Where to get a scanner driver

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a b \ Driver
May 29, 2004 8:55:47 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a Trust Imagery 4800SP scanner at home which used to be hooked up to
an old Pentium PC of mine. It still is, but the Pentium is now running
Windows 2000 instead of Windows '95.

Recently I tried reinstalling the drivers for this scanner because I needed
it again. After a few attempts (which failed), I still could not use my
scanner so I turned to the Trust website for updated drivers.

However, I did not find any drivers. What I did find was a nice little
notice that my scanner could not be used anymore under Windows 2000 or XP!

Does anybody know of a way to get this scanner up and running under Windows
2000? I've tried a lot of different (related) drivers, but I cannot get it
to work.

Thanks in advance,

Princess Morgiah

More about : scanner driver

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 29, 2004 10:43:06 PM

"Princess Morgiah" <princess_morgiah_nospamplease@yahoo.com> wrote in
message news:ng3uc.137394$a01.6953100@phobos.telenet-ops.be...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a Trust Imagery 4800SP scanner at home which used to be hooked up
> an old Pentium PC of mine. It still is, but the Pentium is now running
> Windows 2000 instead of Windows '95.
>
> Recently I tried reinstalling the drivers for this scanner because I
needed
> it again. After a few attempts (which failed), I still could not use my
> scanner so I turned to the Trust website for updated drivers.
>
> However, I did not find any drivers. What I did find was a nice little
> notice that my scanner could not be used anymore under Windows 2000 or XP!
>
> Does anybody know of a way to get this scanner up and running under
Windows
> 2000? I've tried a lot of different (related) drivers, but I cannot get it
> to work.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Princess Morgiah

Get yourself an old Windows 98SE box and put the scanner on that box.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Get a new scanner, you cannot use Win9x/ME drivers on 2000 or XP.

Something like:
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4029152
or
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3384962
www.coribright.com

"Princess Morgiah" <princess_morgiah_nospamplease@yahoo.com> wrote in
message news:ng3uc.137394$a01.6953100@phobos.telenet-ops.be...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a Trust Imagery 4800SP scanner at home which used to be hooked up
> an old Pentium PC of mine. It still is, but the Pentium is now running
> Windows 2000 instead of Windows '95.
>
> Recently I tried reinstalling the drivers for this scanner because I
needed
> it again. After a few attempts (which failed), I still could not use my
> scanner so I turned to the Trust website for updated drivers.
>
> However, I did not find any drivers. What I did find was a nice little
> notice that my scanner could not be used anymore under Windows 2000 or XP!
>
> Does anybody know of a way to get this scanner up and running under
Windows
> 2000? I've tried a lot of different (related) drivers, but I cannot get it
> to work.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Princess Morgiah

a b \ Driver
May 30, 2004 12:05:49 AM

"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> "Princess Morgiah" <princess_morgiah_nospamplease@yahoo.com> wrote in
> message news:ng3uc.137394$a01.6953100@phobos.telenet-ops.be...
> > Hi everyone,
<snip>
> Get yourself an old Windows 98SE box and put the scanner on that box.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I had an old Windows 95 box, which I have
now upgraded to Windows 2000. I needed it to be a W2K box to run some tests,
now I wish I had left the '95 install.

I could always go back after the tests, but I don't feel like going back to
Windows '95.

Linux drivers are also not available from the site, so that path is blocked
as well.

Princess Morgiah
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 30, 2004 12:08:18 AM

"Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
news:p D5uc.14998$Tn6.12388@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Get a new scanner, you cannot use Win9x/ME drivers on 2000 or XP.
>
> Something like:
> http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4029152
> or
> http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3384962

I know I can't use them, therefor I'm looking for new (W2K) drivers.

Although I have considered the option to buy a new scanner (given the low
prices these days - my scanner was 450$ when I bought it), I don't feel like
buying a new scanner everytime MS decides to change their driver plans.

Besides, the scanner I now have is perfectly capable of doing it's job
according to my wishes.

Thanks for your reply,

Princess Morgiah
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 30, 2004 3:56:40 AM

Try
http://www.driverguide.com/
David

"Princess Morgiah" <princess_morgiah_nospamplease@yahoo.com> wrote in
message news:ng3uc.137394$a01.6953100@phobos.telenet-ops.be...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a Trust Imagery 4800SP scanner at home which used to be hooked up
> an old Pentium PC of mine. It still is, but the Pentium is now running
> Windows 2000 instead of Windows '95.
>
> Recently I tried reinstalling the drivers for this scanner because I
needed
> it again. After a few attempts (which failed), I still could not use my
> scanner so I turned to the Trust website for updated drivers.
>
> However, I did not find any drivers. What I did find was a nice little
> notice that my scanner could not be used anymore under Windows 2000 or XP!
>
> Does anybody know of a way to get this scanner up and running under
Windows
> 2000? I've tried a lot of different (related) drivers, but I cannot get it
> to work.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Princess Morgiah

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 30, 2004 10:15:52 AM

Even at http://www.scanner-drivers.com/companies/1080.htm there are none.

