Mar 22, 2006
Here is my specs.

amd +3700
DFI LP SLI-EXPERT
2x 1Gb Corsair ExPert
EVGA 7900gt
NEOHE 550psu

I need the best out these types of CPU's gimme the best reguardless of $$$$
Then the best bang for the buck and your guys' opinions, cuz I really want to upgrade my cpu, unless I can OC my current cpu to insane clocks

RichPLS

Champion
imo, you would be better off going with an Intel C2D (E6300 or E6600), mobo and 1gig DDR2 RAM.
That will be cheaper and acheive more performance than going for an AMD CPU, mobo and DDR2 RAM

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Well dude, I will give ya an actual useful answer rather than what the other dude gave you. You want to upgrade without spending a fortune on a new system because the stuff you have would be incompatible. Well here is the gist, if you want to overclock go with the opteron stuff! Much better for overclocking. If you are going to run her at stock speeds go with the x2 because it will have a higher clock and they are essentially the same chip. If you overclock then get a 170 opteron or even the 165 because they are all dual core. If you are running stock then get the x2 4800 because their price drop was the greatest. The opterons will run at the same speed and have no other benefit other than slightly cooler temps and better overclocks. Good luck bro.

PS Common knowledge that the c2d is better.........duh

chenBrazil

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
if you need to break a record on OC ? 170 would be the choice (over 3.2 report) but if you are budget concerned, X2 would be better and will give you good OC potential ...as you may noticed, X2 prices are dropping but Opteron's price have remained almost the same for a long time (and 165 opty's are still overpriced from initial orientation from AMD due end user demand as it is really OC'able... ) so X2 would be a more balanced choice for you...

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
understood that the c2d is the cheapest and the best but I dont want tospend $$$ on a new mobo ddr2 ram and a new cpu, cuz the mobo that I know have is only capable of ddr I think unless there is sumthing els That I should know about my mobo.

thelvyn

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
How about a motherboard that would allow you to use your existing ram etc..
Only need to replace the mb and cpu if you get a asrock america 775dual vsta
Takes DDR1 or DDR2
Can use AGP and PCI-E(At the same time if you like) video cards also.
Then you can upgrade your ram at your leisure.

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
With Today's prices, I really can't see why someone who is concerned with money would purchase anything for the socket 939 board other than the 3800 or 4200. If you're going to spend more than that (they're both under $200), than you really should be thinking of getting a new motherboard and upgrading more components. Recently, the 3800x2 has risen in price, which would lead me to conclude that the 4200 is going to be the best bang for the buck for your individual needs.

RichPLS

Champion
How about a motherboard that would allow you to use your existing ram etc..
Only need to replace the mb and cpu if you get a asrock america 775dual vsta
Takes DDR1 or DDR2
Can use AGP and PCI-E(At the same time if you like) video cards also.
Then you can upgrade your ram at your leisure.

Winner... :trophy:

thelvyn

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Well unless its the $10,000 computer I am not excited :p

Also in case anyone did not notice what I was replying too (Since I did not say this and should have) that board works with core2 duo cpus.

RichPLS

Champion
I disagree since a 175 costs near $500 and a 180 costs over $600...

Before I did that I would have to consider a C2D ~$180, mobo ~$150 and RAM ~$150... totaling around $480, which is what just the Opteron 175 would cost he was inquiring about...

and I honestly believe that route would offer better performance now plus offer greater future upgradeability, and provide him with potential to overclock making it a much better value than simply a CPU swap alone...

Simply as a suggestion to consider,
and not to mention I clarified my statements as "in my opinion", which was what he was asking for in the first place.

Now retire you old phart! :twisted: :lol:

RichPLS

Champion
You've been badly sussed... Awright, ya daft choice dak puffing kiwi scarfie, the fulla from across the ditch wanted the best regardless of the $$$$ as the OP states...

I simply obliged and gave a well informed statement with no extra lip trying to save the lad from pissing it up the wall, yet ya want go all fanny pan handle like an biatch slap like a sausage jockey, so catch off my back an take a longdrop before I open up a dak tinny myself and bogard it, ya hear.

chur bro quit being such a pillow biter an wag merrily on before your declared a complete plank ... 8)

thelvyn

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Well in that case why dont you reccomend the fx-62 if his rig is so nice other then a weak(By todays standards) cpu ?
My reccomendation was wrong in context as somehow I missed the money doesnt matter part.

The asrock is the poor mans upgrade for people like me. Yea im poor.

thelvyn

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Well thats very interesting to be sure.
From the last link you gave however.

So what did we see during our tests? Other than 3DMark our 7900GTX performed nearly the same on both boards despite the ASRock only having a 4x PCI-E slot. It’s extremely doubtful that you’d be able to tell what motherboard was being used if you couldn’t peek inside the case.

We also saw that high memory bandwidth really doesn’t have a huge impact on the way some applications perform. Overall the higher memory speed will give a bit better performance, but the need for $475 kits of 2GB memory should be reserved strictly for those concerned with benchmark world records.

So what complaints do we have? Well performance certainly is not one of them! How can you complain about a motherboard that costs less than a date with that girl that sits next to you in class? The “drawbacks” of this motherboard are only in the lack of features. Better overclocking options would be nice, a couple more SATA ports, gigabit Ethernet, DDRII 800 support. These would all be great but would destroy the goal of this board, and that is to give people on older systems a very inexpensive way to upgrade to the world’s fastest processor. As it stands you can stick any of the recently announced Core 2 Duo processors in this board and get excellent performance.

After spending a a couple weeks with the 775Dual-VSTA board I have to say I really like it. When you consider we’ve just seen this $55.99 motherboard hold its own against the Intel 975 chipset in the situations we tested, a motherboard that is over 4 times more expensive at $242.99! I'm currently using it in my 24/7 system which should tell you a lot about the confidence that I have in it.

Something that is often assumed is that support is low for something costing so little. That is not the case here as during the week of our testing there were two BIOS updates which shows that ASRock is in your corner with excellent updates and support.
Legit Bottom Line: The ASRock 775Dual-VSTA kicks ass. While not the best board to overclock it’s stable as a rock, performs well and saves you money to put towards other parts in your system. If you can't afford a $250 motherboard this little gem is a killer bang for the buck.
So for the price of the x2 4600 he could get a core2 e6300 and the 775dual vsta and get more performance out of it.

trinitron64

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I don't undertand why you need a new CPU already?

I also have a San Diego which is the former FX flagship core. Your sandy may not have an unlocked multi but hell why replace it now?

GPUs need constant replacing, your CPU isn't holding you back that damn much. I say hold off a bit, OC your core as I am... on stock voltage mine went to 2.8 but then my shitty motherboard crapped out (A8V-MX). Just keep it till you actually seriously need to upgrade and by that time you may be able to get an E6400 for the price of todays 3200's.

SHEESH!

trinitron64

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I have seen people push 3700's to 3.0Ghz + on stock voltage.

Hell, give it some voltage, throw on a memory divider and OC it. I say take back your ram a bit and push for more Mhz! The memory controller is on die. Push that sucker past the 3ghz point. When mine was at 2.8Ghz it was still 17C at idle. and 33C Load.

San Diego is a good processor. If you love to game, just use your single core.