How to connect Sound Card to TV?

STUBBY

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
I am currently using onboard Realtek Sound, with all the usual connection ports(including mic and S/PDIF). I have an old 10-year-old Mitsubishi TV that I want to connect my onboard sound to(Well this is because I connected my graphics card to the TV for dual display, and I want the sound for my movies to stream through the TV speakers as well)

Anyone can help? Or any online tutorial detailing how to do this? I emailed Mitsubishi about this but they haven't replied yet. I read somewhere that the S/PDIF port on the Realtek audio connects through RCA cable to the TV, but I can't find the correct place to plug it into.

Thanks!

Usually the green or lime green soundcard output is what you want to use that will require a 1/8" stereo splitter/ male to 2 female.

That will split the signal so you can either use the computer speakers or the TV speakers, now that should resolve your first problem.

The next problem is what connections on a ten year old TV is there, if you have the Right/Left RCA audio input then you should only need a 1/8" male stereo plug to right/left RCA Female adapter and a patch cord to connect to the TV from the computer.

Well this is because I connected my graphics card to the TV for dual display, and I want the sound for my movies to stream through the TV speakers as well

OK if you have RCA Video input, then you also should have the stereo Right / Left RCA input and can hook up as I told you, but if you're using a coaxial adapter to input the video signal into the coaxial TV input, you'll need a special adapter that you can find at places like Best Buy or Circuit City and sometimes Walmart. that will allow any type TV to connect to any source.

It really all depends on what input connections are on your TV?

STUBBY

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Usually the green or lime green soundcard output is what you want to use that will require a 1/8" stereo splitter/ male to 2 female.

That will split the signal so you can either use the computer speakers or the TV speakers, now that should resolve your first problem.

The next problem is what connections on a ten year old TV is there, if you have the Right/Left RCA audio input then you should only need a 1/8" male stereo plug to right/left RCA Female adapter and a patch cord to connect to the TV from the computer.

Well this is because I connected my graphics card to the TV for dual display, and I want the sound for my movies to stream through the TV speakers as well

OK if you have RCA Video input, then you also should have the stereo Right / Left RCA input and can hook up as I told you, but if you're using a coaxial adapter to input the video signal into the coaxial TV input, you'll need a special adapter that you can find at places like Best Buy or Circuit City and sometimes Walmart. that will allow any type TV to connect to any source.

It really all depends on what input connections are on your TV?

I have the RCA right/left audio input as you said.
My graphics card is connected to the TV by S-Video cable to S-Video cable.

So I need to connect the stereo plug from the green stereo output(on the sound card) to the cord? Is this correct:

COMPUTER(Green Stereo Plug)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------TV(R/L Audio Output to Stereo Plug adaptor)

Which means I will need 1) The adaptor, 2) the cord with both ends stereo plugs?

Just confirming.

That sounds about right with an S VIdeo setup.

Existing Computer Soundcard is 1/8" Green Stereo Female Jack that Receives<

a <1/8"stereo male adapter to two 1/8" stereo females <

one 1/8" stereo female goes to the existing computer speakers

The other 1/8" stereo female connects to another adapter that is a 1/8" male stereo to 2 RCA females

Then patch cord the computer Female RCAs to the TVs female RCAs with a normal stereo male to male RCA patch cord whatever length you need.

And you'll be in business and still be able to use your regular computer speakers when you just want to use the computer by itself.