For hardcore gamers...(and even modest gamers I guess)

I wish I spent less time gaming and more time doing other things?

• Yes

Votes: 38 27.1%
  • No

Votes: 83 59.3%
  • I used to, but not anymore

Votes: 19 13.6%

• Total voters

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I personally have never played a video game on the computer since wolfenstein which was about 10-12 years ago, and even then I wasn't all that fond of it.

I study a lot and work a lot...and well, I just don't see how you guys justify to yourselves spending that much $ on computer parts and ESPECIALLY that much time to play games.

While I do understand everyone needs time to relax, and everyone deserves a hobby and some sort of entertainment... I used "hardcore gamers" as the subject here because that is who I am particularly concerned with.

My questions are basically these:

As stated above, how do you justify to yourself the $ and time spent playing these games?

Does it not cross your mind that your time could be used for more useful/beneficial tasks? If so, why are you still spending so much time gaming?

Finally, if you could somehow turn on a permanent switch would stop any urge you had from playing video games and it would make you use that time to work out (more), eat health(y/ier) or study/read (more) would you turn it on? Why or why not?

I know I'll get a lot of sarcastic remarks here, but I really hope a few of you do answer this seriously as I am very interested in your responses.

Thanks

EDIT:

Basically the reason I posted this question is because I was kind of interested in how games today looked and i did a google image search for BF2, since I seem to see that game name thrown around a lot here and well...I came across this:

http://sh.nu/download/images/dscn3905.jpg

Not to poke fun or anything, but that was just a really sad sight to me.

this30mg

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006

Your totally right. It's sad how he's wasting such sharp graphic capabilities on a low-res tv. He should really put the tv on his bed, or actually, he should fix the root of the problem and get a monitor that supports high resolutions. Would improve his gaming experience tons.

Good find though.

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
I personally have never played a video game on the computer since wolfenstein which was about 10-12 years ago, and even then I wasn't all that fond of it.

I study a lot and work a lot...and well, I just don't see how you guys justify to yourselves spending that much $ on computer parts and ESPECIALLY that much time to play games.

While I do understand everyone needs time to relax, and everyone deserves a hobby and some sort of entertainment... I used "hardcore gamers" as the subject here because that is who I am particularly concerned with.

My questions are basically these:

As stated above, how do you justify to yourself the $ and time spent playing these games?

Does it not cross your mind that your time could be used for more useful/beneficial tasks? If so, why are you still spending so much time gaming?

Finally, if you could somehow turn on a permanent switch would stop any urge you had from playing video games and it would make you use that time to work out (more), eat health(y/ier) or study/read (more) would you turn it on? Why or why not?

I know I'll get a lot of sarcastic remarks here, but I really hope a few of you do answer this seriously as I am very interested in your responses.

Thanks

EDIT:

Basically the reason I posted this question is because I was kind of interested in how games today looked and i did a google image search for BF2, since I seem to see that game name thrown around a lot here and well...I came across this:

You were right about one thing.
However, looking the short time you've been posting at this forum, and how often you've done so since then, why'd you waste your time? You could have been doing something more constructive. Why didn't you put that time into helping those who are truely in need (homeless people, orphans, the elderly).
You do realize most people who post here are into computer gaming, so why not just go somewhere else if you're not into it, rather than making generalizations about those who are.
I somewhat agree with you about the amount of cash people pump into a system that'll be outdated in year anyways, but then again, it's not your money so who cares.
Though that pic you found is funny as hell!

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Well like i said, everyone deserves their own entertainment and relaxation time.

To me this is actually a learning experience, posting this question. I am not typically exposed to people who game a great deal so I find it socially interesting to hear what people that do play quite a bit of games do have to say.

Further, I post on here because it's a good technical forum where I can help some people out who are working on new systems, while I get information for myself and my own personal computer. The combination justifies my time spent here, to myself that is. You may not think it is justified, just as I may not think it is justified to spend the amount of time you do playing games.

But I have always felt that understanding the perspective of another is the surest way of bettering yourself. When I look at what my friends that don't get good grades do, and why they do it...and when i look at what my friends that do get good grades do and why they do it...I can then decide what sort of sacrifices I want to make for myself to achieve whatever goal I'm setting forth to do.

Now it's back to the books for me lol

oaksmokedbacon

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
THats a quality pic, reminds me of a guy that used to share my flat in halls.

I've pld video games for years now, I see it as a good way to unwind, chill with mates playing games on consoles and i've made some good friends playing for my clan in Counterstrike. I live with people who have simular interests in games and computers as its a general interest that started the friendship.

