Cingular National Plan - What Happens when Off Network??

Last response: in Network Providers
November 19, 2004 7:31:32 PM

I have AT&T but am thinking of switching to a Cingular National GSM Plan.
Questions:

o The phone will work on both AT&T and Cingular Towers?

o If it can't get an AT&T or Cingular tower, does it work at all on other
carriers towers?

o It is does work on other carriers towers, is there a roaming fee?

Thanks.
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 1:10:11 AM

Gary Warner wrote:
> I have AT&T but am thinking of switching to a Cingular National GSM Plan.
> Questions:
>
> o The phone will work on both AT&T and Cingular Towers?

Yes, In fact before long all At&t towers(that are not sold) will be
Cingular Towers. Currently there is one problem. If your on an call and
attached to an At&t tower, it will only hand off to another at&t tower.
The same is true with Cingular towers. Once they are on part of the same
network, this will not be a problem. The good news is if your not on a
call, it will switch if needed.

> o If it can't get an AT&T or Cingular tower, does it work at all on other
> carriers towers?

Yes, but with Cingular there is one slight disadvantage, on at&t phone
you could pull up a list of providers you were in range of and attempt
to manualy connect to it. Cingular however, locks this menu out. This
mean you the user can't manually select it and you have to rely on the
phone to do it automatically.

> o It is does work on other carriers towers, is there a roaming fee?

Yes, no roaming fee in the US, but be careful when your really close to
the Mexico or Canadian border. With a Cingular sim card all you see is
"Cingular Extend", and there is a chance you may lock on to a tower on
the other side of the border. These towers are NOT roaming free. I know
one person who can charged massive amounts of international roaming even
though he never left the US
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 1:10:12 AM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 22:10:11 GMT, "R.M" <usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote:

>Yes, no roaming fee in the US, but be careful when your really close to
>the Mexico or Canadian border. With a Cingular sim card all you see is
>"Cingular Extend", and there is a chance you may lock on to a tower on
>the other side of the border. These towers are NOT roaming free. I know
>one person who can charged massive amounts of international roaming even
>though he never left the US

How true,

I was traveling Eastbound on I-8 from San Diego, CA, to the Arizona border.
We made a stop in Jacumba, CA, 80 miles East of San Diego - to get fuel and
snacks. We attempted to make a few calls. A message came back in Spanish.
We didn't understand what the message said. My phone display just said
"Cingular".

When I got my bill I had 4 international calls at $2.99 per minute.

After complaining to customer service, they reversed the calls and suggested
I be careful when traveling near the Mexican border. The customer service
agent said my phone should have displayed I was on the Mexican network. I
know it said "Cingular" because I looked at it when I heard the recorded
message in Spanish.

Go figure.

Just be careful as the other poster said.

~jack_

November 20, 2004 1:23:50 AM

In article <307726F2piufsU1@uni-berlin.de>,
"Gary Warner" <jabadoodle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have AT&T but am thinking of switching to a Cingular National GSM Plan.
> Questions:
>
> o The phone will work on both AT&T and Cingular Towers?
>
> o If it can't get an AT&T or Cingular tower, does it work at all on other
> carriers towers?
>
> o It is does work on other carriers towers, is there a roaming fee?
>

> Thanks.

Generally it will roam for free on another GSM carrier, most frequently
T-Mobile. If you're in the boonies and there is no GSM signal at all,
then then you have a lifeless cell phone, but FREE.
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 1:42:40 AM

R.M wrote:

>> o If it can't get an AT&T or Cingular tower, does it work at all on
>> other carriers towers?
>

> Yes, but with Cingular there is one slight disadvantage, on at&t phone
> you could pull up a list of providers you were in range of and attempt
> to manualy connect to it. Cingular however, locks this menu out. This
> mean you the user can't manually select it and you have to rely on the
> phone to do it automatically.

Slight Correction, your phone will only work on other GSM towers, and
then only ones that Cinguler has roaming agreements with. So no it
doesn't work on "ALL" Carriers towers.
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 2:40:40 AM

In <419E6F87.5050809@usenetjunk.com> on Fri, 19 Nov 2004 22:10:11 GMT, "R.M"
<usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote:

>Gary Warner wrote:
>> I have AT&T but am thinking of switching to a Cingular National GSM Plan.
>> Questions:
>>
>> o The phone will work on both AT&T and Cingular Towers?
>
>Yes, In fact before long all At&t towers(that are not sold) will be
>Cingular Towers. Currently there is one problem. If your on an call and
>attached to an At&t tower, it will only hand off to another at&t tower.
>The same is true with Cingular towers. Once they are on part of the same
>network, this will not be a problem. The good news is if your not on a
>call, it will switch if needed.

It will only switch when you can't get a usable signal on your Home network,
even when the other network has a much better signal.

November 20, 2004 6:55:27 AM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 22:23:50 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>Generally it will roam for free on another GSM carrier, most frequently
>T-Mobile.

Depending on where you are, T-Mobile may be the Cingular "native"
towers. That's the situation in the NY Metro market.
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 7:44:51 AM

In article <jvftp0lpkqtkn84b229pd7hmvis3dk1en9@4ax.com>,
Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 22:23:50 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
> said in alt.cellular.cingular:
>
> >Generally it will roam for free on another GSM carrier, most frequently
> >T-Mobile.
>
> Depending on where you are, T-Mobile may be the Cingular "native"
> towers. That's the situation in the NY Metro market.

Last July it said Cingular Extended on my v400
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 6:08:07 AM

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 04:44:51 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>In article <jvftp0lpkqtkn84b229pd7hmvis3dk1en9@4ax.com>,
> Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 22:23:50 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
>> said in alt.cellular.cingular:
>>
>> >Generally it will roam for free on another GSM carrier, most frequently
>> >T-Mobile.
>>
>> Depending on where you are, T-Mobile may be the Cingular "native"
>> towers. That's the situation in the NY Metro market.
>
>Last July it said Cingular Extended on my v400

Cingular leases the use of T-Mobile in the NYC market, so those are
their "native" towers. The AT&T towers will also be their native
towers as soon as the switchover is complete (if it ever is).
!