New Hard Drive and S3 problems

ad

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2004
I recently decided to upgrade from an 80GB PATA to a 250GB SATAII drive.

After installing MCE2005 onto the new drive Ive realised that I can no longer bring the machine out of hibernation or S3.

Motherboard settings are definitely set to S3 in the power menu but the computer refuses to come out of either S3 or S4, instead deciding to load as if completely shudown.

The symptoms are: When told to standby, the machine logs off and then displays the blue windows screen stating it is entering standby. The LED on the front changes from green to orange but only for a split second before it goes out and the machine apparently appears dead. On pressing the power button the machine starts as if it had been completely shutdown.

Ive read that SATAII drives have had problems with S3 due to longer spin up times.

Is this true? Does anybody have any ideas how I can get the machine to do S3 and S4 properly as it did before I changed the HDD.

SPEC: MSI K8NGM2-FID
250GB Samsung SP2504C

Blown_65

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Hmm... well I own the S3 and I'm running a WD 250GB sataII drive and I have had no such complications. What brand is your hdd? Maybe there's a hardware conflict. Flash your motherboard bios to the latests as well as the firmware on your hdd. (if you haven't already) If anything, try and load bios defaults and see if it S3/S4 works like that. (could be some setting are off) Let me know, good luck!

ad

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2004
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately there doesnt seem to be any firmware update for the hard drive (its a samsung sp2504c) and im currently running the most upto date bios on the mobo.

Am I right in thinking that you also have the k8ngm2-FID board?

Blown_65

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
My mistake... I was under the assumption that you were referring to the Gigabyte 965P-S3 for socket 775. (damn assumptions) SO... nice board by the way... do you by chance have the nForce ide controller installed instead of using the microsoft default drivers? I would absolutely recommend uninstalling them, if you are using them, and let windows use the default drivers. I have a good feeling that is your problem! (so many bugs with the nForce ide drivers) Let me know!