Unable to make a decision=E6600 or 7950GT

Hey all,
I'm new to posting, but I have been reading these forums for quite some time. Very informative. Anyway, I recieved some gift cards for Newegg for my birthday, and I can't decide on getting the Core 2 Duo E6600 or an ASUS 7950GT. My current rig is a Pentium 940 @3.8Ghz, ABIT AW8-Max board, Gigabyte 7600 GT, 2 GB Mushkin Ram, Zalman Cooler. I've read so much on the Core 2 Duo's and even though I have a somewhat modern CPU, I can't help but think the E6600 would be a huge jump in perfomance. Any help would be appreciated.

Joey

PS. I bought a ASUS P5B Motherboard, so it supports either Pentium D or Core 2 Duo.
47 answers Last reply
More about unable make decision e6600 7950gt
  1. Instead, get an X1800XT 256MB.
  2. I second the X1800XT for you can get one for $200, it should be good to last you till next year and then go upgrade to a DX10 card.
  3. The videocard would be a big waste of money when the DX10 are coming up in mid november. I would go for the C2D cpu and start thinking about building a new system.
  4. I'd wait for Kentsfield (quad-core) to come out, and then get the cheapest model. Then, I'd upgrade the video card when DX10 cards come out.
  5. At the moment your motherboard will not support CD2 so unless you have a huge gift card I would go for the better Graphics card.
    X1800XT is nice but X1900XT is much nicer and not that expensive.
    Its your gift card not ours so enjoy .
    And happy Birthday
    I didnt see the P5B
    that changes things a bit.
    the core 2 will give you the biggest boost.
    but I still think the graphics would be most noticable (gameing)
  6. Happy Bithday to you... [/singing]
    Get the Core 2...
    The 7950...
    Is a waste of money...

Seriously though, get the E6600.
  7. another vote for E6600!
  8. id go for the core 2 duo. wouldnt spend for a vid card till they release dx10s.
  9. yeah, i was leaning toward the E6600, just wanted to get some more opinions (hard to make my own decisions sometimes). I don't do much gaming, and the 7600GT is an ok card. Guess waiting for DX10 is probably a good idea. I appreciate all the help.
  10. I would get the new cpu and never look back at the Pentium 940. Leave that in the past!
    Why not wait a lil longer for DX10 ?
  11. Quote:
    yeah, i was leaning toward the E6600, just wanted to get some more opinions (hard to make my own decisions sometimes). I don't do much gaming, and the 7600GT is an ok card. Guess waiting for DX10 is probably a good idea. I appreciate all the help.

I still say to wait for Kensfield; if anything, Core 2 Duo prices will go down.
  12. E6600

As for waiting... You could wait, but then again, you can always wait a few months and then again a few months for something new ... blablabla .
    PC's always change and every few months there are techs that are a lot better...
  13. that is pretty much untrue, games (at the moment) dont benifit from dual core, not many at least, the benifit from quad core will be even less...

even though quad core is truely awsome, I think it would be too long a wait, you'd have to wait until mid-late nexyear to get an *afordable* quad core....

I'm getting a core 2 duo E6600 (new build) myself, it should arrive at the start of next week :D ,(i've been waiting a month odd now.. ), i say get the e6600, it's basically the speed of a fx62, the FASTEST CPU AVAILBLE!!!!!!!!!

well the fastest cpu back in march.... :lol:

e6600, e6600, e6600 *goes off chanting*
  14. even the E6400 is sometimes faster than the fx-62
  15. out of topic, perhaps you will notice significant different in outter look by purchasing BenQ FP241WZ :p

yes, go with the core 2 duo, you won't regret it.
  16. I find it humorous when people always say wait wait wait, that's the most overused words in all the tech forums when someone asks for advice, "wait". I think if someone really wanted to wait, they wouldnt be asking for advice. Waiting to me is useless in the Tech world, You might as well wait forever if you're going to wait 3-6 months on something. As for DX10, I wouldnt wait on that either, Im thinking its going to be a long time before games are mainstream DX10, look how long it took DX9, and it wasnt as big a jump from DX8 as this is. The cards, I'd seriously wait until the second batch of DX10 cards, Anyone remember how the first dx9 cards performed? FX Series anyone?

