sailer

Splendid
I suppose they could be used for game making, but the main that I see is for digital imaging, such as used in doctor's offices, design labs for equipment (hardware), and such. They are built more on the idea of exacting black and white images rather than color images, though they can show color. An example would be their "TheaterVue" series which with a 8 or 10 bit frame buffer will show 256 or 1024 simultaneous shades of gray. Not exactly what you're looking for in a gaming card.

Dont forget all the highend Matrox 3D cards.. still widely used in a range of workstations. In terms of 2D and multi head they are still one of the most popular cards in the finance houses (share dealing rooms etc) for the multi head support.

But no... from a gamers perspective Matrox has nothing you would be interested in...

exarrkun

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
my first was a matrox g200 (could also be g100 :roll: ) and it had :!: 8 mb video memory 8O 8O 8O
after that i changed to a geforce two... :wink:

They certainly were, but judging by my lack of hair I don't think there’re coming back any time soon. :lol:

we really should have made better backups ;)

it shocks me to think that the average (256Mb) graphics card nowdays has more memory than my first 4 computers put together (RAM and Graphics Memory combined!).

atp777

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Show off ;) I started out on CGA graphics but my first machine with a deidicated graphics card was a 2mb Cirrus Logic... those were the days... :D

Mine was an onboard 1MB VGA by Cirrus Logic. I think it's under my bed collecting dust. Old Packard Bell POS.

Heh, specs? Why not...

486DX2-50MHz
8MB RAM
1MB Cirrus Logic Video Onboard
420MB Seagate HDD

Wow, what a rig.

Ok... as we seem to be playing top trumps :)

Ollivetti 8088 laptop with
512Kb ram
EGA graphics
low density floppy drive
and wiat for it... a whole 20Mb hard disk!!!

Did me my first year of my IT degree tooled up with DOS 4, Turbo Pascal and a copy of Word Perfect 5.1

Lol.. the screen was so crap I had to work with the lights turned out to see it 8O

Then went to:
386SX 25 with 4Mb ram and the 2Mb Cirrus.
486DX2 66 with 16Mb Ram and 8Mb card (cant remember what but it was a POS)

sailer

Splendid
Awww man, my first graphic card was a Matrox Millennium linked to an Orchid 4MB accelerator card so I could play Quake 2 and Half-life. 8)

That does stir the memory. Matrox did supply 3D gaming cards years ago, along with 3DFX and a bunch of other long lost companies.

As to old computers, my first personal one was a Commodore 64. No hard drive, of course. Only the government and really big companies could afford them.

My bad, sorry 'bout that :wink: and whilst I no longer have one the Matrox brand will always hold a special place in my heart. ( :twisted: would'nt it be cool if they produced just one kickass 3D gamers card though, just to shake up Ati/Nvidia fanset :twisted: )

512Kb ram
EGA graphics
low density floppy drive

Did me my first year of my IT degree tooled up with DOS 4, Turbo Pascal and a copy of Word Perfect 5.1

Lol.. the screen was so crap I had to work with the lights turned out to see it 8O

Then went to:

I still have that same laptop. You selling it any time soon? P.S. I use it to code C++ while at class. Works well for that and.... um. Does it support Vista?

512Kb ram
EGA graphics
low density floppy drive

Then went to:

I still have that same laptop. You selling it any time soon? P.S. I use it to code C++ while at class. Works well for that and.... um. Does it support Vista?

Hmmm You might need a mark II unobtainium graphic chip for that :lol:

:lol: u know I wish I did have it.. it was certainly a piece of kit! :lol:

I was just impressed how much more it could do than the Specrum 48k i really started on... God I guess 32 is long enough to have lived through quite a revolution... 8O

As for comments about seeing another card maker I agree with other posts that it would be nice to see. And if they could release the specs and the driver source all the better!!

:lol: u know I wish I did have it.. it was certainly a piece of kit! :lol:

I was just impressed how much more it could do than the Specrum 48k i really started on... God I guess 32 is long enough to have lived through quite a revolution... 8O

As for comments about seeing another card maker I agree with other posts that it would be nice to see. And if they could release the specs and the driver source all the better!!

And some of us older farts have seen a little more, I'm not old enough to remember when oil lamps were a technical revolution but there are days when it feels that way :lol:

I was an avid Matrox fan and was able to play all modern games (modern at the time) on my Matrox Millennium g450. The dual head support for games was just becoming more popular, and if you had a Matrox, you could take advantage of great stuff, like Star Trek Armada. And ya 32 years old is long enough to live though quite the tech change. Im only 22, but started very early, with old stuff lol.

I was an avid Matrox fan and was able to play all modern games (modern at the time) on my Matrox Millennium g450. The dual head support for games was just becoming more popular, and if you had a Matrox, you could take advantage of great stuff, like Star Trek Armada. And ya 32 years old is long enough to live though quite the tech change. Im only 22, but started very early, with old stuff lol.

You aint no gammer in my book untill you've mastered Horris goes sking :lol:
have to say its been interesting watching it all over the years. The tech has moved on but I've not seen a real 'killer' application in a while.

The earliest PC computer game I can remeber by name is Jill of the Jungle. I remember a bunch of older games for the Mac and attari systems though. I have used the old 8088 graphical display system, and worked around main frame and tape systems. The systems are actualy still running and doing their job though :),... Takes up 2 rooms, the system does.

I'm not a mainframe man myself although I have played with some mini's in my time. I think the best mainframe story I know was the IBM plumber who worked at the European space agency in Holand.. He was emplyed to keep the watercooling going!!!

That whole system migrated to 4 AS400 boxes I believe...

atp777

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I remember trying to free up enough conventional memory just to play a game. I had a floppy boot disk that ran the base DOS system files to I had roughly 600k or more conventional so I could play games. Hehe...