Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

axim x50 upgrade

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
January 31, 2005 5:12:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Theres an upgrade for axim x50 and x50v
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/type.aspx?c=u...
stemID=PDA_AXIM_X50&category=0&os=PPCA&osl=en&deviceid=7464&devlib=7
has any one tried it out?
I cant see any differance
please let me know
yudaf@tiscali.be
thanks

More about : axim x50 upgrade

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 5:12:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I installed it. I don't notice a difference in anything except more agility
in configuring buttons (specifically the wireless button) and a change or
two in the WLAN settings. But Dell says need it, so I installed it.

It also boasts a more robust video driver.

Walt

"Robert" <yudaf@tiscali.be> wrote in message
news:o 7C7gZ5BFHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Theres an upgrade for axim x50 and x50v
> http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/type.aspx?c=u...
> stemID=PDA_AXIM_X50&category=0&os=PPCA&osl=en&deviceid=7464&devlib=7
> has any one tried it out?
> I cant see any differance
> please let me know
> yudaf@tiscali.be
> thanks
>
>
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 1:57:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 06:56:14 -0700, "Walt Basil"
<see_signature@for_address.com> wrote:

>I installed it. I don't notice a difference in anything except more agility
>in configuring buttons (specifically the wireless button) and a change or
>two in the WLAN settings. But Dell says need it, so I installed it.
>
>It also boasts a more robust video driver.
>
>Walt
>
>"Robert" <yudaf@tiscali.be> wrote in message
>news:o 7C7gZ5BFHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Theres an upgrade for axim x50 and x50v
>> http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/type.aspx?c=u...
>> stemID=PDA_AXIM_X50&category=0&os=PPCA&osl=en&deviceid=7464&devlib=7
>> has any one tried it out?
>> I cant see any differance
>> please let me know
>> yudaf@tiscali.be
>> thanks
>>
>>
>


When you do a hard boot, you now have to press the contacts button on
front to confirm.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 2, 2005 5:45:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In message <nfvtv0tc6082fo8pe92iib57po1k2d5d1m@4ax.com>, "yea.yea.yea@yea.com"
<yea.yea.yea@yea.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 06:56:14 -0700, "Walt Basil"
> <see_signature@for_address.com> wrote:
>
> >I installed it. I don't notice a difference in anything except more agility
> >in configuring buttons (specifically the wireless button) and a change
or
> >two in the WLAN settings. But Dell says need it, so I installed it.
> >
> >It also boasts a more robust video driver.
> >
> >Walt
> >
> >"Robert" <yudaf@tiscali.be> wrote in message
> >news:o 7C7gZ5BFHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> >> Theres an upgrade for axim x50 and x50v
> >>
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/type.aspx?c=u...
> >> stemID=PDA_AXIM_X50&category=0&os=PPCA&osl=en&deviceid=7464&devlib=7
> >> has any one tried it out?
> >> I cant see any differance
> >> please let me know
> >> yudaf@tiscali.be
> >> thanks
> >>
> >>
> >
>
>
> When you do a hard boot, you now have to press the contacts button on
> front to confirm.

The most noticeable difference is the digitizer (screen) sensitivity. It
responds to much lighter taps since the update. Compared to the last 4 ppc's
I've owned, It felt like I needed to slam on my x50v to get a response.
Transcriber works better (imho) as a result of the improvement as well.
Enabling or disabling the wifi via the side button now requies a confirmation
push.

Hth,
Dean
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 9:22:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

How do you get the confirmation screen? I don't get that on mine. Is it a
setting or something that should have happend automatically with the update?

Walt

"Dean" <nospam@all.us> wrote in message
news:36at5lF50kf4hU1@individual.net...> Enabling or disabling the wifi via
the side button now requies a confirmation
> push.
>
> Hth,
> Dean
>
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 3:43:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Does this update wipe out the whole system? Do I need to reinstall
everything again?

Thanks,
Jasper

"Robert" <yudaf@tiscali.be> wrote in message
news:o 7C7gZ5BFHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Theres an upgrade for axim x50 and x50v
>
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/type.aspx?c=u...
> stemID=PDA_AXIM_X50&category=0&os=PPCA&osl=en&deviceid=7464&devlib=7
> has any one tried it out?
> I cant see any differance
> please let me know
> yudaf@tiscali.be
> thanks
>
>
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:51:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I backed everything up prior to, and restored immediately after. It was the
same, as if nothing happened. 3rd party applications include AvantGo, MS
Money, eReader Pro, eWallet, and Viruscan. I didn't have to re-install
anything, or reset any serial numbers for 3rd party applications.

Walt

"Jasper Recto" <jrecto99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:usb806UCFHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Does this update wipe out the whole system? Do I need to reinstall
> everything again?
>
> Thanks,
> Jasper
>
> "Robert" <yudaf@tiscali.be> wrote in message
> news:o 7C7gZ5BFHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Theres an upgrade for axim x50 and x50v
>>
> http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/type.aspx?c=u...
>> stemID=PDA_AXIM_X50&category=0&os=PPCA&osl=en&deviceid=7464&devlib=7
>> has any one tried it out?
>> I cant see any differance
>> please let me know
>> yudaf@tiscali.be
>> thanks
>>
>>
>
>
February 3, 2005 4:30:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In message <OXUbHpSCFHA.1924@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, "Walt Basil"
<see_signature@for_address.com> wrote:
> How do you get the confirmation screen? I don't get that on mine. Is it
a
> setting or something that should have happend automatically with the update?
>
> Walt

I didn't restore mine from a backup after the update, I re-installed all my
apps. Dell says it's ok to restore from a backup but that some of the updates
would be overriden. I noticed in your next response you restored yours. I
believe that's why you're not seeing the confirmation. Basically, if you push
the wifi button, instead of it immediately enabling or disabling it says to
push it again within 5 seconds to on or off it. Prior to the update I had
disabled that button because I was always accidentally pressing it when I
didn't want to. I just used the bar graph icon to turn the wifi on or off.
Now I'm back to using the button (which by the way seems more reliable than
it was before also).

