danny9894

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
I am getting a SATA 500GB Seagate HDD and I hear it runs very hot. I was recommended this masscool hard drive cooler and I was wondering where this fits on to. I was thinking maybe on the back of the hard drive chassis or is it meant for being directly on top of a drive.

If you have good case air flow, you don't need a HDD cooler, unless you're building a server, a regular desktop PC even a really desent gaming rig doesn't need to cool the HDD.

I've built many many machines for friends and family and a HDD cooler hasn't been installed on the first one of them, and they've been running for years, save your money you don't need it.

I would suggest investing in some nylon wire ties and spending some time routing your wiring in that case better, to clear your normal airflow path and pull some of the wires towards the sides of the case and out of the middle.

You still don't need a HDD cooler.

sturm

Splendid
Put an 80mm fan in front of the drives and you should be ok. Put the 500gig in direct line of airflow.
If you want to mod the fan opening some, I would cut out the grill for the fan. Helps for better airflow. Dremel tool or good set of snips will work. You also might look at modding it to a 120mm opening. Better airflow with less noise.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Like them said, arranged them wires and tuck it to the sides to improve airflow. I see you have a vent and screw holes for a fan to go. Find a good fan and install it, it should provide cool air to your hds and cool it down.