Control Pannel

Hi,

When I open the Control Pannel and then choose a category (eg. Appearance
and Themes) the application either freezes immediately or opens the next
window and then freezes (the pionter doesn't change to a hand when moving
over the selections and the 'Back' button doesnt come green). All other
programs keep running ok. What's the solution? Thanks

Thanks for the link, loads of fixes indeed....
UNfortunately it didn't fix my problem, must be something else. More
suggestions anyone?

"The Unknown P" wrote:

> Try line 256 first. Then if that doesn't work try line 28 then line 145. Add
> this site to your favourites. It has a lot of excelent free little
> programs\scripts that fix a lot of things that can go wrong with XP.

Control Panel stops responding in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;843551

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:900B9842-BBAE-4A6C-9F5A-413954DCC06B@microsoft.com,
hlowyck <hlowyck@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi,
>
> When I open the Control Pannel and then choose a category (eg.
> Appearance and Themes) the application either freezes immediately or
> opens the next window and then freezes (the pionter doesn't change to
> a hand when moving over the selections and the 'Back' button doesnt
> come green). All other programs keep running ok. What's the solution?
> Thanks

Hi Wes,

I've tried your link before, but when clicking through the links provided on
that page, they keep sending you round in circles (even on the Microsoft
page), without telling you where to get the actual hotfix. It's driving me
mad!! The infamous Conime.exe process isn't running on my laptop.

Anyone?

Thanks

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Control Panel stops responding in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;843551
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:900B9842-BBAE-4A6C-9F5A-413954DCC06B@microsoft.com,
> hlowyck <hlowyck@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hi,
> >
> > When I open the Control Pannel and then choose a category (eg.
> > Appearance and Themes) the application either freezes immediately or
> > opens the next window and then freezes (the pionter doesn't change to
> > a hand when moving over the selections and the 'Back' button doesnt
> > come green). All other programs keep running ok. What's the solution?
> > Thanks

Hi again

Unknown P, your Kellys-Korner site line 256 did the trick after all !!!!
EXCELLENT!
All others out there, turn of your Firewall while executing lin256! D'OH!!!

Cheers,

Henning

PS Wes thanks anyway

"hlowyck" wrote:

> Hi Wes,
>
> I've tried your link before, but when clicking through the links provided on
> that page, they keep sending you round in circles (even on the Microsoft
> page), without telling you where to get the actual hotfix. It's driving me
> mad!! The infamous Conime.exe process isn't running on my laptop.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
> > Control Panel stops responding in Windows XP
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;843551
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> > Wes
> >
> > In news:900B9842-BBAE-4A6C-9F5A-413954DCC06B@microsoft.com,
> > hlowyck <hlowyck@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > When I open the Control Pannel and then choose a category (eg.
> > > Appearance and Themes) the application either freezes immediately or
> > > opens the next window and then freezes (the pionter doesn't change to
> > > a hand when moving over the selections and the 'Back' button doesnt
> > > come green). All other programs keep running ok. What's the solution?
> > > Thanks

No Conime.exe, no free hotfix.

You don't want to have Conime.exe anyway.

[[conime.exe is a process which is registered as the BFGhost 1.0 Remote
administration backdoor tool. This backdoor application can allow attackers
to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. It is a
registered security risk and should be removed immediately.]]
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/conime/

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:EA5C317B-163C-42DA-890F-8EA81BC6D556@microsoft.com,
hlowyck <hlowyck@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi Wes,
>
> I've tried your link before, but when clicking through the links
> provided on that page, they keep sending you round in circles (even
> on the Microsoft page), without telling you where to get the actual
> hotfix. It's driving me mad!! The infamous Conime.exe process isn't
> running on my laptop.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Control Panel stops responding in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;843551
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:900B9842-BBAE-4A6C-9F5A-413954DCC06B@microsoft.com,
>> hlowyck <hlowyck@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> When I open the Control Pannel and then choose a category (eg.
>>> Appearance and Themes) the application either freezes immediately or
>>> opens the next window and then freezes (the pionter doesn't change
>>> to a hand when moving over the selections and the 'Back' button
>>> doesnt come green). All other programs keep running ok. What's the
>>> solution? Thanks

Henning,

I downloaded controlpanelrestrictionrestore.reg with my firewall running.

