smartass, just very curious.......

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 11:29:05 AM

Hi,

Not sure if your comments even deserve a response...

Have a nice day!

!