Wireless/Ethernet Web Server

Greggers

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Hi all,

I am new to this forum so I apologise if my post is in the wrong location, if you point me in the right direction I will be happy to post there as well.

I am experienced in setting up PCs as webservers using Apache.. etc. At the moment I dont have room for a full PC to be sitting around my house acting as a server.

What I am looking for a piece of hardware, some sort of small box about the size of a broadband modem/router that can connect to either a wireless network or an ethernet network (I have both) and has a webserver built in. Ideally it would allow a Hard disk to be plugged in via USB so that the HDD can contain all the material to serve. I just want the box to contain the brains of the server.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Greg

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
You might try using a mini-itx or nano-itx formfactor PC. I put together a mini-itx machine at home to be my router/webserver and it works great. I found the smallest case possible for it (i'm sure a smaller one could be self made) and it is only a tad larger than my linksys wap54g accesspoint. You can even put a laptop hd/cdrom in it.
http://www.folken.net/router1.htm

thiggins

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006