what is core duo

rig_ster

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
What exactly is core duo? I currently have a P4 3.06Ghz HT.
I planning on building my first system soon and I wanted to know what is the currently or what will be (availible soon to the market) the best or one of the best intel or amd cpu's, I am more of a intel fan though(never had a AMD system b4).
All I know about CPUs is there clock speed, cache, and bus speed.
Could someone be kind enough to tell me what exactly is this dual core thing is about?
Also my current cpu is hyper threading technology, could some one pleased explain whats that is? and what advantages does dual core have over HT if there are any.
If you have any links that explains my questions please post I'll be sure to visit them.
I am not totally clueless to PCs, I am currently studing to become A+ Certified. I'm rust rusty on today's latest cpu technology.
As for the new PC I am looking for the most top of the line cpu for gaming, multitasking, and media. The reason I am asking for cpu that will be availible is because I will be waiting for windows vista to release b4 I start to build my first PC.

Any tips or links are welcome thanks

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
I planning on building my first system soon and I wanted to know what is the currently or what will be (availible soon to the market) the best or one of the best intel or amd cpu's, I am more of a intel fan though(never had a AMD system b4).
Could someone be kind enough to tell me what exactly is this dual core thing is about?
Also my current cpu is hyper threading technology, could some one pleased explain whats that is? and what advantages does dual core have over HT if there are any.
If you have any links that explains my questions please post I'll be sure to visit them.
I am not totally clueless to PCs, I am currently studing to become A+ Certified. I'm rust rusty on today's latest cpu technology.
As for the new PC I am looking for the most top of the line cpu for gaming, multitasking, and media. The reason I am asking for cpu that will be availible is because I will be waiting for windows vista to release b4 I start to build my first PC.

well lets see...core duo....aham...it`s the toughest meanest son of the b** cpu arround.....
best link
www.intel.com

p.s.
where have you been for the past weeks :D

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006

well lets see...core duo....aham...it`s the toughest meanest son of the b** cpu arround.....
best link
www.intel.com

p.s.
where have you been for the past years :D
Corrected! :tongue:

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006

best link
www.intel.com

p.s.
where have you been for the past years :D
Corrected! :tongue:

right sorry.... :mrgreen:

if you don't know these things you have a lot of studying to do.

HT hyper threading - make 1 core behaving like two cores by splitting taks into threads that can work in parallel.
C2D core 2 duo, latest intel processor, very quick, very overclockable, very cheap (compared to all prices at start of '06) is a developement of the mobile PIII's
Pentiums - old brand name for intel chips.

I would seriously consider how you are going to build your top of the line machine if you cannot even identify top of the line components, find a friend that knows what they are talking about so you don't get ripped off, and you sound like you will need a lot of help putting it together.

Or just ask us what components to buy and from where.
We also do that.

Is it just me or do we basically select entire systems for people more and more now?

I think that we do more and more now, (probably you and the other elders more than me :lol: ). Problem is people think that because they can order on line then they can build a system. I'd lay money on the OP coming back with questions about what goes in what slot. Its always their first post too... no adding to society and then taking from it, just take to start with.

Whats A+ certifcation anyway? I guess I'll know to ignore it when I am interviewing...

It worries me when i see some of the answers that some people give and they are being believed. Especially when someone who pushes themselves as if they really know what they are talking about comes on line and asks stupid questions about their own system.

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
duo is a brand for condoms!!!! lol!!!!

man you've been under a rock or what?
google it, go to wikipedia, go somewhere. There are tons of article regarding " core 2 duo " cpu's out there.

Don't be lazy. press that search button!!!!

CtrlAltDel

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Well spotted, I've gotten C2D blind...

I think most of the people here have, not too many posts really refer to core duo anymore. To the original poster, it may help to know that "conroe" = "core 2 duo" when searching.

Well spotted, I've gotten C2D blind...

I think most of the people here have, not too many posts really refer to core duo anymore. To the original poster, it may help to know that "conroe" = "core 2 duo" when searching.

to the OP as well. Dual core is having two CPU's in one package, dual CPU would be having two single core packages on one motherboard.

G

A+ is a general computer assembly/troubleshooting cetification, . Last I heard, it was a bit outadated, and you learned how to program Assembler and stuff lke that... but you also learn about the inside of computer and stuff liek that.

And euh WIKIPEDIA is the best.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page , no clicky, you got to work a bit and type anything you need to know =)