Selecting RAM for E6600 and P5W DH Deluxe

Nate_AVA

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
I plan on getting an E6600 with the Asus P5W Deluxe motherboard. The mobo supports DDR2 800 but I'm unsure of which type I should purchase or exactly which brand I should go with, considering the Intel E6600. I plan to do some pretty decently high overclocking on the CPU and hopefully the memory as well. I've looked at some Gskill, OCZ, and Geil, but, again, I'm not sure which brand or type to go with. I've also noticed that some of the more pricey ones come in 1000MHz. Would the E6600/P5W DH Deluxe even support that? One more thing, I'd like to get at least 1GB, but 2GB is more perferable. If anyone could recommend some great memory for the E6600 with P5W DH Deluxe, with overclocking in mind and hopefully at a decent price, I'd really appreciate it! Cheers. :)

Nate_AVA

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Thanks rwaritsdario for the recommendation. Is there RAM out there can OC to 550MHz, like overclocking the DDR2 800 RAM to +1000MHz? Or is that exactly what you doing? Pardon my ignorance here.

J

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
I have a E6600 and a P5W DH board and I'm using Corsair TWIN2X2048-5400C4 DDR2-675 @ 5-4-4-15 timings. I am able to run the CPU at 3.4GHz at 1:1 ratio with a zalman 9500 cooler. This is older memory from a previous build I had, there is faster memory now. It seems most people go with 800MHz memory nowadays. I'm very happy my rig. the 800MHz memory is typically over $300. If you shop you can find 667 memory for less than $250.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
I'm running OCZ Gold DDR2-800 at 1:1 with my E6600 at 3.0GHz so 333MHz @ 4-4-4-10 timings (CPU-Z tells me there's also SPD settings for 3-4-4-10). I know a lot of people are getting 3.6GHz out of these chips but mine wouldn't post over 3GHz even with more voltage and RAM ratio at 1:1 with 5-5-5-15 timings. I'm happy with it though.

Not sure if its the motherboard or what as to why it won't boot over 3GHz. I'm running the 1403 BIOS. Maybe changing to the 1405 BIOS will help but I haven't gotten to it yet. Been focusing more on my girlfriend than my computer. 8)

floge03

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
That's the ram I have with the same motherboard and cpu.. works like a charm

OCZ tech support is also amazing..

I would go for it!

J

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
FITCamaro, I too had difficulty OC'ing my E6600 at first the trick for me was my memory timings. Oddly enough, 5-5-5-15 produced much lower clock speeds than 5-4-4-15. I stumbled on these timings when I updated my MB bios and it defaulted the memory timing to these SPD settings. You may try setting your memory to auto or default SPD timings in the bios and try bumping up the MHz from there. Also, experiment with the CPU and Memory dividers to find your OC bottleneck. I was able to get to 3.3GHz on "auto" CPU voltage. 3.4GHz is totally stable at 1.35V (max recommended on the CPU box). The system would boot at 3.6GHz but was not at all stable. I'm sure more volts would fix this but I'm not willing to do this just yet, still too new I guess.

floge03

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Thank You Very Much

I spent about half a year researching the best products for the money, which also met all of my needs. Then once I knew what I wanted, I spent another month or two finding the best deals on the stuff that I wanted.

In the end, it became a working computer, which I am proud of!

Thanks for the complement, first one I have gotten.

Again. Go with the OCZ ram, you will not regret that decision

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
*sigh* I wish all the ppl would build computers like that. A simple post in the Homebuilt Forum, order everythign from newegg, and a week later everythings at their doors. What cooler are you using??

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I'd say Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 would pair up nicely for your set up.

Corsair = SCAM
OCZ = the good stuff :D
Another thing theres to love about OCZ is their EVP (Extended Voltage Protection) wich lets you use up to 2.325v and still be covered by their lifetime warranty.

No, im not being a hater or fanboy... I just speak the truth.

floge03

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
The only mistake I made in putting together my computer, of which I have wasted much time and effort.

I originally used the stock C2D heatsink/fan, but installed it while the motherboard was already mounted in the case. I was getting 46 idle and 52 load which was unacceptable. I then got interested in watercooling. So I spent two weeks researching and bought parts. When putting the sytem into my computer one tube popped off leaking liquid on my motherboard. Although the fluid is non-conductive it inhibits a good connection between parts and the motherboard (ram, video card, and sound card). I tried to remove as much of the liquid as possible, but I could not get it all out :(. While testing to see if I could get the computer up and running again. I put the air cooler back on. At this time I had the motherboard outside of the computer and had to use all of my strength to get the fan to mount properly. I then realized that the reason why I was getting such high temperatures was because the heatsink/fan was not mounted properly. WHAT A WASTE for only 2 degrees in temp difference. Right now I am rmaing the motherboard (thanks ASUS, don't reject it) and I am trying to resell the less than 1 week old watercooling parts.

That is the only thing that went wrong with my build, and it was post build, more of a mod. Now I can say I know about watercooling and know that it is not right for me.

Sorry for the essay!

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006

Corsair = SCAM
Another thing theres to love about OCZ is their EVP (Extended Voltage Protection) wich lets you use up to 2.325v and still be covered by their lifetime warranty.

I can see in your signature, you got ripped off by Corsair. But still it's a good ram manufacturer. :wink:

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006

Corsair = SCAM

I can see in your signature, you got ripped off by Corsair. But still it's a good ram manufacturer. :wink:

Oh no, im just trying to avoid many ppl (mostly the n00bs at the Home built forums) to get ripped off by it. Im currently going for the same Micron D9 chips but from OCZ.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Its basically the same quality as any other DDR2 800 CL4 chipsets. Even that you get a bit less lucky to get amazingly good modules because they have many DDR2 <1000 products so this type gets the lower binned ones. Definetly good quality, Micron D9s are good quality.
But youre paying $50 more for it.

Corsair = good quality (Micron D9s)
Corsair = general compatibily (even that the only boards real picky about RAM are Asus M2N ones)
Corsair = overpriced

Serpent666

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Hi

I have the same motherboard and cpu and use corsair PC5400C4. I have over clocked that to 800 at C4 settings and runs just fine. I did up the ram voltage to 1.95 volts.

Cheers

alpha_channel

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Weell I've just coughed up for Mushkin DDR2 800 (4-4-3-10 timings) for a 6600/P5W DH combo (with the intent of OCing). Seems to be good quality.

Nate_AVA

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
I really appreciate all the help here! It seems that the price of RAM has been going up instead of going down. What is up with that? When could we expect to see the price to eventually drop? Cheers.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What I'm not seeing in this threadinformation that would make it meaningful for the chips used in the various RAM you'll listed. All RAM retailers get their chips from a source, there aren't that many sources. So know exactly what chip OCz, Patriot, CMS, etc. used is the key.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
What I'm not seeing in this threadinformation that would make it meaningful for the chips used in the various RAM you'll listed. All RAM retailers get their chips from a source, there aren't that many sources. So know exactly what chip OCz, Patriot, CMS, etc. used is the key.

For the current market, all DDR2 800 with 4-4-4-xx/3-4-4-xx(different binning) timings are using Micron D9GMH. Wich can do 500(+)Mhz at 5-5-5-xx at 2.2+v.