Network Connection Problem

stealth_blade

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2003
I've been having a strange problem the last 3 week or so. My computer (and only my computer) will randomly drop the network connection. XP comes up saying a cable is disconnected, this quickly disappears and the connection is reaquired, but it is often enough to disrupt any interent based program (Messenger, Games etc).

Equipment:

Asus A8N-e nForce 4 board
D-Link 624 wireless router
I connect to the router via ethernet cable

I replaced the cable thinking it was likely to be faulty, and in fact it appeared this had fixed it. But the very next day it started up again.

I've also switched ports on the router too no affect.

The other thing I did recently, right around the time it started was I put a zalman passive cooler on my northbridge. Feeling it with my fingers it does seem quite warm, but there is a quite a lot of airflow from a 12 cm fan beside it.

Is it possible that an overheating NB could cause my computer to randomly think its unplugged from the network? Or is it more likely that the network port has died/is dieing on my computer and should be replaced with an add in NIC.

Also, does anyone know of a way to check the temp of the North Bridge without using a thermal sensor?

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Not sure if this is any help but my northbridge fan died and this would cause the PC to lock up (freeze) when doing CPU intensive stuff (like playing games).

Taking the side off has solved the problem - I'm planning to buy a Zalman myself.

Try taking the side casing off and this will show you if heat is a problem.

Good luck !

stealth_blade

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2003
Not sure if this is any help but my northbridge fan died and this would cause the PC to lock up (freeze) when doing CPU intensive stuff (like playing games).

Taking the side off has solved the problem - I'm planning to buy a Zalman myself.

Try taking the side casing off and this will show you if heat is a problem.

Good luck !

Yah, I haven't experienced any lockups/freezing even while gaming for a few hours. I'm leaning towards the onbard network port being flaky.

I've run the computer with and without the side panel over the last week, it doesnt seem to make any difference.

I think I'll try putting in a NIC tonight to see if that helps at all.

stealth_blade

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2003
So I put in a PCI NIC, same problem still. So that leaves me with a wonky router, or an overheating NB problem.

Kinda don't think it's the router since no other machine is having this problem.
That and I switched ports on the router to no affect.
Time to pull out a fan for the NB I guess.

Still seems really strange though, I've never heard of NB's getting that hot (except with no cooling). I'm using arctic silver 5, is there anything better for Northbridges?

Anyone else have any thoughts?