Faxing Having DSL vs No Dial Tone

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I recently switched from dial-up to DSL. Using WinXP's built-in faxing
capabilities, how do I now get my internal dial-up modem to dial for faxing
purposes, now that I have DSL? Or can I somehow fax through DSL? WinXP
faxing worked fine when I had dial-up internet service. But now when I
attempt to send a fax, I get error messages that there's no dial tone. What
do I need to set or re-set?

Thanks!
29 answers Last reply
More about faxing dial tone

    "Bob Holiday" wrote:

    > I recently switched from dial-up to DSL. Using WinXP's built-in faxing
    > capabilities, how do I now get my internal dial-up modem to dial for faxing
    > purposes, now that I have DSL? Or can I somehow fax through DSL? WinXP
    > faxing worked fine when I had dial-up internet service. But now when I
    > attempt to send a fax, I get error messages that there's no dial tone. What
    > do I need to set or re-set?
    >
    > Thanks!

    You need a dialup connection to fax DSL won't do it.
    Did you already cancel your old dialup service?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Faxing can only use analog phone lines. Therefore, sending a fax by DSL
    requires one of two methods:

    1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    telephone to the DSL line, then connect a regular analog fax modem to the
    line through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, as does
    your local Radio Shack store:

    http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)

    2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:

    http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Bob Holiday" <Bob4579@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I recently switched from dial-up to DSL. Using WinXP's built-in faxing
    > capabilities, how do I now get my internal dial-up modem to dial for
    > faxing
    > purposes, now that I have DSL? Or can I somehow fax through DSL? WinXP
    > faxing worked fine when I had dial-up internet service. But now when I
    > attempt to send a fax, I get error messages that there's no dial tone.
    > What
    > do I need to set or re-set?
    >
    > Thanks!

    > You need a dialup connection to fax DSL won't do it.
    > Did you already cancel your old dialup service?

    Yeah, I did cancel it because to keep it was another $10/mo.

    Thanks for the info!
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    > 1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    > telephone to the DSL line, then connect a regular analog fax modem to the
    > line through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, as
    > does your local Radio Shack store:

    Yep, I've already got extra filters. Looks like I'll have to hook up a fax
    modem, per your instructions--I suppose there's no way I can use the
    internal fax modem that's already in my computer? True, I did cancel my
    dial-up service when I got DSL, but I'm just wondering if there's a
    work-around in order to use my existing internal fax modem. I'd really like
    to avoid an internet fax service because of the charges to send faxes--I do
    already have e-fax which is free, but free only to receive faxes (see item
    #2 below). It works great.

    Thanks for the help, Russ, and for taking the trouble of posting all the
    links below, which were really interesting reading.

    > http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)
    >
    > 2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:
    >
    > http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    > Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    > http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    > FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?
    >

    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Bob Holiday" <Bob4579@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I recently switched from dial-up to DSL. Using WinXP's built-in faxing
    >> capabilities, how do I now get my internal dial-up modem to dial for
    >> faxing
    >> purposes, now that I have DSL? Or can I somehow fax through DSL? WinXP
    >> faxing worked fine when I had dial-up internet service. But now when I
    >> attempt to send a fax, I get error messages that there's no dial tone.
    >> What
    >> do I need to set or re-set?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    The DSL connection we have at work has both DSL and analog capability. The
    phone company supplied some sort of coupler/filter that has the analog line
    split out. That in turn, connects to a FAX machine.

    "Bob Holiday" <Bob4579@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I recently switched from dial-up to DSL. Using WinXP's built-in faxing
    > capabilities, how do I now get my internal dial-up modem to dial for
    > faxing
    > purposes, now that I have DSL? Or can I somehow fax through DSL? WinXP
    > faxing worked fine when I had dial-up internet service. But now when I
    > attempt to send a fax, I get error messages that there's no dial tone.
    > What
    > do I need to set or re-set?
    >
    > Thanks!

