"Chassis intrusion" and "MICRO SW"?

minty

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
I have a Thermaltake Armor case, and an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe motherboard. I'm having a hard time understanding how I'm supposed to set up intrusion detection between them.

The case has a 2-pin connector labelled "MICRO SW". It doesn't distinguish between the two pins in any way, except that one is hooked up to a black wire, and the other to a white wire. It is clear from the manual that this is supposed to support chassis intrusion detection in some way, but that's as far as the manual goes.

The motherboard, on the other hand, has a 4-pin, not 2-pin, port for intrusion detection. The four pins, from left to right, are:

1. +5VSB_MB
2. (nothing)
3. Chassis Signal
4. GND

The Chassis Signal and Ground pins are shorted with a jumper, by default. The manual says to remove the jumper if you intend to use the chassis intrusion detection feature.

But it doesn't say much more than that.

What do I hook the two pins from the case up to? Black to where, white to where?

And what about the remaining two pins (on the motherboard)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you think about it, the jumper prevents the intrusion detection from triggering like the micro_sw on the case should so just remove the jumper and in it's place, put the intrusion detection header.

Aopen's mobos have a simplified header connector so it's probably ok to leave the other pins disconnected.

In theory, once you remove the jumper the BIOS should mention it on the next reboot so give that a try. If so then just connect the header and it should alert you if the case is opened on the next reboot.