http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130065

Good buy?? Comments, suggestions??

Read this:
Obvious 7900GTO topic #1

Obvious 7900GTO topic #2

Not so obvious 7900GTO topic #3

thats all I found in 2 mins of searching + 5 mins of copy-paste, there are others. purdueguy wrote some nice stuff on comparative performance.

Read these if you have questions, come back. In the end it is YOUR choice based on the data that you can find. We can only advise.

k2gremlin

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Ok fairly simple question for you.. the only OCing I have every really done myself.. was bank in the days you had to set clock speeds and what not with jumpers.. yea I know ancient now..

From what I gather the 7900gto and X1900 run almost the same.. however the 7900gto is very much OC able... witht hat being said is it difficult to OC this card?? How is it done?

it is a piece of cake to OC it, using some software called rivatuner, or nvidias own drivers (after a minor tweak), or the ATI drivers.

BUT...

Reading the first of the links I sent you you'd find that there are grave concerns over the longevity of these cards if they are OC'd, as they may be from a batch of GTX's that were having a lot of early life failures, and overclocking back to GTX speeds may result in failure (I think it is a software OC and therefore you'd be safe to return it, but it is a hassle)

I am using one, and I could get running at 1600Mhz ram speeds, like the GTX, but it would artifact at 60C (thermal limit reported by nividia to 110C) I can only get artifact free performance at <1500Mhz, I have a good case with regards to cooling and airflow. So it does not perform like a GTX.

So question why you want one, if you want GT< performance < GTX performance and are happy at that price, then do it, if you are looking to reach GTX don't do it, unless you only want a card for 3 months or are expecting to send it back and will be happy with a replacement time of 3-4 weeks (in fact as it is a limited run I don't even know what they would replace it with...)

I'm happy with mine, 1280x1024 in BF2 with everything on high & AAx4 at very good FPS...

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Looks pretty impressive but still cannot beat an EVGA 7900gt 256mb version, the ram clock is slower on the GTO. The ram speeed is higher on the GT version. My guess is if you want your rig to look all pimped out with those massive cards inside then, hey, all the power to ya :wink:

Looks pretty impressive but still cannot beat an EVGA 7900gt 256mb version, the ram clock is slower on the GTO. The ram speeed is higher on the GT version. My guess is if you want your rig to look all pimped out with those massive cards inside then, hey, all the power to ya :wink:

Just out of curiosity, do you have the GT, I'd like to compare stock '05 or '06 scores... wondering how much difference the extra pipes make.

The cooler is very large, but also very quiet, and dumping heat outside the case is good for me.

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
if its the 06, its not gonna be for a coulple of days, cuz im using the Universities high speed internet to do all my downloading, and since its the morning, the bandwith is real crappy.

OK, '05 scores. 9906 without overclocking the memory.

05no1320memoryscoreskr2.png

and 10,240 overclocking memory to 1500

051500memoryscoreszd1.jpg

not that much in it really.

purdueguy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
And here it is.

k2gremlin: This is only a generalization as certain cards do better in certains games over others. Though, it does show the value of ATI's current line-up.

You'll have to go to the 3rd chart in order to get a 7900GTO comparison as Anandtech hasn't had any benchmarks on this card yet.

vois2

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Just for reference, I use two (2) of the XFX 7900 GTs in separate machines. Here are the 05 results. Also, note how the performance is improved by the dual core X2 processor.

This is XFX 7900 GT 470/685 - stock cooling.

Card A is overclocked: 562/806
05 score: 9197

When Card A is clocked back to 470/685...
(05 score is 7838)

Card A is with 4600 Athlon 64 X2, 1.0 GB DDR, MSI Neo4 K8N

My Card B is in a separate machine. It has not yet been overclocked, and it's 470/685 score is 6176.

Card B is with Pentium 4 630, 3.0 GB DDR2-400, 925X board.

one of the reasons for posting the pics was so that you could see the fps on the gpu intensive sections, and therefore account for the influence of the CPU on the overall score...

Purdue guy, not entirely sure what you were getting at with the link?

nope, got one of the MSI ones, dunno if they are any different. Can only about 740 ish without artifacting at about 60C, so its not a GTX unless the low mem volts is causing that, but I'm not will to experiment that far.