    ---
    Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Indeed you would need to connect your fax modem to the analog line your
    filter provides. I see no reason you couldn't use your internal fax modem
    for that.
    --
    >> 1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    >> telephone to the DSL line, then connect a regular analog fax modem to the
    >> line through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, as
    >> does your local Radio Shack store:
    >
    > Yep, I've already got extra filters. Looks like I'll have to hook up a fax
    > modem, per your instructions--I suppose there's no way I can use the
    > internal fax modem that's already in my computer? True, I did cancel my
    > dial-up service when I got DSL, but I'm just wondering if there's a
    > work-around in order to use my existing internal fax modem. I'd really
    > like to avoid an internet fax service because of the charges to send
    > faxes--I do already have e-fax which is free, but free only to receive
    > faxes (see item #2 below). It works great.
    >
    > Thanks for the help, Russ, and for taking the trouble of posting all the
    > links below, which were really interesting reading.
    >
    >> http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)
    >>
    >> 2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:
    >>
    >> http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    >> Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    >> http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    >> FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "Bob Holiday" <Bob4579@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I recently switched from dial-up to DSL. Using WinXP's built-in faxing
    >>> capabilities, how do I now get my internal dial-up modem to dial for
    >>> faxing
    >>> purposes, now that I have DSL? Or can I somehow fax through DSL? WinXP
    >>> faxing worked fine when I had dial-up internet service. But now when I
    >>> attempt to send a fax, I get error messages that there's no dial tone.
    >>> What
    >>> do I need to set or re-set?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Set XP Fax to use the modem.. moving to DSL has probably knocked out the
    connection from the settings..

    "Bob Holiday" <Bob4579@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I recently switched from dial-up to DSL. Using WinXP's built-in faxing
    > capabilities, how do I now get my internal dial-up modem to dial for
    > faxing
    > purposes, now that I have DSL? Or can I somehow fax through DSL? WinXP
    > faxing worked fine when I had dial-up internet service. But now when I
    > attempt to send a fax, I get error messages that there's no dial tone.
    > What
    > do I need to set or re-set?
    >
    > Thanks!

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Is the phone line even still connected to the dial up modem ?

    Faxing is direct dial.
    Go to "start"-"setting"-"control panel"-"phone and modem options".
    Make sure the setting are correct.

    you might need to disconnect (hang up) from your DSL ISP before attempting
    faxing ?

    You can also use your Internet connection and have some Internet faxing
    service send the fax for you.

    "Bob Holiday" <Bob4579@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I recently switched from dial-up to DSL. Using WinXP's built-in faxing
    > capabilities, how do I now get my internal dial-up modem to dial for
    > faxing
    > purposes, now that I have DSL? Or can I somehow fax through DSL? WinXP
    > faxing worked fine when I had dial-up internet service. But now when I
    > attempt to send a fax, I get error messages that there's no dial tone.
    > What
    > do I need to set or re-set?
    >
    > Thanks!

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I had set up 2 phone lines before I installed DSL. I kept both lines, the
    second line is pretty cheap (I use Verizon in NY) so I run my DSL with my
    regular phone line that I use for normal phone calls. The fax line is
    connected to the second line. There is no conflict as it is a true separate
    phone number.

    Good luck.

    > Faxing can only use analog phone lines. Therefore, sending a fax by DSL
    > requires one of two methods:
    >
    > 1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    > telephone to the DSL line, then connect a regular analog fax modem to the
    > line through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, as
    > does your local Radio Shack store:
    >
    > http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)
    >
    > 2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:
    >
    > http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    > Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    > http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    > FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?
    >

    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Bob Holiday" <Bob4579@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I recently switched from dial-up to DSL. Using WinXP's built-in faxing
    >> capabilities, how do I now get my internal dial-up modem to dial for
    >> faxing
    >> purposes, now that I have DSL? Or can I somehow fax through DSL? WinXP
    >> faxing worked fine when I had dial-up internet service. But now when I
    >> attempt to send a fax, I get error messages that there's no dial tone.
    >> What
    >> do I need to set or re-set?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Tod wrote:
    > Is the phone line even still connected to the dial up modem ?
    >
    > Faxing is direct dial.
    > Go to "start"-"setting"-"control panel"-"phone and modem options".
    > Make sure the setting are correct.
    >
    > you might need to disconnect (hang up) from your DSL ISP before
    > attempting faxing ?

