Sign in with
Your question

Comp reboots when I access storage.

Last response: in Storage
October 9, 2006 12:28:34 AM

My computer has started rebooting itself too much! In the beginning it typicall did this when I was trying to burn a cd or dvd. Sometimes it wold happen when I put a disk in. Other times it happened when my disk was finalizing. I didn't know what the cause was and wanted to replace my 3 year old burner anyway, so I bought a new one. That made no change. Today I was trying to use an external hard drive. If I hook it up while my comp is runnning, it reboots. If it is hooked up when my computer boots, the comp will reboot when I try to use the HD. Before this, I've had very little problems with my computer! Temperature isn't the problem. My mobo drivers are updated.

I am building a new one tomorrow and I want to back up the drives and to a clean install before I put them in.

MSI Socket A Mobo
700 MB Ram
WD 120 GB HD
WD 40 GB HD
AMD Athlon 1800+
Benq 1655
October 9, 2006 12:30:44 PM

If your using XP into Properties of My Computer --> Advanced --> Start up & Recovery Settings and Uncheck the Auto Restart option.

This may or may not work, but you'll be able to avoid dumps by monitoring task manager.

Does the Event Viewer display anything related to the reboot? Usually when you get in a bad way, a reinstallation of the system is best. If you are just trying to copy files from the old system before you start on your new build, You can do this in safe mode with xcopy or Diskette utilities supported by the manufacturer's website. I believe you'll need to mount the second drive you want to copy to because safe mode does not load usb drivers.
October 9, 2006 4:07:41 PM

I'll try the frist two things you mentioned when I get home. I can't hook my new HD in to my old comp or I would have tried that. At least I don't think I can. My new HD is SATA my old mobo doesn't support it. Thanks for the help.
Related resources
October 12, 2006 12:46:40 AM

Also check to see if your computer has enough power. I had similar problems when I was running 3 HDs, I upgraded my PSU to 470W from 300W and all my problems went away.
October 12, 2006 1:18:42 AM

Could also be a bad drive or bad driver. Could just be time to reinstall windows. Easy to tell if you make a backup of your OS before any problems occurred.

Genreal Tips.
--
I often have to connect a failing drive via USB for data recovery or else it with either keep the system from postign or crash windows.
---
Boot to ultimate boot cd, run a full drive self test on all your drives using the manufacturers utility.
---
After a crash quickly check the temps in CMOS setup to see if you chipset overheated.
--
Definately make sure you have the latest BIOS, firmware, chipset & controller drivers installed.
---
Check the event log to see what errors are getting posted.
---
Testing your memory with memtest 86 is a good idea, as is stability testing with Sandra's burn in wizard and prime 95 (priority 10 large TFFs?).
!