Need help on C2DUO midrange comp build!!

countchocula

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
Okay, so my old computer's comp died out and now I need to buy a new computer motherboard. I already have a monitor and speakers, mouse and keyboard, but what i need is a new mother board and proc, i hear core 2 duo procs are good and I like intel so i need system with a c2duo preferably. the budget should be right around 500-600 dollars, dropping into the 700's if its completely necessary.

are there any mobo's that would support my old agp 6800 gt card, and also be able to play the upcoming pci express cards? I want my computer to be able to be upgraded in the future. is it worth buying a mobo that can support agp and pci express, or should I buy a new pci express card? If so, which one? also what ram would be good with this mobo? which procs?

thanks.

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
I've never heard of any motherboards that can support both AGP and PCIe, but I could be wrong. Yes, core 2 duo processors kick ass. I personally am getting an E6600 for £210 (don't know US pricing), but many people go with an E6400 and overclock it. Good value PCIe card now is a 7900GTO if you prefer Nvidia, or ATI X1950XTX. New direct X 10 compatible cards are just around the corner however, so I would wait for them..... Nvidia ones suposedly making an appearance by the end of this month, with ATIs 1-2 months later (or so I've read). Unsure about motherboard though..... 975X chipset if you can afford, but 965 is also good apparently.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I've never heard of any motherboards that can support both AGP and PCIe, but I could be wrong. Yes, core 2 duo processors kick ass. I personally am getting an E6600 for £210 (don't know US pricing), but many people go with an E6400 and overclock it. Good value PCIe card now is a 7900GTO if you prefer Nvidia, or ATI X1950XTX. New direct X 10 compatible cards are just around the corner however, so I would wait for them..... Nvidia ones suposedly making an appearance by the end of this month, with ATIs 1-2 months later (or so I've read). Unsure about motherboard though..... 975X chipset if you can afford, but 965 is also good apparently.

AsRock makes one for the AMD side that is pretty good. I hear the Intel one is awful.