I also do other things like play 5-a-side footy once a week with work collegues, study Taekwondo, play golf at the weekend. Bar the minority i think that alot of people have simular lives, just with the PC being a major interest. I mean there are people on here who juggle married life and kids with their passion.

in terms of money, there are plent yof hobbies that people spend tonnes of their hard earned cash. I mean i'd class somone spending £2-3-k doing up a Vauxhall Nova as a complete waste of money, cos a) its a shit car b) you could buy a quality 2nd hand sports car for that and it would look great.

I could go on for ever but work calls.

Morton

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
I think one of the reasons for interest in computer games is that games develop continuously in terms of graphics and nowadays physics. People want to upgrade their computers for games because they want to see what kind of new effects have been used in the new generation of games. Then, especially for people who live in isolated or scarcely populated areas multiplayer games could be a way to have some kind of sense of belonging to the international community in this age of globalism.

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
That guy looks pretty harmless man. He's just chilling, he needs to lose some weight and the goat-ee though!

Still, I don't see how you can blame computer games for that. Yeah, if I didn't play games then I'd probably work out more and shit, but I don't have any problem with the ladies and I'm sure as hell not a fat bastard.

I think it's all relative to your lifestyle, its no different to watching TV (which the average American spends more time doing each day than any other specific task). You can exercise, eat healthily, have a social life / partner AND play video games.

To be honest, the real problem isn't FPS games like Half-Life, its things like MMO's. I'm a GM in the longest running UO shard around, and I also play DDO: Stormreach. Or should I say, DDO: Crackreach. That shit is
A D D I C T I V E. It does take some self-control, and I guess it just depends on your personality whether you let your gameplay time be excessive or not!

In short: Games aren't to blame for the kinds of issues you descibe - it's the personality of the gamer that decrees whether they complete other functions in their lives, or allow the gaming to take over. If you're gonna let yourself get fat and unhealthy, and neglect other aspects of your life then thats your fault - not the fault of a PC.

Well I don't know about the rest of the "gamers" around here, but I feel insulted. First off, I think you are appying a huge stereotype. Not all gamers are fat, lazy, useless slobs. We for the most part aren't the uneducated heathens you think we are. Now the real reason that I, and I hope others are insulted is, why the hell should we have to justify our hobby to you? You are someone who apparently has an agenda, or outright doesn't like gamers. You will view us in whatever light you wish, regardless of how any of us respond to this. This site revolves around computer hardware, and presently gaming is what is pushing innovation in this industry, therefore a lot of people that populate these forums are gamers. A good many of them are very intelligent people, save a few trolls.

You come here and make blanket statements about gamers and people who spend tons of money on computer hardware in a forum for hardware fanatics. Why would you care how much anyone spends on anything?, let alone computer hardware? What business is it of yours?

You come off all self righteous about how hard you study. No one asked for you lifes history. I went to school too, and although I wouldn't call school "hard work" I would have to say that is was stressful. I didn't have a lot of time to do anything besides study, but when I did have time, or just needed a stress break, I could lose myself for twenty minutes in a game, and be better off for it. Now I am a father who is doing reasonably well for myself and my family and I still like to game. Sure I would just as soon build computers and tweak them, but gaming is still one of my favorite pastimes.

You say you come here to help people with their problems (I assume computer problems), well help them, don't judge them. If you come here to stir up and piss off the people in these forums, go somewhere else.

My mother had a saying when I was a kid (yes it was a long time ago) "you shouldn't speak, you let you ignorance hang out", this thread proves that saying.

jonkc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I personally play video games on average 10+ hours a week. I find it more mentally stimulating than sitting in front of the Idiot Box(TV) and watching what someone else thinks I will enjoy. At least with most games that I play, your own actions and skill and choices determine what happens in the game.

Besides, what other activities can you enjoy on a weeknight after nightfall other than TV that will not leave you tired or hung over the next morning?

Well that is 1 type of game, a 1st person shooter. Maybe that is not your forte, maybe you are more into RTS or RPG type of games that are more mentally challenging? Maybe you should experiment with a few different types of games before Stereotyping us to that dude playing on his bed...

As for other types of expensive hobbies? I can name a few... Golf you have to pay for clubs, hundreds if not thousands of dollars, greens fees, memberships and all that sh*t. Now some may think that golf is better because it is a "sport", but I work with plenty of fat people who play golf alot...
Hunting is another Expensive hobby... Guns, sights, ammo, cammo, and all the other "necessary" gear adds up to thousands as well. At least I never killed anyone or anything by playing video games....

