How big of a Hard drive can i use with xp pro

I have a Ecs 848P-A motherboard I want to put a 250 gig hard drive on it as
one big drive can i do this i have service pack 1 with the windows cd and
sevice pack 2 on cd any help would be greatfull thanks Greg
7 answers Last reply
More about hard drive

    Most of us learned punctuation in grade school. This is
    not a trivial point when someone is trying to understand
    what your question / problem is . . .

    Hi,

    From what I have heard, you could use a Terabyte drive with XP Pro. Just
    make sure your motherboard bios supports the large drives.

    Jeff

    "jeffrey" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > From what I have heard, you could use a Terabyte drive with XP Pro. Just
    > make sure your motherboard bios supports the large drives.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a Ecs 848P-A motherboard I want to put a 250 gig hard drive on it
    > >as
    > > one big drive can i do this i have service pack 1 with the windows cd and
    > > sevice pack 2 on cd any help would be greatfull thanks Greg

    From the Western Digital web site:
    48-bit LBA support is necessary for drives larger than 137GB (128GB binary).
    The following conditions are necessary for the correct functioning of 48-bit
    LBA support in Windows 2000/XP:

    * Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) must be installed for Windows XP
    versions prior to August 2002. For information about SP1, see Microsoft
    Article 322389.

    * The system must have a 48-bit LBA-compatible Basic Input/Output System
    (BIOS) installed. This includes EIDE controller card BIOSs.

    * You must enable the support in the Windows registry.

    Most learned to spell also, try 'anonymous' instead of 'Unanimous' - as you
    used in your sig.
    Try constructive instead of destructive help & advice, otherwise butt out.
    Anyway, Greg did use punctuation at the very end ( even though he did
    accidently put a space before it).

    Also consider your own reply - two spaces between 'school & This' ??
    Ending your post with a preposition?? Tut, tut.
    Surely "trying to understand your question / problem . . . " is a much
    better way of expressing yourself correctly.

    --

    johnf

    "johnf" wrote:

    > Most learned to spell also, try 'anonymous' instead of 'Unanimous' - as you
    > used in your sig.
    > Try constructive instead of destructive help & advice, otherwise butt out.
    > Anyway, Greg did use punctuation at the very end ( even though he did
    > accidently put a space before it).
    >
    > Also consider your own reply - two spaces between 'school & This' ??
    > Ending your post with a preposition?? Tut, tut.
    > Surely "trying to understand your question / problem . . . " is a much
    > better way of expressing yourself correctly.
    >
    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    > > Most of us learned punctuation in grade school. This is
    > > not a trivial point when someone is trying to understand
    > > what your question / problem is . . .

    ;-)

    Hi John,

    It's certainly better to give constructive advice, but maybe advice on the
    right way to write a message is useful. If AJ had written in caps, lots of
    us would be all over him.

    By the way, I was taught in school to put two spaces after after a period.
    I wonder what the grammar checker in Microsoft Word would think of that?
    Also, "is" is not a preposition, but a verb, although your way of writing
    the sentence is certainly better.

    Good luck, Dan

    In news:%23KfUkdx0EHA.804@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Dan Schaffer <somerset27@aol.com> typed:

    > By the way, I was taught in school to put two spaces after
    > after a
    > period.

    Just an aside: The old rule of two spaces after a period was a
    typewriter-based one. In those typewriter days of monospaced
    fonts, two spaces made text easier to read. Even then, it wasn't
    done in professional publications (books, newspapers, magazines),
    which used proportional fonts.

    Today, when typewriters are almost gone entirely, and most of us
    longer produces more readable text, and is no longer appropriate.
    Because many people still have that old rule ingrained in them,
    you can set some word processors to automatically change two
    spaces to one if you accidentally type them.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

Windows XP CD-Rom Hard Drives