Your question

defect mobo?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • LED Monitor
  • Memory
Last response: in Motherboards
October 9, 2006 11:55:52 AM

Got this Gigabyte 7vm400m-rz second hand mobo and been trying to make it work... still.
I installed CPU, memory, a floppy, the PSU and nothing more. I just wanted to see if it boots into the bios. It froze during post. I restarted and was then able to enter Bios settings... and the screen went black at some point (didn't get to do anything to the settings).
I restarted:
Fans work, power led is lit, ram led is not (although i think it was off since try 1 - the memory chip is working fine).
I change PSU.
I restart:
fans work, ram led off, power led on... no picture.
I install a HDD.
restart:
as above but with the hdd led constantly on...!

replaced battery.... nope, didn't do it.

installed gfx card... nope.

every try after that had the same above result.
there's no beeps even if i remove the memory...

Should i throw it away?

More about : defect mobo

a c 435 V Motherboard
a c 128 } Memory
October 9, 2006 12:41:33 PM

You need just the cpu/heatsink, one stick of memory, and video for a basic post. No floppy, hardrive, etc. Also, you can connect your case speaker to the board for beep codes.
October 10, 2006 10:40:28 AM

Got it the way you say, Oldie, still no luck...
Should i consider it defect, or is this common behaviour for some mysterious reason?
Related resources
October 10, 2006 11:37:54 AM

Are all other parts good known working parts? Check capacitors for swelling/raised tops and leakage. Try just CPU and memory see if you get any bleeps.
October 10, 2006 1:18:39 PM

Quote:
Are all other parts good known working parts? Check capacitors for swelling/raised tops and leakage. Try just CPU and memory see if you get any bleeps.

Yes, they are good working parts, at least until i installed them on this mobo (the only part i can test on another system is the ram and it works fine). Could it have fried, say, the cpu?

Capacitors look ok.
No bleeps. :( 
!