Sign in with
Your question

Maxtor personal storage 3200

Last response: in General UK & Ireland Discussions
June 5, 2010 4:24:00 PM

Can anyone help. My Maxtor 3200 suddenly stopped working. Strangely this happened when used drive with different laptop than usual (but now will not work with either), can laptops affect the drive? BTW, I have tried a different 12v cable with no joy. I wonder also if laptop cable was inserted into drive. If so, would this 'fry' the workings of the drive. Techie colleague suggests we open it and try to recover data.....is this possible or is it critical to do this in a clean room? Would appreciate any advice.
June 6, 2010 12:02:44 PM

Inside the unit you have is a standard hard disk, just like the ones you get in a PC. Your friends are suggesting that they take this out of the plastic case it is in and install it directly in a PC so they can try to get the data off of it. Quite safe to do at home. The type of recovery you are thinking of is where the disk itself is opened and though some very clever tricks the physical surface of the disk (the spinning glass bits) are read. This as you mention needs a sterile environment to be done properly.

It could well be that you inserted the wrong cable. The good news it that this _probably_ only took out the controller (the bit that makes it USB for simplicity) so your friends plan is not a bad one. I've done similar for my brother and it worked.
June 7, 2010 3:30:13 AM

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain it. I have been researching this non-stop all weekend (cables,freezing,hot-fixes etc). I now know more about problems with drives than I thought possible, but was still unsure whether to let my friend have a go but your answer reassures me. I think I will buy an new enclosure and put the disk in that for ease. Thanks again for your help.
Related resources
June 8, 2010 8:52:51 PM

It's good when a problem results in some learning. I live by the words of an old tutor that you really only learn when you break things. The new USB enclosure route is quite a good one, you can always use it with a new bare hard drive if the one from the Maxtor unit really is fried and they often work out less expensive than a retail consumer unit.
June 8, 2010 9:31:47 PM

The chimp tells the truth. My missus just had an almost identical situation, I put her hard drive in an external enclosure and all the data was still intact.
June 17, 2010 5:30:57 PM

And so were your man vegetables...
November 4, 2011 3:01:55 PM

Reported for trolling commercial software over 6 posts.
December 15, 2011 8:57:38 AM

I had exectly the same problem, found a link to this site and under thread General/Storage it was suggested to replace power supply which I did. The unit spun up and now works better then ever! My drive was getting noisy before, put it down to old but now think it was due to the power supply starting to fail.
I would suggest that anyone who has a problem with the drive not being recognised
or getting noisy tries a new power supply first. Got mine via Amazon £8.74 including freight so worth a try!
December 15, 2011 9:18:53 AM

audiovoodoo said:
It's good when a problem results in some learning. I live by the words of an old tutor that you really only learn when you break things. The new USB enclosure route is quite a good one, you can always use it with a new bare hard drive if the one from the Maxtor unit really is fried and they often work out less expensive than a retail consumer unit.

Suggest trying a new power supply before you do anything else! Fixed mine.
!