6ghost

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Ok,so i was thinking of a way to keep my GPU fan silent when there was no load on it, is it possible? Im using a 6600GT and the fan speed is not currently controlled.But is there a way to keep the fan speeds down when not under load(such as playing games) and keep fan speeds to the max when under load. Is it possible to connect the GPU fan to one of the headers on the motherboard for the case fan. Im using a P4,which controls the speed of the case,cpu fans according to cpu temperature. During playing games, does your CPU process information as your GPU does?,whenever the GPU processes,does the CPU process?. Will the CPU temperature rise as the GPU temperature rises? :roll:

See if this is what you need... found using Google so I can't vouch it will work with your make of 6600GT
Gainward ExperTool
"Gainward released an application called ExperTool if you install this and set the fan speed to ‘dynamic’ it takes the fan speed down to about 50% which is considerably less noisy. Even though the application is developed by Gainward because NVidia cards are mostly the same it will work on XFX and other brand cards."

Check this forum post first Nvidia forum: eVGA 6600GT Fan Noise/Speed, A Dilemma

You could also look into a fan replacement option such as the Zalman VF700 VGA Cooler. Just check to make sure your make and model of 6600GT is supported. http://www.zalmanusa.com/

6ghost

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
My Gpu doesnt support abbility to adjust fan speed through software. I decided to buy a aftermarket cooler, but just for interest what will happen if you connect it to the motherboard fan header.....which speed is controlled by the temperature of CPU

6ghost

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Thanks alot that makes sense,but then what if i connect it to the CPU fan connector(besides worrying about the amperage,as two fans are now connected).Does the CPU get hot at the same time the GPU does?

My Gpu doesnt support abbility to adjust fan speed through software. I decided to buy a aftermarket cooler, but just for interest what will happen if you connect it to the motherboard fan header.....which speed is controlled by the temperature of CPU

There is a bios hack for that card that either opens up temp monitoring or fan control I can't remember which, the link is on my main PC, I'll have a look later and post it.