Operating System Requirements for Scanners??

While looking to purchase a new scanner I noticed that several of the boxes
state that the scanner needs a "factory installed" version of Windows or an
"upgrade from a factory install". The Epson 1670 (my first choice) requires
this.

Why?! What would be the difference between a "Factory Install" and a
valid, functional "field install?"

Thanks,

Mark D. Fain

Tim

Nothing, what this means is it will work on Windows 98/ME/2000/XP full
installation or and upgrade to Windows ME/2000/XP. It will not work on
an upgrade from Windows 95 to any operating system, i.e. full install
of Windows 98 as a minimum starting point.

"Mark D. Fain" <fain@brightdsl.net> wrote in message news:<6JednWIPB9JPPCvd4p2dnA@bright.net>...
> While looking to purchase a new scanner I noticed that several of the boxes
> state that the scanner needs a "factory installed" version of Windows or an
> "upgrade from a factory install". The Epson 1670 (my first choice) requires
> this.
>
> Why?! What would be the difference between a "Factory Install" and a
> valid, functional "field install?"
>

> Thanks,
>

> Mark D. Fain

I bet that some big name firms just ignore "home installed" OS. They just
don't give any support. Presumably that way all possible faults from the
user side are already eliminated by the "factory". Funny enough my brother
has problems with not so few programs on his factory installed Dell PC,
while I have virtually none with my home built one.

"Tim" <tim_t7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Nothing, what this means is it will work on Windows 98/ME/2000/XP full
> installation or and upgrade to Windows ME/2000/XP. It will not work on
> an upgrade from Windows 95 to any operating system, i.e. full install
> of Windows 98 as a minimum starting point.
>
> "Mark D. Fain" <fain@brightdsl.net> wrote in message
> > While looking to purchase a new scanner I noticed that several of the
boxes
> > state that the scanner needs a "factory installed" version of Windows or
an
> > "upgrade from a factory install". The Epson 1670 (my first choice)
requires
> > this.
> >
> > Why?! What would be the difference between a "Factory Install" and a
> > valid, functional "field install?"
> >

> > Thanks,
> >

> > Mark D. Fain

"AS" posted:
"... I bet that some big name firms just ignore "home installed" OS. ..."

Do you know of any actual incidents? where a scanner manufacturer has refused to "support"
a product because in was installed on a "home brew" computer?

I recently contacted Epson regarding their published "System Requirements" for the
Perfection 4870 Scanner, questioning their line requiring Windows 98 *Second Edition* or
later as an operating system. Their response was that the scanner would work just fine
with any computer that had a properly functioning USB port of at least Version 1.1 ...
essentially NOT that it would *not* work with a computer running Windows 98 'First
Edition.'

"Home Brew" computers may be more prevalent than you think ... especially in the high-end
graphics field. EVERY computer I've run across in Pro-Photo Studios and Prepress Shops has
either been home-built or extensively modified by the user/owner ... and I imagine that
the run-of-the-mill graphics user has tweaked his hardware and software at least a little
bit specifically for his favorite graphics applications.

I think the "Factory Installed XXX" line on many of those System Requirements sheets is
Marketing Department CYA text. It might also be to discourage anyone from using an old
Windows 95 box that has been "updated" to run Windows XP.

IMHO: It really doesn't make any difference 'who' installs an 'Operating System' ... if
it's done correctly. I've received new computers that had the Operating System properly
installed by the "Factory," and systems that have been totally mucked up by the "Factory."