anoying ticking sound in speakers on keypress

bboysil

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
My friends speakers makes a tic on every keypress and it's kind of annoying.
I also had a roommate with a similar problem but the sound was a buzz on every mouse move!!!

I've put the speakers away from the keyboard (mouse) but the noise was still there. Could it be that the signals interfere with each other inside the case, maybe on the motherboard? If so how could this be fixed, if not then what is the source of the noise?

Thanks

OK,this is just a guess...but maybe the speaker wires themselves need better resistance...maybe theyre picking up frequencies...and what speakers do you have?Could be them as well...sorta outta my league here but think Im close....

bboysil

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
...but maybe the speaker wires themselves need better resistance....

Better resistence?.... maybe you mean it needs shielding... or?

I'll tell you the configuratian in few days, i don't remember it right now( it's from a friend if mine)

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
It's interference. Turn the volume of the speakers up full and you might even recieve radio (though I'm applying guitar-logic to this one, might not happen)

bboysil

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
I was pretty sure it was interference, but on what level. I mean the air, at the connecors, or on on the sound card where the signal is converted to analog?

iioxfate

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
..... i have a razor diamondback mouse

everytime i scroll up and down i hear a tick, but occasionally not too often

and when the room is silent, and i start typing on the keyboard, occasionally i hear ticks but not as often as the mouse :eek:

i thought it was the speaker.. i tried turning off the speaker but it doesnt help :)

not a big annoyance so i left it :)

bboysil

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
..... i have a razor diamondback mouse

everytime i scroll up and down i hear a tick, but occasionally not too often...
i thought it was the speaker.. i tried turning off the speaker but it doesnt help :)...

In my case it is the speakers, if i turn the volume up i hear the sound louder, if i turn them off the sound stops, i also put the ear near the speker so i'm pretty sure it's the speaker :)

bboysil

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
It's interference. Turn the volume of the speakers up full and you might even recieve radio (though I'm applying guitar-logic to this one, might not happen)

I had a subwoofer on which i could listen to radio, but this isn't the case.
What's guitar logic? :)

Back to the question, if it is interference then why is it happening to the same speaker on one system but on others it doesn't. Is it the design of the motherboard? Maybe the parts that make electrical noise are to close to the soundcard? or the speakers have a bad design?
I am not affraid of technical details...

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
What's guitar logic?

I meant that I was speaking from my experience with guitar equipment (although it's quite different - tube amps and bigger transformers, plus the fact that pickups are supposed to...well, pick things up)

Cable shielding is probably the most important thing - I used crappy cables for a long time before switching to better ones for my guitar rig, and my interference was cut substantially (although it's still really bad - but that's because of where I live). My signal travels through about 80ft of cable, so good shielding is a must!! I'm sure the same applies to this situation.

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Yes shielding,insulation...I have logitech z5500's that emit a lil bump when certain things are turned on in the house...thats the shielding at the speaker,not the wiring tho

Hey Jay,
I also have the Z 5500's. So did you ever cure that "bumping" sound? Cuz whenever I turn off lights or bathroom fan, I ALSO get a bump or a sub woofer bump from the speakers. Now you said that it was the speaker sheild.....where would that be?? :?

If it's not the speakers then it would have to be the speaker wires. Just thinking out loud since B BOY is having a similar problem.

Lemme know K?

Antec P180 Performance Case
SeaSonic S12 600w PSU
Asus A8N32 SLI S-939 (bios 1103 V02.58 )
RealTek 97 Onboard
ATHLON 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core (AMD v 1.3.1.0/MS hotfix/ Dual Opt)
2 G's of Corsair 3500LL Pro @ 400Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG 7900 GT OC in SLI (NV 91.31)
WD RAPTOR 74.3 G's / XP Home / SP2 & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 G's /Gaming / Movies / MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 G's /backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Razer DiamondBack Optical mouse
Logitech Z-5500 Dolby Digital 5.1 THX 500w

If you ever go to logitech forums,they are full of the same problem,my guess its the pod,since my woofer is isolated from most things in a corner with my desk and other things covering it.Ive moved my speakers,and it is better,mainly because (I believe) the pod is more isolated.If its really bad,go to those logitech forums where theyve come up with a few helps

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Thanks bro, I will check it out tomorrow.
LIke I said, it's only when an upstairs switch is turned on or off, otherwise these speakers KICK SOME SERIOUS A$$ :)
cheers bro

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
It sounds like a ground isolation issue... If you guys are useing onboard sound, it may be the culprit... That or try to isolate the ground... Many ways.. google it.