    Of course not! Do you have to disconnect the phone before connecting via
    DSL?!

    on salads.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I do not use DSL, so I can only guess.

    > Tod wrote:
    >> Is the phone line even still connected to the dial up modem ?
    >>
    >> Faxing is direct dial.
    >> Go to "start"-"setting"-"control panel"-"phone and modem options".
    >> Make sure the setting are correct.
    >>
    >> you might need to disconnect (hang up) from your DSL ISP before
    >> attempting faxing ?
    >
    > Of course not! Do you have to disconnect the phone before connecting via
    > DSL?!
    >

    > --
    > Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    > on salads.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Consider this alternative:

    Scan the item you want to FAX.

    Save the scanned image as something common, like JPG, GIF, or even PDF (see
    note below).

    Send an email instead of a FAX, with the image attached.

    Note on scanning to PDF: There are several PDF-print-drivers on the market,
    some are even free. With these you print to a fake printer, called a PDF
    driver. It asks you for a file name, and then saves a PDF of what would
    have otherwise gone to paper. Once installed, these work from any windows
    application that can print. My favorite is Broadgun's PDFmachine, but
    others that work for me include CutePDF, and Virtual PDF printer. The
    latter two are free, but do include a line on every PDF asking you to buy
    them.

    "Bob Holiday" <Bob4579@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I recently switched from dial-up to DSL. Using WinXP's built-in faxing
    > capabilities, how do I now get my internal dial-up modem to dial for
    > faxing
    > purposes, now that I have DSL? Or can I somehow fax through DSL? WinXP
    > faxing worked fine when I had dial-up internet service. But now when I
    > attempt to send a fax, I get error messages that there's no dial tone.
    > What
    > do I need to set or re-set?
    >
    > Thanks!

    You don't need a dialup to fax. Internet has got nothing to do with faxing. You need a fax or fax/modem and a phone line.

    http://www.uscricket.com

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    You don't need a dialup to fax. Internet has got nothing to do with faxing.
    You need a fax or fax/modem and a phone line.

    Literally, the internet has got nothing to do with faxing, as you say.
    However, there are a half dozen internet fax services out there that
    essentially do the job for you. Efax is one, which I currently use. The
    problem is that although receiving faxes is free, they charge for their
    premium service which allows you to send faxes. The service does work very
    well; you receive the faxes through your e-mail--you just click the
    attachment, and voila, the fax opens. But I don't need to spend even more
    money on an internet fax service, just so I can send them that way.

    As you and others have said, it looks like I'll have to get an external fax
    modem and fax that way.

    Thanks for your reply!
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Cause you can use your internal modem. Your modem, if no longer using dialup, is doing nothing. It has nothing to do with dsl.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Bob Holiday" <Bob4579@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:10qcnih928kfm06@corp.supernews.com...
    >> 1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    >> telephone to the DSL line, then connect a regular analog fax modem to the
    >> line through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, as
    >> does your local Radio Shack store:
    >
    > Yep, I've already got extra filters. Looks like I'll have to hook up a fax
    > modem, per your instructions--I suppose there's no way I can use the
    > internal fax modem that's already in my computer? True, I did cancel my
    > dial-up service when I got DSL, but I'm just wondering if there's a
    > work-around in order to use my existing internal fax modem. I'd really like
    > to avoid an internet fax service because of the charges to send faxes--I do
    > already have e-fax which is free, but free only to receive faxes (see item
    > #2 below). It works great.
    >
    > Thanks for the help, Russ, and for taking the trouble of posting all the
    > links below, which were really interesting reading.
    >
    >> http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)
    >>
    >> 2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:
    >>
    >> http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    >> Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    >> http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    >> FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "Bob Holiday" <Bob4579@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I recently switched from dial-up to DSL. Using WinXP's built-in faxing
    >>> capabilities, how do I now get my internal dial-up modem to dial for
    >>> faxing
    >>> purposes, now that I have DSL? Or can I somehow fax through DSL? WinXP
    >>> faxing worked fine when I had dial-up internet service. But now when I
    >>> attempt to send a fax, I get error messages that there's no dial tone.
    >>> What
    >>> do I need to set or re-set?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    In news:ev51Pl70EHA.1260@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Bob Harris <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> typed:

