Sign in with
Your question

Got my 945 to 4011 Mhz

Last response: in Overclocking
October 10, 2006 3:54:40 AM

Hey all got my new 945 to 4011 MHz with no sweat. I thought I'd have a little trouble but I had none.

I have an MSi 965 PL Neo mobo and my temps are running 39 C after running 1 instance of prime for a half hour and 2 virus scans.

I don't think I'll go further and I may not even use this as I'm happy with the stock speed of the 945 but the processor runs cool and the chip overclocks easy.

I have 2 gig of PNY PC4300 memory. I probably couldn't go much further anyway becuase of the 533 memory.

Anyway I'm pretty happy.

More about : 945 4011 mhz

October 10, 2006 4:45:25 AM

Well we're pretty much the same, I have the 840 and DDR533 and I have only broken 4Ghz. It's not the ram but the cooling. I have water cooling but heat is not the limit. I'm planning to go peltier cooling by making my own block with my existing loop. Right now I have set it to 1:1 with 900 bus and 450 ram. Your 945 is 3.4Ghz to start with and you should be able to do more. What's your settings on the 4.011Ghz anyways? What's the rest of your setup? I don't know about PNY but it might the one limiting your cpu to 4Ghz, like I said you should be able to do more with your water cooled cpu.
October 10, 2006 5:36:21 AM

Quote:
Well we're pretty much the same, I have the 840 and DDR533 and I have only broken 4Ghz. It's not the ram but the cooling. I have water cooling but heat is not the limit. I'm planning to go peltier cooling by making my own block with my existing loop. Right now I have set it to 1:1 with 900 bus and 450 ram. Your 945 is 3.4Ghz to start with and you should be able to do more. What's your settings on the 4.011Ghz anyways? What's the rest of your setup? I don't know about PNY but it might the one limiting your cpu to 4Ghz, like I said you should be able to do more with your water cooled cpu.

Hello

This is not related to the original thread. I have pd830 and it seems like i can not go beyond 3.7 with air cooling. I have cooling issue. The chip rans hot at that frequency and i can not curb the heat with air cooling. I wonder how high is your cpu under load , for example .. prime test. I have a lot of room to overclock my ram but the cpu can not keep up with it. . I am now at 3.7 ghz and it has no stablity issue. do you think i can get higher clock frequency with air cooling. Or i reach the limit.

Bye.
Related resources
October 10, 2006 8:42:44 AM

Quote:
Hey all got my new 945 to 4011 MHz with no sweat. I thought I'd have a little trouble but I had none.

I have an MSi 965 PL Neo mobo and my temps are running 39 C after running 1 instance of prime for a half hour and 2 virus scans.

I don't think I'll go further and I may not even use this as I'm happy with the stock speed of the 945 but the processor runs cool and the chip overclocks easy.

I have 2 gig of PNY PC4300 memory. I probably couldn't go much further anyway becuase of the 533 memory.

Anyway I'm pretty happy.
What cooling are you using, and what voltage, if you'd be so kind? :) 
October 10, 2006 9:23:03 PM

With air cooling you can only go so much before your cpu will overheat and starts to have random instability. Water cooling able the cpu to be pushed more beyond air cooling, while maintaining safe temps but also have it's limits. I have reach the limits on my cpu on water cooling with is 4Ghz and anything beyond it cause reboots and freeze ups. I have read some overclokcing reviews with my 840 and same with mine and hitting limits at 4Ghz on water. As for your 830 @ 3.7Ghz is a very good overclock for it on air cooling and probably want to stay for it. You may be able to go 3.9 on water but then it will cost you $200 for a water cooling system. As for me I got a $300 custom water cooling kit for overclocking and staying a low temps at the same time low noise on my system. The highest I've got with my 840 is 4Ghz as it's limit on 1.50vcore with 35c ilde and 40c full load. Now I set it to 3.6Ghz or 900FSB and my rams to 450 for a 1:1 ratio.
October 11, 2006 1:34:07 AM

Hey guys:

Well, I have the mid line MSI board which has limited OC features. For instance, there is no CPU voltage control.\\

So all I did was raise the FSB from 200 to 236. The VCore remained stable on this board. So I'd guess the memory is at 629 MHz. I have a 3:4 FSB/Mem ratio. I can't reset that ratio but I can change the timings.

I could probable get to 667 MHz on the memory. Which would be a 250 MHz FSB.. This mobo got good reviews under overclockers reviews becuase it was stable to 333 MHz FSB. It seems very stable running Prime and various virius scans and the max tem was 39 C.

The 945 is 65nm so it runs cooler than the 800 series. I didn't even disable the spread spectrum to get this reading.

Anyway, I'd guess 4250 Mhz will be my limit with this setup.

