Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

XP firewall or Zone Alarm?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 9:53:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

What the opinion on XP's Firewall?

Is it any good? or should I stick with Zone Alarm, which is causing me
problems with AVG Antivirus when receiving emails.

t'ra

More about : firewall zone alarm

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 9:53:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:53:19 -0000, "RT" <noreply.co.uk> wrote:

>What the opinion on XP's Firewall?
>
>Is it any good? or should I stick with Zone Alarm, which is causing me
>problems with AVG Antivirus when receiving emails.
>
>t'ra
>
XP firewall is lame, stick with Zonealarm.

I use Zonaalrm with Outlook express and it works fine.



----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
January 31, 2005 9:53:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:53:19 -0000, RT wrote:

> What the opinion on XP's Firewall?
>
> Is it any good? or should I stick with Zone Alarm, which is causing me
> problems with AVG Antivirus when receiving emails.
>
> t'ra

From my experience ZA went down the toilet, I don't run XP, but any router
if you already have one to connect to the net can work as a Firewall any
additional software can't hurt your security, IMO Norton Internet Security
does the trick, to see more comments on ZA read reviews at epinions.com and
look up ZA. HTH


--
"..........most folks are about as happy as they make up to their minds to
be...." A. Lincoln
Related resources
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 10:55:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:53:19 -0000, RT wrote:

> What the opinion on XP's Firewall?
>
> Is it any good? or should I stick with Zone Alarm, which is causing me
> problems with AVG Antivirus when receiving emails.

You should dump ZA, not use XP's ICF and install Sygate or Kerio
Personal Firewall (although I don't think they'll work on your
PPC...).

--
HP iPAQ h2210 | HP Leather Belt Case | Kingston CF 1 GiB | SanDisk CF 256 MiB | D-Link DBT-120
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:45:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:02:39 -0500, Me <spamsome1@else.net> wrote:

>From my experience ZA went down the toilet, I don't run XP, but any router
>if you already have one to connect to the net can work as a Firewall any
>additional software can't hurt your security, IMO Norton Internet Security
>does the trick, to see more comments on ZA read reviews at epinions.com and
>look up ZA. HTH
It should be noted not every router has firewall built in. (Mine does
not). I run Zonealarm flawlessly, have no problems at all.


----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
February 1, 2005 8:58:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 16:45:49 -0500, Amy Gray wrote:

> It should be noted not every router has firewall built in. (Mine does
> not).
My bad, it should be noted...

> I run Zonealarm flawlessly, have no problems at all.

The version that I had problems with where from 4.5 to 5.0 if you have does
versions, more power to you and I hope they stay stable...

--
"..........most folks are about as happy as they make up to their minds to
be...." A. Lincoln
February 1, 2005 9:25:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 17:58:05 -0500, Me wrote:


> The version that I had problems with **were** from 4.5 to 5.0 if you have **those
> versions without problems**, more power to you and I hope they stay stable...

I would help if I write with more hours of sleep, sorry about the nasty
typos!

--
"..........most folks are about as happy as they make up to their minds to
be...." A. Lincoln
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 10:16:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

ZoneAlarm all the way.


"RT" <noreply.co.uk> wrote in message news:41fe7e90.0@entanet...
> What the opinion on XP's Firewall?
>
> Is it any good? or should I stick with Zone Alarm, which is causing me
> problems with AVG Antivirus when receiving emails.
>
> t'ra
>
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 4:33:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 17:58:05 -0500, Me <spamsome1@else.net> wrote:

>The version that I had problems with where from 4.5 to 5.0 if you have does
>versions, more power to you and I hope they stay stable...
I have version 4.5.538.000



----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
February 2, 2005 9:49:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 01:33:51 -0500, Amy Gray wrote:

> I have version 4.5.538.000

I believe the versions after this one started to go kookoo...

--
"..........most folks are about as happy as they make up to their minds to
be...." A. Lincoln
February 3, 2005 12:00:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 18:49:00 -0500, Me <spamsome1@else.net> removed the
duct tape and proclaimed:

>On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 01:33:51 -0500, Amy Gray wrote:
>
>> I have version 4.5.538.000
>
>I believe the versions after this one started to go kookoo...

Never had an issue with ZA.

--
There are only two valid activities in this world:
personally attending to the injured and hungry,
and picking fights in newsgroups.
- Lore Sjöberg
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 9:39:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:00:25 -0500, Bruno wrote:

> >I believe the versions after this one started to go kookoo...

> Never had an issue with ZA.

You probably used an old version of Free ZA when ZoneLabs decided to
mess up yEnc? (No worries, they fixed it ... two versions or so
later.)

Free ZA also gave me problems when working with a router. I kept
loosing my connection and couldn't access the router. First time I
changed a setting and that seemed to work. Then I broke the 'ain't
broken don't fix' rule and decided to install 5.5.062.004. Same old
story: loss of connection even though settings were the same. I
uninstalled Free ZA (and 'manually' cleaned up all the junk it left
behind after 'uninstall') and installed Sygate Personal Firewall.
Suddenly no more problems and the router now has an uptime around 20
days. (Beats 1 day or less...)

After the yEnc disaster ZA was called 'the AOL of firewalls' in
news.software.readers. I couldn't think of a better name for it...

