CPU or Video card for still rendering?

mikeschn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
I've done a search, but I must not be using the right keywords, cause I am not finding the information I am looking for. So here's hoping someone can help...

I would like to build a new system. I do mostly CAD solid modeling and photo-realistic rendering, but the biggest bottle neck is when I create a photo-realistic rendering of my CAD model.

So my question is this: what is the most important factor that will speed up photo realistic rendering? If I have the option of putting my money into a top of the line CPU and a mid-range card, versus a mid range CPU and a top of the line card, which is better. And most importantly, why?

Thoughts?

Mike...

mikeschn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
I found this quote by duthoy...

but the realtime rendering to display on the screen is done in most CAD applications by openGL on the graphics card, BUT when you make a real render all of the calculations are done by the CPU

So that suggests that I get a really fast dual core CPU, and a lightweight graphics card.

Whatdaya think? And where does RAM factor in?

Mike...

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I found this quote by duthoy...

but the realtime rendering to display on the screen is done in most CAD applications by openGL on the graphics card, BUT when you make a real render all of the calculations are done by the CPU

So that suggests that I get a really fast dual core CPU, and a lightweight graphics card.

Whatdaya think? And where does RAM factor in?

Mike...

Not a bad plan. Look at a workstation GPU like the FireGL or Quardo. The more RAM you have the faster the system can render. Go 2GB now, 4GB if you plan to go Vista. For CPU look at the Core Duo E6600 with a nice overclock and you are in business.