Any thoughts?
October 11, 2006 2:01:50 AM

oh yea well i overclocked my P3 from 933mhz to 1.1 Ghz my rig is on fire
October 23, 2006 9:01:05 AM

I'm a new member on this forum, so i would like first to say hi to everyone :) 
Now, if i registered on this forum, it's because i have some issues in overclocking my computer. i must say this is the first time i try this :oops:  ....and after to have read a lot on the web about overclocking, i got confident in doing this, but i got some issues without really any idea what happened.
i have also a MSI mobo (MSI 945 PL Neo), with a intel Pentium D 930 DualCore en een MSI RX1600 Pro VGA (see signature under the message for other details).
Now...i tried yesterday to start an overclock on my computer...in BIOS, i first raised the FSB frequency from 200 to 205Mhz without doing anything else yet ( DRAM frequency still set on [Auto] ), and when i started my windows again...my CPU clock was 600 Mhz instead to be (205x15 = 3075Mhz). I don't know why, i set my FSB in BIOS to 205 Mhz, but in windows....i used Everest to see the raise, and there my FSB is set to 40Mhz with multiplier 15 is 600Mhz :( 
I didn't know what happened so i tried to overclock again...setting my FSB to 210Mhz, DRAM frequency set to 400Mhz (for going more far in the FSB raise) and DDR en NB voltage raised with 0,2V but after that, my computer didn't start at all and i had to clear the CMOS.
The question is...do i do something wrong? did i forget to change something or is there anything in my computer that could be a bottleneck in my overclock? I had a friend who told me MSI mobo was not great for overclocking but what i read here is that you manage to raise the FSB pretty well on this kind of mobo (i know you have a 965...i have a 945PL Neo which should be about the same), and i think my D930 should be able to be overclocked too! is there anything locked in the BIOS that makes the overclock impossible?
Does anyone have an idea why my FSB change in 40Mhz and not 205? I find it really strange.
Thanks for all comments.
Greetings from Holland.
Arnaud
October 23, 2006 1:46:17 PM

I have the 945 PL Neo F also teamed with an Pentium D 805 and I was able to get to 3400 MHz stable in every way but not beyond that.

Did you disable spread spectrum in the bios? You have to do that.

Try it again after you disable the spread spectrum. Don't mess with the NB voltage and set the memory to 533 Mhz. Only change the spread spectrum, Mem to 533, and then up the FSB.

BTW: It's cool, to talk with someone from Holland. Have a great day and let me know how it goes.

Mike
October 23, 2006 2:03:42 PM

hi :) 
Thanks for replying.
Well...yep...living in holland, but in fact coming from France hehe!! married to a chinese, and talking with guys on a forum in the states...right ?? Cool how the world became more little with technologies and modern transportation.
Anyway...back to this topic!! i will see tonight at home if spread spectrum is disabled...but i think it was...i'm not sure.
What does the "spread spectrum"do?
If other people have ideas why a FSB in my windows can become 40Mhz after clocking my FSB in BIOS at 205...then i would be happy!'my plan was not to underclock my CPU :p  :wink:
I will try to do what you are telling me...and one detail about the DRAM frequency...i had it on [Auto] when i tried my first overclocking from 200 to FSB205. Because it didn't work i tried a stronger overclocking, FSB210, but i understood the MEM frequency had to be lower (400Mhz), if i wanted to overclock more far, because the speed of memory can't be too high because of the FSB. That's why i tried to set the DRAM frequency to 400Mhz for this stronger overclock.
October 23, 2006 3:00:25 PM

Glad you got out of France - no just kidding. I hate Politics.

Anyway, spread spectrum is usually enabled and you have to disable it, so if you don't remember doing it - its probably enabled.

Also, I'm not familiar with your memory and its timings. But, let's say its 4-4-4-12. You should be able to overclock to close to 667 Mhz with just a voltage increase on the ram. Do you know how to calculate the ram overclock frequency? Run CPU-Z to get your FSB/Dram ratio.

You would want to change the timings to 5-5-5-15 before going with 400 MHz on the ram.

But, again I'm not an expert - I'm only giving you my experience on the 945 board which I played with extensively.
October 23, 2006 4:13:50 PM

hi...well about the memory timing...no, to be honnest i didn't read too much about this and how it works. I will try to read more about this because i don't understand this yet. Last time i tried to find out on the net what were the values of my memory, but i couldn't find anything on the web. Is there any software that can give the values (Everest may be ??) or is it somewhere in the BIOS?
Well, as i said, i don't know yet what changing the timing of my Memory does...i only know that my memory is not too good.
For the rest, even i don't change the CPU/MEM ratio...i only raised my FSB with only 5 Mhz than the normal stock value and let the MEM frequency at [Auto] but it already seems to give me issues. so i don't know why my CPU clock was so low when starting my windows (600Mhz instead of 3075 :roll: ).
October 23, 2006 7:09:13 PM

Do a search for CPU-Z and download it. I use it all the time.

As for the memory, I can't find a lot about it either.

Let me know.......
October 23, 2006 9:40:58 PM

hi Mike,
Well, with Everest (i already had this software on my PC) , i could see the timing of my Memory.
It is 4.4.4.12
I tried tonight to set my FSB at 205 (stock is 200), MEM frequency to 533, but i got again a very low clock in windows...again that strange 600Mhz (i guess Mathematics have been rewritten again and FSB200xmultiplier 15 = 600 :roll: :cry:  )
I tried it too with the "spread spectrum" set to "disabled" and i got a PC that didn't want to start again....i had to clear the CMOS :( 
Then i tried the dynamic overclocking....and let the computer do the work for the overclock...but there again, i got a blue screen and computer that shut down :( 
Well....i guess there is something in my PC that is not good for an overclcok, and is the bottleneck of my system.
I guess i will have to give up and inform myself better next time before buying something, about i can overclock it or not.
I guess this is it! Thanks Mike for your time and helpful advise...i didn't manage to overclock my PC but i learned a little more.
Wish you a nice time there in Ohio :wink:
Take care.
Arnaud
!