    > Consider this alternative:
    >
    > Scan the item you want to FAX.
    >
    > Save the scanned image as something common, like JPG, GIF, or
    > even
    > PDF (see note below).
    >
    > Send an email instead of a FAX, with the image attached.

    Unfortunately, there are many companies (and even individuals)
    who require that certain things be faxed to them, and won't
    accept E-mail instead (or perhaps don't even have E-mail
    capability).

    It seems to me that fax is old technology, and should be
    replaced by E-mailing scanned documents, but I don't see any
    signs of that happening.

    Please reply to the newsgroup
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    If you use DSL or cable, you can still FAX from your
    computer by connection a standard telephone line to a
    standard modem, which is probably also installed in your
    computer. It is a simple matter to assign the FAX to the
    modem and the Internet to the NIC or USB.

    "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
    message news:%23M0hOL%230EHA.1076@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    | In news:ev51Pl70EHA.1260@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    | Bob Harris <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> typed:
    |
    | > Consider this alternative:
    | >
    | > Scan the item you want to FAX.
    | >
    | > Save the scanned image as something common, like JPG,
    GIF, or
    | > even
    | > PDF (see note below).
    | >
    | > Send an email instead of a FAX, with the image attached.
    |

    | Unfortunately, there are many companies (and even
    individuals)
    | who require that certain things be faxed to them, and
    won't
    | accept E-mail instead (or perhaps don't even have E-mail
    | capability).
    |
    | It seems to me that fax is old technology, and should be
    | replaced by E-mailing scanned documents, but I don't see
    any
    | signs of that happening.
    |
    | --
    | Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    | Please reply to the newsgroup

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    In news:O%23kK0w%230EHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    Jim Macklin <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> typed:

    > If you use DSL or cable, you can still FAX from your
    > computer by connection a standard telephone line to a
    > standard modem, which is probably also installed in your
    > computer. It is a simple matter to assign the FAX to the
    > modem and the Internet to the NIC or USB.

    Yes, of course, as I believe more than one person pointed out
    earlier in this thread.

    I didn't say otherwise; my post was meant to point out that Bob
    Harris's suggestion of scanning and E-mailing a document instead
    of faxing it doesn't necessarily work all the time. There are
    those companies and individuals who insist on getting a fax, not
    an E-mail message.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
    > message news:%23M0hOL%230EHA.1076@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >| In news:ev51Pl70EHA.1260@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >| Bob Harris <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> typed:
    >|
    >| > Consider this alternative:
    >| >
    >| > Scan the item you want to FAX.
    >| >
    >| > Save the scanned image as something common, like JPG, GIF,
    >or
    >| > even
    >| > PDF (see note below).
    >| >
    >| > Send an email instead of a FAX, with the image attached.
    >|

    >| Unfortunately, there are many companies (and even individuals)
    >| who require that certain things be faxed to them, and won't
    >| accept E-mail instead (or perhaps don't even have E-mail
    >| capability).
    >|
    >| It seems to me that fax is old technology, and should be
    >| replaced by E-mailing scanned documents, but I don't see any
    >| signs of that happening.
    >|
    >| --
    >| Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    >| Please reply to the newsgroup
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    begin Tod piddled around and finally wrote:

    > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
    >> Tod wrote:
    >>> Is the phone line even still connected to the dial up modem ?
    >>>
    >>> Faxing is direct dial.
    >>> Go to "start"-"setting"-"control panel"-"phone and modem options".
    >>> Make sure the setting are correct.
    >>>
    >>> you might need to disconnect (hang up) from your DSL ISP before
    >>> attempting faxing ?
    >>
    >> Of course not! Do you have to disconnect the phone before connecting via
    >> DSL?!
    >
    > I do not use DSL, so I can only guess.

