Help needed to Unlock my Dell9200 Bios to OC my CPU !!

leefuji

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Hi there,
I'm new to this and I just got a new Dell 9200 machine with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Cpu .

Unfortunatly on Dell machines you cant mess around with the bios to change any frequnecies or multipliers .. and Im reading all those people OCing there E6600 to 3.2Ghz from 2.4 and I cant do it !!

My questions is : Is there a way to unclock dells MOBO or get rid of their Bios menu to get to the original board bios menu where it will let you actually change parameters regarding the CPU ?!?!?!

And is the SpeedStep gonna help me in a way or other to boost up the cpus freq over 2.4Ghz ?

Thanks

In simple, no. The BIOS that you have is specially coded for your computers parts and specifications. Loading a BIOS from a different computer on to yours to replace (flash) BIOS would render your machine unusable. Dell BIOS are minimalist meaning that they prevent much change to the settings, especially options like VCore, FSB, RAM timings or multiplier settings.
Also Speedstep ramps down your CPU's clockspeed and voltage when you are not using at least 45% of its total capacity.
Sorry bro. You lucked out. Lesson is, don't buy Dell if you want to overclock.
What you can do is save your money to buy a motherboard that will enable you to overclock, and save your processor, maybe your RAM, hard disks, and optical drives to put in a new machine.
Ja ne,
Ninja

leefuji

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Thanks for the info buddy !!!

I just wanted to make sure that nobody has found a way to override their bios !!

now here is kicker though !! its my work computer not my personal so i'm not feeling that bad !! but i'm buying one for sure now :

whats a good MOBO to OC the E6600 up to some nice numbers while remaining system stability !!!

and is it true that some of the E6600 are internaly LOCKED where you can't mess around with their speed or something like that as I read on some different posts before ?!