Help with a new system please

SirJust

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
Hey all,
Just looking for some advice on a new system.

My current system I purchased about 6-1/2 years ago. I have probably spent close to 4K on it and up untill now have had no reason to upgrade. I have a Dell 8100 P4 1.5ghz, 1.4gb rambus rdram, 19" sony and all the other componets. I do a ton of photoshop, website work, and also play games with it. I play America's Army online and with the new 2.7 version it lags a bit now on a few of the maps.

I'm looking to buy a new C2D system and just wondering what I should go with. Looking for top of the line system:

Should I go with the C2D extreme?
~Is 2.9 the fastest cpu they will have in the C2D line?
~or will Intel come out with faster cpu's in the C2D line later on?
i.e will they just skip to the quad core? (on P4 they kept on increasing the cpu speed ever so often)

Also since I have some time should I wait for Vista to come out in Jan07?
~I know it's easier to get the computer already set up with it than trying to upgrade later on. VIsta is req'd for future direct x10?

Only asking becasue I am looking to get a nice system that will last me like my current system has. Can probably go 3-4K on it.

any thoughts

thanks

~I know it's easier to get the computer already set up with it than trying to upgrade later on. VIsta is req'd for future direct x10? Only asking becasue I am looking to get a nice system that will last me like my current system has.
The consumer version of Vista won't be out till the spring. The enterprise/business version will be out earlier. Yes - only Vista will be able to use all DX10 enhancements.

Your budget is more than adequate for a high end system.
Take a look at the Anandtech High-End Buyer's Guide - October 2006
It can give you a range of options in your budget range plus the rationale why those are good options for someone like you. It's a pretty good way to start to get up speed on what you'd like to purchase.
There are both AMD and Intel solutions so you have a both options to consider.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
~I know it's easier to get the computer already set up with it than trying to upgrade later on. VIsta is req'd for future direct x10? Only asking becasue I am looking to get a nice system that will last me like my current system has.
The consumer version of Vista won't be out till the spring. The enterprise/business version will be out earlier. Yes - only Vista will be able to use all DX10 enhancements.

Your budget is more than adequate for a high end system.
Take a look at the Anandtech High-End Buyer's Guide - October 2006
It can give you a range of options in your budget range plus the rationale why those are good options for someone like you. It's a pretty good way to start to get up speed on what you'd like to purchase.
There are both AMD and Intel solutions so you have a both options to consider.

Vista will be released Jan 31, 2007. Unless something changes. Business versions will be out in November.