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hey Clob,
As a matter of fact, I am using onboard sound. But if it IS the onboard, then how does one go about fixing it?

thelvyn

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
There is another alternative reason.
Some keyboards come with software and on some there is an option to make a sounds when you hit a key. I have run into this before but it has been a long time so I do not remember which keyboard/software it was anymore.

As for the guy with the light switch upstairs making sounds on his speakers why dont you just plug into a different circuit. That sounds like poor house wiring to me. Many older homes have 2 circiuts or even only 1 circuit for all the outlets/lights. You could have an electrician install a dedicated circuit and it would go away. My old apartment in an older building had 1 circuit for the lights AND the outlets. Nothing like turning on the vac and have it trip everything off(Including the damn refrigerator)

bboysil

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Some keyboards come with software and on some there is an option to make a sounds when you hit a key. I have run into this before but it has been a long time so I do not remember which keyboard/software it was anymore.

As for the guy with the light switch upstairs making sounds on his speakers why dont you just plug into a different circuit. That sounds like poor house wiring to me. Many older homes have 2 circiuts or even only 1 circuit for all the outlets/lights. You could have an electrician install a dedicated circuit and it would go away. My old apartment in an older building had 1 circuit for the lights AND the outlets. Nothing like turning on the vac and have it trip everything off(Including the damn refrigerator)

The keyboard is powered directy from the port, so how can i plug it elsewhere?

rubberjohnson

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006

The keyboard is powered directy from the port, so how can i plug it elsewhere?

Are you for real? :roll: go back and read the quoted comment again, and this time use your brain please

bboysil

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Another thing i'm curious about:

I had a lamp, and every time i turned on the lamp facing the wire of the mouse, the mouse soped responding, when i turned the lamp off or if faced it elsewhere, the mouse was working ok.

I've only tried this with the same mouse and lamp. I don't have that mouse or any lamp anymore. Could you try this at home, or have you ever seen or heard about something like this? Why is this happaning?

thanks

thelvyn

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Ok this is two dumb and dumber questions in a row from you.

So two options as I see it..

Either
1) Your a complete moron
Or
2) Your yanking our collective chain

I hope for your sake its option 2

bboysil

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Listen to me Thelvyn, yeah i admit i'm a bit lasy sometimes and i prefer to ask someone than to do some research but i know i'm smarter then you'l ever be.

I never understood why some ppl are this way on forumz and maybe i never will...

AndyAldrich

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hi Guys,
I'd just like to suggest a few issues/cures

The clicking, buzzing or ticking noises are likely to be results of emissions of other components in the PC. The speakers attached to your sound card are most likely to be attached to an analogue output and as such the signal from them is directly influenced by what the sound card is outputting.

You may have the gain (or volume, if you will) turned up too high on either your sound card or your speakers, so they're emitting more noise than they would at ideal levels. More expensive speakers have better shielding. You get what you pay for, I'm afraid.

You could also be getting interference if your PC is running on the same mains feed as your speakers. You can buy mains adaptors that 'clean up' your electricity feed. People who are keen on their hi-fis buy these sometimes.

Solutions:
1)Use a digital feed from your sound card / onboard sound card. Make sure it's set to output only digital signals, not a combination of digital and analogue. Using an A/V receiver, such as a dolby digital decoder that might come with a surround sound kit, you'll only be decoding what is pure audio. You may still get interference if your speakers are not connected to the A/V receiver with decent cabling.

2) Your problems could simply be because the sound card is inside your PC, which plugs into your mouse and keyboard (of course). Devices still use IRQs and so everything goes through the processor, so signals can still get mixed, so to speak. Overclocking and upping voltages can't help. Try buying a new soundcard which has an external breakout box, could help.