OS & CD Problems

November 24, 2004 11:09:00 AM

I have a home & an office computer with XP. I took two
formatted CDs with files already on them to my office
computer, which also has a floppy drive, so I could copy
files from the floppy to the CD. I copied the files with
no problems with 90% of the disk space still free.
However, when i inserted the CDs back into my home
computer, I now have a file on both of them named "Non-
Allocatable Space," a read-only hidden file with 0 Bytes
and both created on the same day of the office copying.
As a result of this file, both CDs have 0% free space and
i am unable to reformat them, change file names, etc. I
tried to remove the file but receive a message, which
states that cannot delete, saying the CD is read only &
cannot copy or move files to CD - although i'm not trying
to do the latter. Please help.

More about : problems

Anonymous
November 24, 2004 4:11:47 PM

If you copied files to the CD by saving directly to the CD or by dragging
and dropping the files directly to CD, you must have a packet writing
application installed on that system, both Nero and Roxio's Easy CD Creator
and Easy Media Creator include such an app in their default install. If
that is the case, assuming the home system does not have that type of
application installed, it's possible that is the source of the problem and
the solution would be to install that application on the home PC.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"donna" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a home & an office computer with XP. I took two
> formatted CDs with files already on them to my office
> computer, which also has a floppy drive, so I could copy
> files from the floppy to the CD. I copied the files with
> no problems with 90% of the disk space still free.
> However, when i inserted the CDs back into my home
> computer, I now have a file on both of them named "Non-
> Allocatable Space," a read-only hidden file with 0 Bytes
> and both created on the same day of the office copying.
> As a result of this file, both CDs have 0% free space and
> i am unable to reformat them, change file names, etc. I
> tried to remove the file but receive a message, which
> states that cannot delete, saying the CD is read only &
> cannot copy or move files to CD - although i'm not trying
> to do the latter. Please help.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 4:53:45 PM

i forgot to add that i copied the files from the floppy
directly onto the CD using Windows Explorer. There is a
program on the office computer for doing this but i have
never used it. It believe this may be important. Thanks.

Anonymous
November 27, 2004 1:28:11 PM

Yes, it is important and that pretty much conforms my original response to
you. The application installed on the Office computer enables packet
writing and if you don't have a packet writing application installed on your
home system, very often it cannot read disks created in that fashion.
Often, the application maker has a free reader that you can install on your
system although I'm not wild about them as they can sometimes be
problematic. Nonetheless, if you find the name of the application on the
Office computer, check the app's website for the reader. It may be called a
UDF reader or they may have some other name for it. Ideally, it would be
best to have some such packet writing application installed on your system.

--

!