Switch from IDE to SATA2 without reinstalling XP

bmcleod

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Hi-

I have an Intel DG965MQMKR MB with E6400 chip. I've found limited BIOS instructions one of which consited of: "SATA drives will be automatically configured and do not require any setting changes". However now that I've installed XP it shows that my drive is recognized as IDE (ATA/133), the BIOS also shows "IDE" mode for the Sata controller. So I have a SATAII controller and drive, but IDE speed. I can switch the BIOS settings to RAID, or AHCI but my drive does not have NCQ so AHCI is out. I hoping I can switch it to RAID and get the driver installed without reinstalling XP (I have the drivers on a floppy - and they have a "RAID Ready" mode for one drive).

So I guess my real question is do I have to start over to get SATAII speed or is there another way to get Windows to recognize a new drive configuration?

Thanks,
Bruce

bmcleod

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Just a follow up, I was able to switch the bios to RAID and then "repair" my Media center installation adding the drivers at the start. However Windows recopied virtually everything and screwed up some things that I had configured so I blew it away and started over.

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
If you take 2 identical drives but 1 with an IDE interface & 1 SATA they will run at the same speed.
Although the SATA interface has a higher ceiling it isn't the interface that is the limiting factor on performance but the drive mechanics.