Why not Just got for the best you can afford at the moment, and enjoy the performance now, until it wont suffice any longer. That's just my opinion, and im sure many will disagree.
  17. although i guess it does matter what his needs are, as he didnt say what he does mostly..he only said he wanted an upgrade...

if he plays games alot then i guess the way to go might be a new graphics card, although getting a e6600 would bag you perhaps 10-25 frames per second more. :)
  18. Quote:
    I find it humorous when people always say wait wait wait, that's the most overused words in all the tech forums when someone asks for advice, "wait". I think if someone really wanted to wait, they wouldnt be asking for advice. Waiting to me is useless in the Tech world, You might as well wait forever if you're going to wait 3-6 months on something. As for DX10, I wouldnt wait on that either, Im thinking its going to be a long time before games are mainstream DX10, look how long it took DX9, and it wasnt as big a jump from DX8 as this is. The cards, I'd seriously wait until the second batch of DX10 cards, Anyone remember how the first dx9 cards performed? FX Series anyone?

Why not Just got for the best you can afford at the moment, and enjoy the performance now, until it wont suffice any longer. That's just my opinion, and im sure many will disagree.

Bravo! Excellent advice! If your system is lagging, and you want better, do what you can now with the best you can afford now.
    I would never buy new technology that has not been out for at least 6 months, too many bugs/compatability issues first time around.
  19. The biggest factor limiting your gaming is the 7600GT. Grant it, the E6600 is sweet but the P940 will do the job for the moment.

I would either get the X1900XT 256MB card or the 7900GTO and overclock that baby.

The video cards are around 250 at the moment. If you don't plan on OC'ing, the X1900XT is the better card.

Take a look at my price/perf chart, here. And the X1900XT has the current best price/perf of the "high-end" cards.

Chiefvalue currently has the best price for the X1900XT 256MB, here.

DX10 probably won't be worth getting for at least 6-9 months.

On the other hand, getting the CPU, you will only have to upgrade to DX10 next year.

Getting a new video card now, then you will want to get a DX10 card and a C2D next year. So it depends on what you want for the moment. Better gaming at the moment or least expensive upgrade route?
  20. yeah actually either choice is good... :?
  21. You should upgrade the video card!
    and send me your old one! :)
  22. im not quite surehe'lldo that... :lol:

although he could sent it to me instead... j/k
  23. E6600 (I have one, love it, and prices have steadied) then save for DX10.
  24. Spend the money on an E6400, generates less heat because there are less transistors and buy a really good Air Cooler.

Overclock it to 3.4 Ghz.
  25. if you use your PC for gaming, then take the 7950 else take the E6600.
  26. Quote:
    Hey all,
    I'm new to posting, but I have been reading these forums for quite some time. Very informative. Anyway, I recieved some gift cards for Newegg for my birthday, and I can't decide on getting the Core 2 Duo E6600 or an ASUS 7950GT. My current rig is a Pentium 940 @3.8Ghz, ABIT AW8-Max board, Gigabyte 7600 GT, 2 GB Mushkin Ram, Zalman Cooler. I've read so much on the Core 2 Duo's and even though I have a somewhat modern CPU, I can't help but think the E6600 would be a huge jump in perfomance. Any help would be appreciated.

Joey

PS. I bought a ASUS P5B Motherboard, so it supports either Pentium D or Core 2 Duo.

lol do they sell beer, because thats alot of beer you could buy, OK with that CPU i'd say the core 2duo would be a waste of monet relaly nothing needs its yet and besides 4X4 are coming hehe, get the 7950GX2
  27. Quote:
    even the E6400 is sometimes faster than the fx-62

I really don't think that buying an E63/400 would be a bad a idea at al either. My friend bought a E6300 and an artic freeze after market cooler and was able to overclock it safely from 1.8ghz to 2.4ghz and it beat up and stole the FX-62's lunch. Here is another solution for you and a decent start at a core2 build.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127014
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115005
    Then simply wait for the next-gen videocard til there release. Because even if you don't overclock the E63/6400 at all they still perform as well as an fx-62 and outperform the AM2 x2 cpu.
  28. Personally, if i had a 3.8 GHz Pentium 4 CPU i wouldn't want to upgrade it so soon.
    It can run the vast majority of sw at a satisfactory level, so unless you're using some really CPU intensive application like rendering or video encoding, i'd get the video card.
    Well, if videogames matter to you, that is :)
  29. Quote:
    Personally, if i had a 3.8 GHz Pentium 4 CPU i wouldn't want to upgrade it so soon.
    It can run the vast majority of sw at a satisfactory level, so unless you're using some really CPU intensive application like rendering or video encoding, i'd get the video card.
    Well, if videogames matter to you, that is :)

The Pentium D 940 is working at 3.2GHz, but the discutant overclocked it at @3.8GHz. The C2D E6600 at default freqfency outperforms the overclocked PD 940 for everything and it is better overclocker. Also if he is not using his PC for gaming, then the 7950 will be useless upgrade.
  30. Quote:
    even the E6400 is sometimes faster than the fx-62