    Ignore the waste of good air known as Miss Perspiration Stink. Notice she
    provides no answer herself to the OP?
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    One is a company called Microsoft. I had to fax them 2 years ago. And I could only fax. I had to do a screen shot of their web page, fax the web page in.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message news:%23xHf3N$0EHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > In news:O%23kK0w%230EHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    > Jim Macklin <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> typed:
    >
    >> If you use DSL or cable, you can still FAX from your
    >> computer by connection a standard telephone line to a
    >> standard modem, which is probably also installed in your
    >> computer. It is a simple matter to assign the FAX to the
    >> modem and the Internet to the NIC or USB.
    >

    > Yes, of course, as I believe more than one person pointed out
    > earlier in this thread.
    >
    > I didn't say otherwise; my post was meant to point out that Bob
    > Harris's suggestion of scanning and E-mailing a document instead
    > of faxing it doesn't necessarily work all the time. There are
    > those companies and individuals who insist on getting a fax, not
    > an E-mail message.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup
    >

    >> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
    >> message news:%23M0hOL%230EHA.1076@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >>| In news:ev51Pl70EHA.1260@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >>| Bob Harris <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> typed:

    >>or

    >>| Unfortunately, there are many companies (and even individuals)
    >>| who require that certain things be faxed to them, and won't
    >>| accept E-mail instead (or perhaps don't even have E-mail
    >>| capability).
    >>|
    >>| It seems to me that fax is old technology, and should be
    >>| replaced by E-mailing scanned documents, but I don't see any
    >>| signs of that happening.
    >>|
    >>| --
    >>| Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    >>| Please reply to the newsgroup

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    In news:%23CA8ZoA1EHA.3468@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    David Candy <.> typed:

    > One is a company called Microsoft. I had to fax them 2 years
    > ago. And
    > I could only fax. I had to do a screen shot of their web page,
    > fax
    > the web page in.

    I didn't mention it earlier, but I had exactly the same
    experience with Microsoft about a year ago. They refused to
    accept an E-mail message from me, and they required that I fax
    them.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    >> In news:O%23kK0w%230EHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    >> Jim Macklin <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> typed:
    >>
    >>> If you use DSL or cable, you can still FAX from your
    >>> computer by connection a standard telephone line to a
    >>> standard modem, which is probably also installed in your
    >>> computer. It is a simple matter to assign the FAX to the
    >>> modem and the Internet to the NIC or USB.
    >>

    >> Yes, of course, as I believe more than one person pointed out
    >> earlier in this thread.
    >>
    >> I didn't say otherwise; my post was meant to point out that
    >> Bob
    >> Harris's suggestion of scanning and E-mailing a document
    >> instead
    >> of faxing it doesn't necessarily work all the time. There are
    >> those companies and individuals who insist on getting a fax,
    >> not
    >> an E-mail message.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup
    >>

    >>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
    >>> message news:%23M0hOL%230EHA.1076@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

    >>>or

    >>>individuals)

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Like you've ever answered anyone.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "joh N" <biggus_dickus@hymenpoker.com> wrote in message news:41a85e58_1@newspeer2.tds.net...
    > begin Tod piddled around and finally wrote:
    >

    >> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message

    >>> Of course not! Do you have to disconnect the phone before connecting via
    >>> DSL?!
    >>
    >> I do not use DSL, so I can only guess.
    >>

    > Ignore the waste of good air known as Miss Perspiration Stink. Notice she
    > provides no answer herself to the OP?
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    You are a true troll.You never have anything
    constructive to say and you are always critical of others. Read some of your
    posts. Your posts are mostly, if not all pure garbage. They speak for
    themselves. Check them out. It seems most people agree with me.
    http://tinyurl.com/5ly92
    http://tinyurl.com/5msfx

    > Tod wrote:
    >> Is the phone line even still connected to the dial up modem ?
    >>
    >> Faxing is direct dial.
    >> Go to "start"-"setting"-"control panel"-"phone and modem options".
    >> Make sure the setting are correct.
    >>
    >> you might need to disconnect (hang up) from your DSL ISP before
    >> attempting faxing ?
    >
    > Of course not! Do you have to disconnect the phone before connecting via
    > DSL?!
    >

    > --
    > Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    > on salads.