Hth,
Dean


> "Dean" <nospam@all.us> wrote in message
> news:36at5lF50kf4hU1@individual.net...> Enabling or disabling the wifi via
> the side button now requies a confirmation
> > push.
> >
> > Hth,
> > Dean
> >
>
February 3, 2005 4:37:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In message <eueuTIYCFHA.3728@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, "Walt Basil"
<see_signature@for_address.com> wrote:
> I backed everything up prior to, and restored immediately after. It was
the
> same, as if nothing happened. 3rd party applications include AvantGo, MS
> Money, eReader Pro, eWallet, and Viruscan. I didn't have to re-install
> anything, or reset any serial numbers for 3rd party applications.
>
> Walt
>
> "Jasper Recto" <jrecto99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:usb806UCFHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Does this update wipe out the whole system? Do I need to reinstall
> > everything again?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jasper


It's a pain in the butt...but if you want to take full advantage of the updates
then you'll have to rebuild rather than restore. Download the update then
read the included readme for directions.
Hth,
Dean
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 4:37:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thanks for the info.

Well...shoot. I read that if I did the restore, some things might be
overwritten. I thought that pertained to the regular programs, not the
system. Oh well. Guess I'll just have to re-run the update and reinstall
everything. Sounds like a job for the weekend. <g>

Walt

"Dean" <nospam@all.us> wrote in message
news:36ddisF4vc0pcU1@individual.net...
> In message <eueuTIYCFHA.3728@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, "Walt Basil"
> <see_signature@for_address.com> wrote:
>> I backed everything up prior to, and restored immediately after. It was
> the
>> same, as if nothing happened. 3rd party applications include AvantGo, MS
>> Money, eReader Pro, eWallet, and Viruscan. I didn't have to re-install
>> anything, or reset any serial numbers for 3rd party applications.
>>
>> Walt
>>
>> "Jasper Recto" <jrecto99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:usb806UCFHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> > Does this update wipe out the whole system? Do I need to reinstall
>> > everything again?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Jasper
>
>
> It's a pain in the butt...but if you want to take full advantage of the
> updates
> then you'll have to rebuild rather than restore. Download the update then
> read the included readme for directions.
> Hth,
> Dean
>
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 10:15:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Re-upgraded this weekend. I ended up having to do a restore of my previous
ROM first, otherwise it wouldn't update it because it was already upgraded.

After that I installed all software again instead of restoring.

Now I've got the wireless warning! ;-)

Walt

"Walt Basil" <see_signature@for_address.com> wrote in message
news:eO7k6nZCFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Well...shoot. I read that if I did the restore, some things might be
> overwritten. I thought that pertained to the regular programs, not the
> system. Oh well. Guess I'll just have to re-run the update and reinstall
> everything. Sounds like a job for the weekend. <g>
>
> Walt
>
> "Dean" <nospam@all.us> wrote in message
> news:36ddisF4vc0pcU1@individual.net...
>> In message <eueuTIYCFHA.3728@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, "Walt Basil"
>> <see_signature@for_address.com> wrote:
>>> I backed everything up prior to, and restored immediately after. It was
>> the
>>> same, as if nothing happened. 3rd party applications include AvantGo, MS
>>> Money, eReader Pro, eWallet, and Viruscan. I didn't have to re-install
>>> anything, or reset any serial numbers for 3rd party applications.
>>>
>>> Walt
>>>
>>> "Jasper Recto" <jrecto99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> news:usb806UCFHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> > Does this update wipe out the whole system? Do I need to reinstall
>>> > everything again?
>>> >
>>> > Thanks,
>>> > Jasper
>>
>>
>> It's a pain in the butt...but if you want to take full advantage of the
>> updates
>> then you'll have to rebuild rather than restore. Download the update then
>> read the included readme for directions.
>> Hth,
>> Dean
>>
>
>
February 9, 2005 5:54:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In message <OKZP79RDFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, "Walt Basil"
<see_signature@for_address.com> wrote:
> Re-upgraded this weekend. I ended up having to do a restore of my previous
> ROM first, otherwise it wouldn't update it because it was already upgraded.

Ouch, that's the hard way... I believe a hard reset was all that was necessary.
This would have undone the registry entries that were created when you restored
from a backup. (The rom image wasn't corrupted, the registry loaded in ram
was).

> After that I installed all software again instead of restoring.

Correct.

> Now I've got the wireless warning! ;-)
>
> Walt

All's well that ends well. Glad to hear you got it working.

Hth,
Dean
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 5:54:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Wish I had thought of that before I reinstalled the original ROM ;-)

Oh well. I'll remember that in the future. Thanks for all your input!

Walt

"Dean" <nospam@all.us> wrote in message
news:36tcb6F54eacmU1@individual.net...
> In message <OKZP79RDFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, "Walt Basil"
> <see_signature@for_address.com> wrote:
>> Re-upgraded this weekend. I ended up having to do a restore of my
>> previous
>> ROM first, otherwise it wouldn't update it because it was already
>> upgraded.
>
> Ouch, that's the hard way... I believe a hard reset was all that was
> necessary.
> This would have undone the registry entries that were created when you
> restored
> from a backup. (The rom image wasn't corrupted, the registry loaded in ram
> was).
>
>> After that I installed all software again instead of restoring.
>
> Correct.
>
>> Now I've got the wireless warning! ;-)
>>
>> Walt
>
> All's well that ends well. Glad to hear you got it working.
>
> Hth,
> Dean
>
>
>
!