Are you using XP Pro? controlpanelrestrictionrestore.reg restores a Group
Policy setting.

Open Group Policy...
Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |

Navigate to >>>
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\
Prohibit access to the Control Panel

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:083E27A3-2370-40E3-A927-716B32551A1D@microsoft.com,
hlowyck <hlowyck@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi again
>
> Unknown P, your Kellys-Korner site line 256 did the trick after all
> !!!! EXCELLENT!
> All others out there, turn of your Firewall while executing lin256!
> D'OH!!!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Henning
>
> PS Wes thanks anyway
>
> "hlowyck" wrote:
>
>> Hi Wes,
>>
>> I've tried your link before, but when clicking through the links
>> provided on that page, they keep sending you round in circles (even
>> on the Microsoft page), without telling you where to get the actual
>> hotfix. It's driving me mad!! The infamous Conime.exe process isn't
>> running on my laptop.
>>
>> Anyone?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>>
>>> Control Panel stops responding in Windows XP
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;843551
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>> Wes
>>>
>>> In news:900B9842-BBAE-4A6C-9F5A-413954DCC06B@microsoft.com,
>>> hlowyck <hlowyck@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

I was having the same Problem used line 256 for kellys korner, but you do
have to turn off your firewall

"The Unknown P" wrote:

> Try line 256 first. Then if that doesn't work try line 28 then line 145. Add
> this site to your favourites. It has a lot of excelent free little
> programs\scripts that fix a lot of things that can go wrong with XP.

[Hi,
reading through all the other posts about control Pannel not working, i
tried the kelly things, but don't work, then i read turn of firewall,
but onlyway to turn off firewall is by opening up control pannel. so
catch 22 here.
I have XP, with the SP2 installed since last week. ever since, i can't
open up control pannel.
i click on start, control pannel, and the whole thing just hangs. i do
control alt delete, and if i remove the file drwtsn32.exe, does it free
up everything like normal. but again, no control pannel.
please help.
Josh

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:900B9842-BBAE-4A6C-9F5A-413954DCC06B@microsoft.com,
hlowyck hlowyck@discussions.microsoft.com hunted and pecked:-
Hi,

When I open the Control Pannel and then choose a category (eg.
Appearance and Themes) the application either freezes immediately or
opens the next window and then freezes (the pionter doesn't change to
a hand when moving over the selections and the 'Back' button doesnt
come green). All other programs keep running ok. What's the solution?
Thanks-

--
duif

That is not true. Go to START>All Programs>Accessories>System
Tools>Security Center.

"duif" <duif.1ktdq1@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> [Hi,
> reading through all the other posts about control Pannel not working, i
> tried the kelly things, but don't work, then i read turn of firewall,
> but onlyway to turn off firewall is by opening up control pannel. so
> catch 22 here.
> I have XP, with the SP2 installed since last week. ever since, i can't
> open up control pannel.
> i click on start, control pannel, and the whole thing just hangs. i do
> control alt delete, and if i remove the file drwtsn32.exe, does it free
> up everything like normal. but again, no control pannel.
> please help.
> Josh
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:900B9842-BBAE-4A6C-9F5A-413954DCC06B@microsoft.com,
> hlowyck hlowyck@discussions.microsoft.com hunted and pecked:-
> Hi,
>
> When I open the Control Pannel and then choose a category (eg.
> Appearance and Themes) the application either freezes immediately or
> opens the next window and then freezes (the pionter doesn't change to
> a hand when moving over the selections and the 'Back' button doesnt
> come green). All other programs keep running ok. What's the solution?
> Thanks-
>

> --
> duif

ok, tried that, it worked, gracias merci. so tried Kelly's fixes. did
not work with firewall off either.
any other suggestions, everything else seems to work, like the set
program access and default icon right below it. but when i click on
control pannel everything freezes up. ctr-alt-del, and take our
drwtsn32.exe, and it all unfreezes. but still no control pannel. i can
access it in safe mode, but don't like to have it like that for ever.

Josh

--
duif

Try START>RUN and in the OPEN line type 'sfc /scannow' without quotes and
don't forget the space after sfc.

sfc = system file checker. It will repair corrupted system files.