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I had the same issue, sort of. It had to be this way for my wife's
    simplicity, (LOL) Don't know if this will help you or not, but it might
    shed some light on what you gotta do to get yours working. My phone company
    provides me with 3 telephone numbers. 1 for DSL, which I don't really
    control and 2 analog lines. 1 analog for my phone and 1 for my fax machine.

    1. Computer to DSL modem
    2. Fax machine connected to analog phone line
    3. Computer modem connected to fax machine.

    The company she works for requires an original fax to be sent.
    Here's what happens.
    The fax machine is set to ignore incoming phone calls, thereby allowing
    windows to answer the call. I am using winfax to manage incoming faxes.
    they can then be viewed with software or printed using fax machine. whenever
    a fax needs to be sent, just send it normally through the fax machine.

    hope this helps.
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Bob,

    1. I have replied since I am appalled at the lack of good information that
    you have received to date.

    2. You can still use the built in faxing features of Windows XP. You will
    have to connect your phone line to your built in fax modem card. I would
    recommend using a line that goes to a phone, then to your computer, so that
    the computer won't be the first device to see the incoming signal, and answer
    the phone if the modem is configured to do so. (see below ascii diagram)

    Standard PSTN Existing Existing
    Phone Line in to <-----------> Telephone <------------> Fax Modem
    Home Handset on
    'puter

    3. You can send faxes over the internet for free. There is a website where
    you can download a small application, and send faxes to the majority of the
    country, and world, for free. The website is http://www.tpc.int/ and while
    the client may seem a bit odd, it does work. I also am a paying member of
    the EFAX service, however, I do check to see if I can send my faxes by TPC
    first, and only send via EFAX if TPC cannot connect.

    I hope that this clarifies your options, and I wish you the best of luck.

    Please send any questions to my hotmail address...

    Regards,

    Jim Noble.

    "Bob Holiday" wrote:

    > I recently switched from dial-up to DSL. Using WinXP's built-in faxing
    > capabilities, how do I now get my internal dial-up modem to dial for faxing
    > purposes, now that I have DSL? Or can I somehow fax through DSL? WinXP
    > faxing worked fine when I had dial-up internet service. But now when I
    > attempt to send a fax, I get error messages that there's no dial tone. What
    > do I need to set or re-set?
    >
    > Thanks!

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Thank goodness you rescued us. What part of your post did you not find
    in previous replies?
    ------
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    J. Noble wrote:
    > Bob,
    >
    > 1. I have replied since I am appalled at the lack of good information that
    > you have received to date.
    >
    > 2. You can still use the built in faxing features of Windows XP. You will
    > have to connect your phone line to your built in fax modem card. I would
    > recommend using a line that goes to a phone, then to your computer, so that
    > the computer won't be the first device to see the incoming signal, and answer
    > the phone if the modem is configured to do so. (see below ascii diagram)
    >
    > Standard PSTN Existing Existing
    > Phone Line in to <-----------> Telephone <------------> Fax Modem
    > Home Handset on
    > 'puter
    >
    > 3. You can send faxes over the internet for free. There is a website where
    > you can download a small application, and send faxes to the majority of the
    > country, and world, for free. The website is http://www.tpc.int/ and while
    > the client may seem a bit odd, it does work. I also am a paying member of
    > the EFAX service, however, I do check to see if I can send my faxes by TPC
    > first, and only send via EFAX if TPC cannot connect.
    >
    > I hope that this clarifies your options, and I wish you the best of luck.
    >
    > Please send any questions to my hotmail address...
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jim Noble.
    >
    > "Bob Holiday" wrote:
    >

    >>I recently switched from dial-up to DSL. Using WinXP's built-in faxing
    >>capabilities, how do I now get my internal dial-up modem to dial for faxing
    >>purposes, now that I have DSL? Or can I somehow fax through DSL? WinXP
    >>faxing worked fine when I had dial-up internet service. But now when I
    >>attempt to send a fax, I get error messages that there's no dial tone. What
    >>do I need to set or re-set?
    >>
    >>Thanks!

