P5B Delux power connector questions

cheesey

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
I just finished my first build in 12 years. I have the ASUS P5B delux MB. I have a connection at the tope of the MB (as is looks installed) that had 4-pins and a cap over the other 4-pins. I pulled the cap and plugged and 8 pin connector I have twith my Allien PSU. The MB directions were a little confusing on that part. Im not having any troubles on power up, even tho I cant get the system to work. But what is that connection for? And was I correct to remove the 4 pin cover and install my "8" pin power connector to it> :?

Katzhuu

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Heh,

No problems mate. I just finished building mine last nite and spent a good while wondering about that same thing.

Unfortunately for me I screwed up with the attaching of the CPU heatsink, and now I'll have to go buy me some cleaning kit and Arctic silver 5 or similiar tomorrow after work.

Grated

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Most psu's come with the 4-pin power connector. If you have that, you must put it in the 4 open pins.
If you have a psu with 8-pin power connector, you must remove that cap.

It's just some kind of protection if you have a 4-pin connector... So you can't put it in on the wrong side...

cheesey

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Geeze "O" Pete!!!!!!!! Thanks again Katzhuu!!!! I just went and pulled the CPU back up and checked just to make sure my heat film was good. And you are NOT alone. I smugged mine but good! :? Artic Silver's profits should go up this month because of us. Thanks again!!!!!!! 8O

Katzhuu

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Did it, done it and temps at bios seem to stay around 40C. My problem was probably having the heatsink a bit loose, it seems that you have to push REAL hard to get the heatsink attached properly.

Now I can proceed with software installation. Good luck with your rig!