--
HP iPAQ h2210 | HP Leather Belt Case | Kingston CF 1 GiB | SanDisk CF 256 MiB | D-Link DBT-120
February 3, 2005 9:39:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:39:40 GMT, s|b wrote:

> After the yEnc disaster ZA was called 'the AOL of firewalls' in
> news.software.readers. I couldn't think of a better name for it...

Zone that Alarms Anyone....maybe? ;) 

--
"..........most folks are about as happy as they make up to their minds to
be...." A. Lincoln
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 1:54:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:53:19 -0000, "RT" <noreply.co.uk> wrote:

>What the opinion on XP's Firewall?
>
>Is it any good? or should I stick with Zone Alarm, which is causing me
>problems with AVG Antivirus when receiving emails.
>
>t'ra
>

I've actually gone back to the XP firewall. I used to have Zonealarm
(free) on all machines I look after, plus Zonealarm Pro on my main
desktop. The desktop acts as the internet gateway to a pair of other
pooters. I need file & print sharing over the network.

Zonealarm got ditched from the desktop because of the fatal resource
leak problems it had with v4.5. Those problems didn't get fixed in v5,
they probably got worse ! So it got pulled from the machine. I tried
replacing it with Sygate but that was a miserable failure because
Sygate disabled the file & print sharing. Possibly me missing
something but it failed the 'advanced user can't fix it in 30 minutes'
test. Could have been because I was using the demo, refusing to buy it
until I knew it could do the business. I might be a victim of
crippleware there ...

Zonealarm free has also been put on 3 other machines on my advising.
It quite quickly got ripped out of those machines though because
having to select the various yes/no's do you want to connect was too
much of a pain for the users of those machines (novice level non
techies). A good utility should _not_ get in the way but Zonealarm was
breaking that in a big way.

Ah well ! It's a fairly competent piece of software, but it breaks
that 'protection utility should not be obtrusive' Pete Rule.

All that said though, the firewall I'm using now (XP SP2 Firewall) is
riddled with holes. It doesn't protect the machine against nasties
calling out to the internet. However ! I have an antivirus program
(AVG) and Spybot to guard against those ... Seems like ZA and the
other protection things are going a bit too far and are going outside
their intended core function.

Pete Lilleyman
alishas.dontspam.addict@blueyonder.co.getrid.uk
(please get rid of ".getrid" to reply direct)
(don't get rid of the dontspam though ;-)
February 12, 2005 1:54:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:54:45 GMT, Alisha's Addict wrote:
> Seems like ZA and the other protection things are going a bit too far
> and are going outside their intended core function.
>
> Pete Lilleyman

Thank you very much Pete for such a candid ilustration of what I was trying
to say before, son now lets add an......I told you so.........;)

--
"..........most folks are about as happy as they make up to their minds to
be...." A. Lincoln
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 2:39:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I have free zonealarm installed on 2 home computers and 5 office computers.
I have been using it for years. I consider it to be the most trouble-free,
intuitive, and correctly operating program I have ever used. I was truly
taken aback by your post. Sorry you're having trouble. I've never had a
single problem from it.

It's my opinion that MS would do well to learn something from the Zonealarm
programmers.

"s|b" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote in message
news:5er401tl0kvlkonm0375kscdd6tava55bv@news.telenet.be...
> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:00:25 -0500, Bruno wrote:
>
>> >I believe the versions after this one started to go kookoo...
>
>> Never had an issue with ZA.
>
> You probably used an old version of Free ZA when ZoneLabs decided to
> mess up yEnc? (No worries, they fixed it ... two versions or so
> later.)
>
> Free ZA also gave me problems when working with a router. I kept
> loosing my connection and couldn't access the router. First time I
> changed a setting and that seemed to work. Then I broke the 'ain't
> broken don't fix' rule and decided to install 5.5.062.004. Same old
> story: loss of connection even though settings were the same. I
> uninstalled Free ZA (and 'manually' cleaned up all the junk it left
> behind after 'uninstall') and installed Sygate Personal Firewall.
> Suddenly no more problems and the router now has an uptime around 20
> days. (Beats 1 day or less...)
>
> After the yEnc disaster ZA was called 'the AOL of firewalls' in
> news.software.readers. I couldn't think of a better name for it...
>
> --
> HP iPAQ h2210 | HP Leather Belt Case | Kingston CF 1 GiB | SanDisk CF 256
> MiB | D-Link DBT-120
February 22, 2005 9:21:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:39:48 -0500, Carl Rothman wrote:

> I have free zonealarm installed on 2 home computers and 5 office computers.
> I have been using it for years. I consider it to be the most trouble-free,
> intuitive, and correctly operating program I have ever used. I was truly
> taken aback by your post. Sorry you're having trouble. I've never had a
> single problem from it.
>
> It's my opinion that MS would do well to learn something from the Zonealarm
> programmers.

Hello again Carl, sorry that my post was harsh or not of your liking but ZA
seems to be going through some face of some sort, I believe that you just
missed the bug season, since with the new updates/upgrades after the free
version and ver. 4.5 all went bunkers, but hey you what they say if ain't
broke don't fix it, right?

Cheers

--
"..........most folks are about as happy as they make up to their minds to
be...." A. Lincoln
!