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Russ,

    sentence below;

    > Thank goodness you rescued us. What part of your post did you not find
    > in previous replies?

    You ask, “What part of your post did you not find in previous replies?�

    Well, for one, clarity. There was no single post that showed this end user
    all of his options, nor was any post a simple link to the destination of the
    information referenced.

    There were several links, with buried information, that did not directly
    answer the end-user's question, but instead, barraged them with superfluous
    information, that may or may not have answered this user’s question. I have
    always maintained that on message boards, bulletin boards, user relationship
    panels, and in teaching, that helping someone is about teaching them, and
    providing simple, clear answers out of their questions.

    It seems that this particular thread had gone down the path of “throwing a
    book at the user and shouting “RTFM�.

    It was just simply a number of people who desired to help, but did not
    follow through.

    I am not out to seek a flame war, nor will I reply to any responses on this
    topic, I simply hope that you and the others here, take a position to assist
    some of these people with a “pinch of empathy�. Not everyone can absorb the
    technical solutions as quickly and easily as you can, and it helps them for
    you to think about their struggle when replying.

    Just my 2¢, YMMV.

    GoodNub.
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    It was hardly insecurity. It was curiosity. You were the one who started off
    with a strong indictment of the help provided in this thread to date. Why,
    you were "appalled" at how bad it was. Since I try my best to be helpful
    when I post, I went back to see what I and the others had done so badly. I
    just couldn't find any information that had been left out or that was even
    all that unclear.
    You'd never get a flame war from me. Heck, I am most grateful for any other
    helpful posts that are made in this group and hope you keep doing so. We
    need all the help we can get. I most certainly welcome any clarifications to
    my posts because it's hard to know at what technical level the original
    poster might be. Most posters are likely above mine, actually, since I don't
    work in this field at all. It might go over better, however, if you did so
    without insulting everyone who posted before you.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "J. Noble" <JNoble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Russ,

    > first
    > sentence below;
    >
    >> Thank goodness you rescued us. What part of your post did you not find
    >> in previous replies?
    >
    > You ask, "What part of your post did you not find in previous replies?"
    >
    > Well, for one, clarity. There was no single post that showed this end
    > user
    > all of his options, nor was any post a simple link to the destination of
    > the
    > information referenced.
    >
    > There were several links, with buried information, that did not directly
    > answer the end-user's question, but instead, barraged them with
    > superfluous
    > information, that may or may not have answered this user's question. I
    > have
    > always maintained that on message boards, bulletin boards, user
    > relationship
    > panels, and in teaching, that helping someone is about teaching them, and
    > providing simple, clear answers out of their questions.
    >
    > It seems that this particular thread had gone down the path of "throwing a
    > book at the user and shouting "RTFM".
    >
    > It was just simply a number of people who desired to help, but did not
    > follow through.
    >
    > I am not out to seek a flame war, nor will I reply to any responses on
    > this
    > topic, I simply hope that you and the others here, take a position to
    > assist
    > some of these people with a "pinch of empathy". Not everyone can absorb
    > the
    > technical solutions as quickly and easily as you can, and it helps them
    > for
    > you to think about their struggle when replying.
    >
    > Just my 2¢, YMMV.
    >
    > GoodNub.

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 08:10:31 -0500, "Bob Harris"
    <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Consider this alternative:
    >
    >Scan the item you want to FAX.
    >
    >Save the scanned image as something common, like JPG, GIF, or even PDF (see
    >note below).
    >
    >Send an email instead of a FAX, with the image attached.

    Bob

    I like this idea but was wondering if it is possible to simply
    fax the scanned image. If so, how would this be done?

    Barry

    {snip}

Microsoft DSL Fax Dial Up Connection Windows XP