I really don't think that buying an E63/400 would be a bad a idea at al either. My friend bought a E6300 and an artic freeze after market cooler and was able to overclock it safely from 1.8ghz to 2.4ghz and it beat up and stole the FX-62's lunch. Here is another solution for you and a decent start at a core2 build.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127014
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115005
    Then simply wait for the next-gen videocard til there release. Because even if you don't overclock the E63/6400 at all they still perform as well as an fx-62 and outperform the AM2 x2 cpu.

he already bought a mobo :roll:
  31. Agreed.
    But then again, does it matter that his CPU is overclocked or not?
    Personally i dont buy a CPU just to brag... like people who's pissed that Intel is releasing so soon a quad core CPU, when they just paid a fat premium to get a C2E.
    And then you read how many people feel they "need" a quad core.. and i'm not talkin about self proclaimed "mega-taskers".
    There's always the "fat kid syndrome" here, the fat kid used to have everything he wants from mommy, even if he doesn't actually need it at all :lol:
    For most applications, a Pentium 4 3.8 GHz is fine for me.. this doesn't mean that anything faster than that is useless, but anyway, i'd wait a year before upgrading it.
    Personally, i wouldnt even buy a GPU..
    I'd invest the money in a Nintendo Wii, so that when i have a gf over for a weekend, we could play something fun between a "bed session" and the next :lol:
  32. Get the C2D and save up like mad for the GF 8800
  33. Quote:
    Get the C2D and save up like mad for the GF 8800

No one should buy a GeForce 8800GX2... trust me... you'll want to wait for Jan/Feb.
  34. what about the 7900gto? £160 over heer in th UK don't know aboutin the US over at newegg but for that price it's worth it:)

Quote:

I'd invest the money in a Nintendo Wii, so that when i have a gf over for a weekend, we could play something fun between a "bed session" and the next Laughing

hehe good one :trophy: :D
  35. With e600 you must change your mb.

Go on the video card, better result in game
  36. Quote:
    we could play something fun between a "bed session" and the next :lol:
    :lol:
  37. Your current mobo does not support the C2D's afaik.
    Save up and upgrade mobo and proc. Then wait till the second gen DX10 cards and upgrade your card then.
  38. Quote:
    Hey all,

Joey

Well, I guess it really depends on what are your requirements. If you wish to play games at high resolutions, 1600x1200, the ASUS 7950GT will provide a larger increase in frame rates compared to getting a Core 2 Duo E6600, imho. (Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong)

If you are more into multitasking and like to do lots of simultaneous stuff at once, a Core 2 Duo E6600 will definitely be worth it.

All in all, it really depends on what exactly you expect from this upgrade. Better gaming experience or smoother everyday use? Either choice is good, depending on your particular needs.
  39. I know it seems kinda stupid...but when does your gift expire? If it's good for a year, save it. :-) In one year you'll be able to afford quad core, a DX-10 card, or a super fly something or other than none of us yet see. Comps are making some big leaps ahead right now. If you have games yet playable on your rig that you haven't played....blow $80 and play a few of em. Or, get a cheaper 64 bit processor and mobo and go for Vista for now. :-)
  40. At 1280 resolutions your current rig is powerfull enough to handle the latest.
  41. Quote:
    I second the X1800XT for you can get one for $200, it should be good to last you till next year and then go upgrade to a DX10 card.

X1800XT is thew way to go like others have said
  42. I have an eVga 7800 GT CO SE I'll sell ya. Sure it's gonna cost you about $100 more, but hey...you're helping out a friend! We are friends...right? Uhh, what was your name again? I didn't catch it.
  43. the x1800xt is a great card for the money. get that and save for dx10
  44. wow, thanks for all the suggestions. i got an ASUS P5B, so my motherboard will work. I pretty much don't game, maybe i'll ocassionally try something new out. I ordered the E6600, and should be here on Wednesday from Newegg. I'm pretty excited b/c of all the reviews and benchmarks, and although my 940 is pretty good, this one should do much better, at least i hope. Thanks again.

Joey
  45. haha 7800gt or gtx is old old old :lol:

well slighty old...

lol :D
  46. Quote:
    haha 7800gt or gtx is old old old :lol:

well slighty old...

lol :D

I'll assume that was a joke. :-P
    It's still listed at around $300+...as much as the 7900 GT's, which they shouldn't be except for less availablity. On hardware charts the 7800 GT's are still fairly near the top end of midrange cards. I mean, it can run Oblivion with close to everything turned on all by itself...
  47. i would say get go for the gfx card since your processor should last you a while. Instead of getting a 7950gt you should get a better card, the 7900gto, for cheaper (about $250).
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Product