VooDooPC endorses Kentsfield...enthusiastically

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Rahul Sood recently got some Kentsfield samples from Intel and is really impressed with them. He reportedly could not overload the system even with multiple instances of Prime95 and DVD burning.

It looks like two Core 2s will be faster than one. Duhhhh!

Linkage!

I think I'm going to die... the end of the world is coming...
Naww, what did we expect, for him to say that it sucked?

2 + 2 = 4
2 x 2 = 4
4 = 4

Its the architecture not the implementation.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Rahul Sood recently got some Kentsfield samples from Intel and is really impressed with them. He reportedly could not overload the system even with multiple instances of Prime95 and DVD burning.

Linkage!

See if you hadn't said DUHHH this thread might not have got you flamed.

Again, no offence. :wink:

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Linkage!

I thought we could all take a joke. That one was for all the folks who keep saying I doubted Kentsfield.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

Linkage!

I thought we could all take a joke. That one was for all the folks who keep saying I doubted Kentsfield.

Thats one thing i agree on with you. People think if you support AMD or think AMD processors are viable solutions that you also think intel stuff suck because they are evil. :roll:

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
"It looks like two Core 2s will be faster than one. Duhhhh!"

What will be your response to 4x4? 2 FXs better than 1? Yay? :lol: And I thought you saw the light. There's always next time :wink:

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006

Linkage!

Thats one thing i agree on with you. People think if you support AMD or think AMD processors are viable solutions that you also think intel stuff suck because they are evil. :roll:

Intel are evil. Just look at Prescott; they were trying to mass murder people by making a chip so hot that it explodes into flames.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I want to know if the $ you spend on kentsfield (~$1200 or more, so I hear) would be better spent on a DX10 video card instead? And also how many people run multiple DVD burns?

Multiple DVD burns aren't as bad as multiple video encoding. Burns can rely on the drive's cache system (if the drive has one).

As for $$ for Kentsfield...well, there will be a few that will fork over for them, I can be sure of that. Same with 4X4. They are the "never out of cash" enthusiast, who just has to have the top-o-the-line stuff. So, this person will have the Kentsfield, drive the price of DDR2/3 1100 RAM up, and buy 4 DX10 cards, only cause "he can".

Also, I didn't take offense to BM's "duhhhhh", but the thing that really caught my attention about the article was this little tidbit:

"Not only does this machine run cooler than the AMD Athlon FX or Core 2 Duo Extreme, but it seems to run more applications at one time without breaking a sweat."

If the Kentsfield does run cooler than either, that must say something about the power consumption of this quad core.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

Linkage!

Intel are evil. Just look at Prescott; they were trying to mass murder people by making a chip so hot that it explodes into flames.

True, but thats just bad business practices, or maybe good in a way. They had to stick with netburst until they could afford to scrap it.

LOL, they should have to pay everyone's air conditioning bills. :wink:

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Linkage!
I guess you aren't going to idolize Rahul Sood anymore, huh? He was impressd with Kentsfield, so now he's a traitor.

There is clearly something amazing about this processor - it easily takes place as my most wanted CPU for 2006.

I would say based on the performance of the platforms we tested that it shouldn’t really matter about the architectural advantages or disadvantages – the proof is in the benchmarks.

Jeez, Baron, and you say benchmarks don't matter. Who's right...You, or Rahul?

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I want to know if the $ you spend on kentsfield (~$1200 or more, so I hear) would be better spent on a DX10 video card instead? And also how many people run multiple DVD burns?

This may surprise you but intel don't design their entire cpu range around gamers. Kentsfield, imo, is not a gaming cpu. Gamers will want it yes, but they buy anything that is marketed as FAST and never question whether they need it.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Linkage!
I guess you aren't going to idolize Rahul Sood anymore, huh? He was impressd with Kentsfield, so now he's a traitor.

There is clearly something amazing about this processor - it easily takes place as my most wanted CPU for 2006.

I would say based on the performance of the platforms we tested that it shouldn’t really matter about the architectural advantages or disadvantages – the proof is in the benchmarks.

mban687l.jpg

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Linkage!

mban687l.jpg

Here's a reply to the original from everyone's favorite poster, Sharikou, Ph. D:

Intel execs lacks the basic IQ. Pat Gelsinger made himself a total retard by typing "I hate AMD" on screen. It's despicable behaviour.

As I pointed out, Conroe fatally wounded Intel and Kentsfield will finish the job. AMD can sell a few hundred K8L now, but it doesn't do it. Why? Because AMD is smart . The few hundred K8Ls will make all other processors worth little. That's what Intel is doing here. With Conroe, AMD basically takes the mainstream market, 95% of Intel's processors are total junk because of Conroe. Now, with Kentsfield, Conroe will be reduced to a $150 chip and Pentium D will be sold at $65, and Athlon X2 will take the sweet spot.

The high end market is tiny. AMD only makes 10000 FX CPUs per quarter. The money is in the middle, and DELL is selling millions of X2 CPUs. I noticed that Alienware is hyping the 4x4 right now. Expect DELL to go 100% AMD by the end of 2008.

AMD is having a major capacity problem right now, once FAB36 finishes ramp by the end of year. Intel will be half dead.

It's good to know that universal constants exists.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Is it legal to write such bull? There has got to be a law against this somewhere...

No, because if he truly does believe what he writes then to him it's true.. therefore he's not consciously lying.

You need to prove that someone is consciously and knowingly lying in order to have a case against them. This information comes from a case that was to be brought up against Bill O'Reilly (Fox News liar) but no one could prove he was knowingly lying (although many can prove his attempts at re-writting history).

Is it legal to write such bull? There has got to be a law against this somewhere...

Freedom of speech is protected by the US Constitution. However, if it is defamatory then legal action can be pursued. I consider his posts to be libel which is the published form of defamation. It's up to Intel to decide if this insect is worth the trouble.

There is a grey area between an opinion and a defamatory comment.

I tried posting a reply to him once, to try to get him to see that if Intel went bankrupt, the CPU market would be in a bad state and that his arguments that Conroe and Kentsfield kills Intel was ludicrous at best.
You can imagine the flaming that I got from him and his flunkies, calling me a chav, an Intel drone and someone who wouldn't last 2 minutes in the real world among other unmentionables.
I'm not going back there again.

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I have no respect for Rahul Sood.

I met him years ago in Calgary at an IT tradeshow before Voodoo was big.

All he did was stand there and trash Intel in front of corporate suits, IT staff and sales reps. They were giving t-shirts out to those who knew AMDs T-Bird specs.

This made no sense as much of the trade show was servers and other corporate products such as plasma displays and plotters. I know Voodoo doesn't play in that market, but you still don't have to make an ass out of yourself like you're are a zealot.

A few attendees were brave enough to counter with some of Intel's current advancements, but were quickly insulted and embarrassed.

Hell I was embarrased just standing there in silence.

Any good salesperson knows you don't fight with loyal customers and tell them they are wrong. You objectively make your case and in the end sell them what they decide.

Do you feed your dog what you want to eat or what he does?

Good for him for standing up for what he believed in, but personally I think he is an ass and I could care less about what he says now.

Of course, with C2D out, hope he likes his humble pie......