Sign in with
Your question

Problem: Linksys adapter not working with D-Link router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 31, 2006 6:26:04 PM

Greetings all. This is my first post, and, well, my first real visit to Tom's Hardware. I figured if there was one place to get help with figuring out my picky wireless network, this would be it.

On to my issue...

I currently have a AirPlus Xtreme G DI-624 4-Port Wireless Router, 802.11g

In my existing computer, I use a DWL-G510 AirPlus G High Speed 2.4GHz (802.11g) Wireless PCI Adapter, and everything works fine (with the exception of the horrible signal, even when they're in the same room.

I bought one of these for the computer I'm building for video games: Linksys SpeedBooster 802.11g Wireless Desktop Card, and after uninstalling my D-Link adapter, removing the software, rebooting, installing Linksys drivers/software (latest, from their site), shutting down, installing... I get "Cannot associate with access point."

No matter what I do, and I've done everything I can in their program, I can't get it to find the router.
Does anyone of you have a suggestion, or a solution? Is this common for different brands to not recognize one another?

Thanks very much in advance.

Justin
January 31, 2006 7:33:37 PM

I will try,

Your Router may be setup to use large packets. Your dwl510 does not support large packet. So if you have been connecting at 108mbps that will have to end. You are always better of not mixing mfg.
This link may help if you are going to mix hardware.
Wireless Hardware chips
I don't now how your router is setup. If you have mac filtering active, that can kill it. Kill large packet support. WPA-TKIP can be tricky at times. Remember the PassPhrase must be exact. Hopefully the router is not padding the key. Temporary disable security. Turn on SSID. See if it doesn't show up.
January 31, 2006 8:07:04 PM

I'm actually using a DWL520 Extreme G card. Double checked when I got home for lunch. I don't know if that would matter with large packets. I will try what you suggested when I get home tonight.

In the meantime, a bit more info might help some of you make better sense.

I have it set up for WEP encryption, and I plug that key (10 numbers) in every screen I can with the Linsys adapter config program. Should I just scrap the WEP encryption?

I must admit, I'm a novice with the wireless networking. Gimme a RJ-45 and I'm comfortable...
Related resources
January 31, 2006 8:50:34 PM

I personally wouldn't use WEP. Not very secure. When I'm having trouble, I start with a clean slate, No firewall, No security, SSID ON. Then start adding features one at a time. I've had some routers that had to be rebooted for the new settings to take. So if it doesn't work after changes made, reboot to make sure.
February 1, 2006 3:09:29 AM

Blue68F100, turning off WEP encryption (even though I had it entered before on the Linksys adapter) seemed to find the network, and after a refresh of the WAN screen, I was off and running on the new Linksys card. I'll probably just leave it in this machine instead of the new game machine.

Thanks for your attention and suggestions.

Justin
June 2, 2009 11:19:29 PM

Temporary_Sanity said:
Blue68F100, turning off WEP encryption (even though I had it entered before on the Linksys adapter) seemed to find the network, and after a refresh of the WAN screen, I was off and running on the new Linksys card. I'll probably just leave it in this machine instead of the new game machine.

Thanks for your attention and suggestions.

Justin

Blue68F100, were you able to toggle the WEP back on, after you were able to see the network and got "off and running"?
!