This scanner was designed around 1995. Trust went out of business, so they
did not write drivers. Microsoft has absolutely no responsibility to write
drivers for other manufacturer's hardware. Unless the manufacturer gave
their permission, it would also be unethical, and probably illegal, since it
would entail reverse engineering.

Your scanner has served you well. Even at the initial cost of $450, that
has been $45 per year. Now it's time to retire it, get something a LOT
faster that will give you results that are ten times better..... and cost
you ten times less.

Of course, you can also format your hard drive and go back to Windows95.
It's your own choice. No one forced you to upgrade to a later version of
Windows. If you love one particular piece of hardware that much, you MUST
do your research first and find out whether it is compatible with the
operating system of your choice before you change software. However would I
change from a stable and secure operating system like XP or 2000 and go back
to 95? Well, not a chance in hell... mainly because I like my P4 system and
Windows 95 and 98 really hate CPUs that fast. On a Windows 95 system I'd
not only have no USB 2.0, I'd have no USB at all!

Microsoft gave ALL hardware manufacturer's plenty of time to write new
drivers. If the manufacturers decided not to bother then it's not
Microsoft's fault. In the long run it's YOUR fault for not doing
sufficient homework before changing your O/S.
www.coribright.com

"Princess Morgiah" <princess_morgiah_nospamplease@yahoo.com> wrote in
message news:S46uc.137506$801.6951009@phobos.telenet-ops.be...

> I know I can't use them, therefor I'm looking for new (W2K) drivers.
>
> Although I have considered the option to buy a new scanner (given the low
> prices these days - my scanner was 450$ when I bought it), I don't feel
like
> buying a new scanner everytime MS decides to change their driver plans.
>
> Besides, the scanner I now have is perfectly capable of doing it's job
> according to my wishes.
>
> Thanks for your reply,
>
> Princess Morgiah

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 31, 2004 7:02:20 PM

> Even at http://www.scanner-drivers.com/companies/1080.htm there are none.
<snip>
> Your scanner has served you well. Even at the initial cost of $450, that
> has been $45 per year. Now it's time to retire it, get something a LOT
> faster that will give you results that are ten times better..... and cost
> you ten times less.

You've got a point. But it's still going to cost me more to buy a new
scanner, and that for a few scans I need to make.

> Of course, you can also format your hard drive and go back to Windows95.
> It's your own choice. No one forced you to upgrade to a later version of
> Windows. If you love one particular piece of hardware that much, you MUST
> do your research first and find out whether it is compatible with the
> operating system of your choice before you change software. However would
> change from a stable and secure operating system like XP or 2000 and go
back
> to 95? Well, not a chance in hell... mainly because I like my P4 system
and
> Windows 95 and 98 really hate CPUs that fast. On a Windows 95 system I'd
> not only have no USB 2.0, I'd have no USB at all!

Well, the way I see it know I have two options:
- face the music and buy a new scanner, which seems overkill given the
amount of scans I need to make

The latter seems the simplest solution. Ghost the box, install Windows '95,
Ghost that, scan, and make the switch. Or I could set up one of my machines
again to run only Windows '95. Or buy another computer for Windows '95
(Pentiums are amazingly cheap these days, a few bucks a piece).

I guess I'll just go the new scanner route. Oh well, back to finding out
which scanner suits me best :)

> Microsoft gave ALL hardware manufacturer's plenty of time to write new
> drivers. If the manufacturers decided not to bother then it's not
> Microsoft's fault. In the long run it's YOUR fault for not doing
> sufficient homework before changing your O/S.

I know, I didn't consider the scanner at the time because I was not using
it.

Thanks for the reply,

Princess Morgiah
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 1, 2004 12:13:40 AM

Princess Morgiah <princess_morgiah_nospamplease@yahoo.com> wrote:

> You've got a point. But it's still going to cost me more to buy a new
> scanner, and that for a few scans I need to make.
>

> Well, the way I see it know I have two options:
> - face the music and buy a new scanner, which seems overkill given the
> amount of scans I need to make
>
> The latter seems the simplest solution. Ghost the box, install
> Windows '95, Ghost that, scan, and make the switch. Or I could set up
> one of my machines again to run only Windows '95. Or buy another
> computer for Windows '95 (Pentiums are amazingly cheap these days, a
> few bucks a piece).
>
> I guess I'll just go the new scanner route. Oh well, back to finding
> out which scanner suits me best :)
>
> I know, I didn't consider the scanner at the time because I was not
> using it.
>
> Thanks for the reply,
>
> Princess Morgiah

Another option is to create another primary partition on your hard disk, and
install W95 in it, and make it a dual boot system, defaulting to XP. That
way, you can simply boot it up in W95 when you want to scan, without having
to Ghost it off.

Better still, create a further logical partition which can be seen by both
OS's - then you can scan to a file in W95 but pick up the data in XP.
--
Cheers,
Roger