• Logitech G5

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • RAZER Diamondback

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters

goorioles747

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I have a Logitech G5, but wonder if I may like the RAZER Diamondback more. What are your opinions please, preferably if you have used them both.

(or anyother razer's like the copperhead etc.)

Robovski

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
I'd say both are good choices, but it's all down to how you use your mouse and what you like.

I'm a "finger-mouse" man*, so I prefer the Diamondback in this choice.

* I hold my mouse with my fingers and rest my hand on the desk/table, directing movement with my fingers and a bit of wrist. This is opposed to "hand-mouse" where the user rests thier hand on the mouse and mostly moves from wrist and arm.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Razer diamondback has 2 thumb buttons, and also works left handed. I think its superior to the G5, although the G5 does have a slicker motion since they have larger feet. But I think the Razer is a better mouse in general, although you can't go wrong with either.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2522671&sku=R99-1044

Get the copperhead though, since the software is better than the one for Diamondback, and 30 bucks is a damn nice price.

goorioles747

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Razer diamondback has 2 thumb buttons, and also works left handed. I think its superior to the G5, although the G5 does have a slicker motion since they have larger feet. But I think the Razer is a better mouse in general, although you can't go wrong with either.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2522671&sku=R99-1044

Get the copperhead though, since the software is better than the one for Diamondback, and 30 bucks is a damn nice price.

Dude, that price is freaking amazing, I was looking at a diamondback for like 35 bucks (on newegg no less) Thank. But, have you used a G5 aswell?

Natecannon

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
the difference between the two is night and day. For fast paced FPS and high frame rate games the Razer line up is the best. It all comes down to how comfortable you are with the mouse. Yes you will benefit from a Razer, but it takes time to get used to a high quality gaming mouse. Is it worth changing mice and getting used to it again?

It took me awhile to get used to my 1010, but it's a helluva lot better than my MS intellipoint bs I had before... I have a razer copperhead too, but I don't like it as much as my fatal1ty.

goorioles747

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
the difference between the two is night and day. For fast paced FPS and high frame rate games the Razer line up is the best. It all comes down to how comfortable you are with the mouse. Yes you will benefit from a Razer, but it takes time to get used to a high quality gaming mouse. Is it worth changing mice and getting used to it again?

It took me awhile to get used to my 1010, but it's a helluva lot better than my MS intellipoint bs I had before... I have a razer copperhead too, but I don't like it as much as my fatal1ty.

I am surprised to hear that because most people seem to hate the f1tality mice? What do you like about it?

Natecannon

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
I like the size of it, even though I hate the firmware that came with the mouse (it screws up your hertz on USB) I love the claw grip you need to take to use it. I've just gotten used to it I think.

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I h8 cords...

There is no latency with wireless mice nowadays... proof of this is that I'm in CAL (The Counter-strike: source league)

Jinx13

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
I think the G5 is better. Unless you are left handed and like to use your mouse that way the G5 is more comfortable imo. I like the weights in it as well, because I was used to using a cordless mouse before, so adding the extra weight was a good thing for me. I also think it makes you movement less jerky when you have the sensitivity turned up. But my main reason for prefering the G5 is all the buttons. The setpoint software is good for reprogramming what buttons do what. You don't usually need to change the sensitivity outside of gaming so why not reprgram those buttons to something more helpful like page up and down. I never use sidescrolling so that got reprogrammed too. Now I have delete and enter without ever have to touch my keyboard. You might use them for something else but I love the flexibility. So, unless you are strictly using your computer for gaming and absolutely nothing else the G5 is just a better all around mouse.

And by the way, I too am a "finger mouse man" and the G5 works quite well for me.

Edit: Almost forgot, also look into what mousepad you are using ans will use. They make a bigger difference than you would think even with laser and optical mice. The ratpadz gs is great but wears down if you use it alot. Mine was done after about 6 months. Now I have a corepad something or other. It is made of glass so no wear down! I love it.

goorioles747

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I think the G5 is better. Unless you are left handed and like to use your mouse that way the G5 is more comfortable imo. I like the weights in it as well, because I was used to using a cordless mouse before, so adding the extra weight was a good thing for me. I also think it makes you movement less jerky when you have the sensitivity turned up. But my main reason for prefering the G5 is all the buttons. The setpoint software is good for reprogramming what buttons do what. You don't usually need to change the sensitivity outside of gaming so why not reprgram those buttons to something more helpful like page up and down. I never use sidescrolling so that got reprogrammed too. Now I have delete and enter without ever have to touch my keyboard. You might use them for something else but I love the flexibility. So, unless you are strictly using your computer for gaming and absolutely nothing else the G5 is just a better all around mouse.

And by the way, I too am a "finger mouse man" and the G5 works quite well for me.

Ah, but the Copperhead actually has more buttons, and I am talking about strictly gaming as I already have a G5 and can use that for other stuff if it is really that much better

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I have the G5 my brother has a Razor ( don't know which) but I have tried it and say it's good as well. Don't really see a difference of the two. Either way for you is better.

Jinx13

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006

Ah, but the Copperhead actually has more buttons, and I am talking about strictly gaming as I already have a G5 and can use that for other stuff if it is really that much better

It has one more button, but does the software as good as setpoint? I don't have any experience but even the ones here saying buy Razer said the software and firmware in one case is subpar. Besides the placement of two buttons is awkward to get too at least for me and the way my hand sits on my mouse. 2 buttons on each side is silly. Who actually uses a mouse left handed anyway? I know two left handed gamers and they both use their mice in their right hand. It's a dumb selling point especially since I am going to assume you are right handed or at least mouse right handed, since a) you have a G5 and b) you havent said you are left handed and most people are rightys. And what is the point of have 2 mice??

I have a G5 on my primary PC, and a Razer Copperhead on my laptop.
I prefer the G5, for a couple of reasons.

1. The Setpoint software is really nice, allowing per-program button assignments. The Razer s/w didn't have this (or I couldn't easily find it), although I may not have the latest version. I got mine off Woot for $25 a few weeks ago.

2. I like the tilting scroll wheel on the G5. I've already got fingers right there, so it is quicker and easier than the side thumb buttons on the Razer. Perhaps it just takes more practice, but it is too easy to make additional movements when going for thumb buttons compared to the scroll wheel.

Neither is a bad mouse, and I won't call someone who prefers the Razer an idiot, noob, or fanboi. In the Razer's favor, sensitivity adjustment appeared to be much easier on it than on the G5. The buttons on the latter are awkwardly placed for me. I don't really need this feature though, so I prefer the G5.

goorioles747

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I have a G5 on my primary PC, and a Razer Copperhead on my laptop.
I prefer the G5, for a couple of reasons.

1. The Setpoint software is really nice, allowing per-program button assignments. The Razer s/w didn't have this (or I couldn't easily find it), although I may not have the latest version. I got mine off Woot for $25 a few weeks ago.

2. I like the tilting scroll wheel on the G5. I've already got fingers right there, so it is quicker and easier than the side thumb buttons on the Razer. Perhaps it just takes more practice, but it is too easy to make additional movements when going for thumb buttons compared to the scroll wheel.

Neither is a bad mouse, and I won't call someone who prefers the Razer an idiot, noob, or fanboi. In the Razer's favor, sensitivity adjustment appeared to be much easier on it than on the G5. The buttons on the latter are awkwardly placed for me. I don't really need this feature though, so I prefer the G5.

What about for gaming?

GavinLeigh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Personally I love my Diamondback Razer... the fact it's symetrical and rubbery make it a smooth ride for general work as well as for play.

I am considering getting a second Razer as my wife has stollen mine :cry: