Two computers, how many OS's

I have a lap top with XP on it. I built a desktop computer and want to put
XP on it also. They both will be on the Internet. Do I have to buy another
XP OS?
6 answers Last reply
More about computers

    Richard Miller wrote:
    > I have a lap top with XP on it. I built a desktop computer and want to put
    > XP on it also. They both will be on the Internet. Do I have to buy another
    > XP OS?

    Certainly. Just as it says, right on the box, you'll need to
    purchase a separate WinXP license for each computer on which you install it.

    Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
    systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and
    U.S. copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if
    not technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on
    which it is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law
    to determine final applicability in your locale.) The only way in
    which WinXP licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows
    is that Microsoft has finally added a copy protection and anti-theft
    mechanism, Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more
    difficult) multiple installations using a single license.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Yes. One computer=one License for use. Another computer requires another
    License=another purchase. In your case, buy a full retail version (Best
    Buy, Circuit City, Staples, Office Depot, Office Max, Internet, etc)
    [Approx $199 for XP Home; $299 for XP Prof] which you can later move to
    another Computer if you wish or need to; however, only one Computer at a
    time. If your Laptop was purchased with XP pre-installed upon it, you
    have an OEM copy which is generally limited to the original Computer.
    Gene K

    In news:n1vpd.166600$G15.78223@fed1read03,
    Richard Miller <miller57@cox.net> typed:

    >I have a lap top with XP on it. I built a desktop computer and
    >want to
    > put XP on it also. They both will be on the Internet. Do I have
    > buy another XP OS?

    Yes. This is the same rule as the one that's been in effect for
    every version of Windows since 3.1.

    The only thing new with XP is that there's now an enforcement
    mechanism.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    You know you do!

    --

    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Richard Miller" <miller57@cox.net> wrote in message
    >I have a lap top with XP on it. I built a desktop computer and want to put
    >XP on it also. They both will be on the Internet. Do I have to buy another
    >XP OS?

    If the laptop came with XP pre-installed (an OEM version) you can not
    legally use it on the Desktop even if you uninstall it from the laptop
    first. OEM's are tied to the first system it is installed on. In fact some
    OEM versions are BIOS locked and won't even install on a different system.

    Oh yeah. Yes you will need to buy another XP OS.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Richard Miller" <miller57@cox.net> wrote in message
    >I have a lap top with XP on it. I built a desktop computer and want to put
    >XP on it also. They both will be on the Internet. Do I have to buy another
    >XP OS?

    Yes

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Richard Miller" <miller57@cox.net> wrote in message news:n1vpd.166600$G15.78223@fed1read03...
    >I have a lap top with XP on it. I built a desktop computer and want to put
    > XP on it also. They both will be on the Internet. Do I have to buy another
    > XP OS?

Computers Microsoft Windows XP