Accessing home PC via modem, for internet access

Buckshot041

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2002
I recently had cable broadband installed at home. I have a D-Link604 router for internet access. I still have my modem installed (from my dialup days).

At work, I have no broadband capabilities, but I have my laptop with a modem.

Is it possible, from my desk at work, to dial my home PC, hit the modem, and then hit the internet? I figure something like PCAnywhere, but it is too sluggish. Does anyone know of a good secure way of accomplishing this. I do need daily access, but I cant afford the monthly ISP fee for dialup. I thought of using software, but not sure what. I also thought of buying a small RAS on ebay, but not sure it would work. Any ideas of what I could do? Thanks

Buckshot041

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2002
hubbardt, appreciate the link.. but in my haste, I did not specify that I have XP Home as the PC I would need to VPN in to. I've been searching the net and cant find anything about setting up XP Home as the host.

I've seen a bunch of RAS servers on ebay, but most look .. dated.

Thanks

Buckshot041

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2002
Ned, local call here. I call my PC, bingo! As for dial up speed.. I just upgraded to cable here last month. It was never available until then. Even under dial up circumstances, I need the ability to get to the net for information periodically.

TRENDING THREADS