JonC

sillywabbit

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
"Finally, if you could somehow turn on a permanent switch would stop any urge you had from playing video games and it would make you use that time to work out (more), eat health(y/ier) or study/read (more) would you turn it on? Why or why not?"

I'll admit some of those damn games are addicting. Especially those MMORPG's. I got sucked in to the world of Everquest for about 2 years. However, that is how I enjoyed my downtime. I still managed to workout, practice ju-jitsu, have time for friends, wife and hold down a full-time job. Even now, I still do the same except that Everquest has been replaced with other less time consuming games. It's about responsibility to yourself to make sure you balance your time. Some people are not as effective as others doing it.

sillywabbit

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
As for other types of expensive hobbies? I can name a few... Golf you have to pay for clubs, hundreds if not thousands of dollars, greens fees, memberships and all that sh*t. Now some may think that golf is better because it is a "sport", but I work with plenty of fat people who play golf alot...
Hunting is another Expensive hobby... Guns, sights, ammo, cammo, and all the other "necessary" gear adds up to thousands as well. At least I never killed anyone or anything by playing video games....

Hell, add modding your car to that list: $4,000 supercharger, $3000 upgraded suspension, $6,00 upgraded engine and the list goes on. $20,000 to get a 10 second 1/4 mile....Priceless! Priceless to those who care. Same with computers. Maybe my stock computer gets 100 fps while Joecomputer spent an extra $3k to get 140fps. Not worth it to me but as long as Joe himself is happy....

maguszxz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I do understand the cash money some games pour into their machines. I am looking for a cash upgrade myself but something that will give me a sig. boost not a total overhaul in my graphics. I do also have a job and I go to school and (whenever she is available) I do have a girlfriends. So gamers do have lives outside the games but they just a little bit more time in their games.

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Well I don't know about the rest of the "gamers" around here, but I feel insulted. First off, I think you are appying a huge stereotype. Not all gamers are fat, lazy, useless slobs. We for the most part aren't the uneducated heathens you think we are. Now the real reason that I, and I hope others are insulted is, why the hell should we have to justify our hobby to you? You are someone who apparently has an agenda, or outright doesn't like gamers. You will view us in whatever light you wish, regardless of how any of us respond to this. This site revolves around computer hardware, and presently gaming is what is pushing innovation in this industry, therefore a lot of people that populate these forums are gamers. A good many of them are very intelligent people, save a few trolls.

You come here and make blanket statements about gamers and people who spend tons of money on computer hardware in a forum for hardware fanatics. Why would you care how much anyone spends on anything?, let alone computer hardware? What business is it of yours?

You come off all self righteous about how hard you study. No one asked for you lifes history. I went to school too, and although I wouldn't call school "hard work" I would have to say that is was stressful. I didn't have a lot of time to do anything besides study, but when I did have time, or just needed a stress break, I could lose myself for twenty minutes in a game, and be better off for it. Now I am a father who is doing reasonably well for myself and my family and I still like to game. Sure I would just as soon build computers and tweak them, but gaming is still one of my favorite pastimes.

You say you come here to help people with their problems (I assume computer problems), well help them, don't judge them. If you come here to stir up and piss off the people in these forums, go somewhere else.

My mother had a saying when I was a kid (yes it was a long time ago) "you shouldn't speak, you let you ignorance hang out", this thread proves that saying.

don't have time for a long response--i will later though--but for the quick one let me just say i don't have a stereotype, i have what i perceive to be a hobby that quickly becomes an addiction that can take away from a large number of more valuable things one could do with his/her time.

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006

P.S. My business is what details people care to share with me. If you are offended because I am inquisitive, thats fine everyone can make their own decisions but you make it sound almost as though I am doing something wrong by inquiring....and that is where you are mistaken.

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006

My father used to tell me throughout my childhood that I should always look to those people that were better at certain things than me and try to "do what they do" but only for the things . (it's a lot shorter in our language, lol)

For all I know there could be something here I could gain...I enjoy doing logic puzzles because I think I may be able to gain something from them, maybe someone here will enlighten me to a 3d game i might be able to gain from.

Further I think that the disinterest you express for learning about others just proves your own personal ignorance.

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006

JonC

Well my original point wasn't in using that time for other hobbies, rather to use that time for more serious things......i don't know i just feel like there are a lot of people who don't take things in life as seriously as they need to be taken, and video games just as playing golf, just as guns, need to be toned down a bit. This is a forum where I see a lot of people playing video games, so this was why the topic was so seemingly "stereotypical" to you.

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
"Finally, if you could somehow turn on a permanent switch would stop any urge you had from playing video games and it would make you use that time to work out (more), eat health(y/ier) or study/read (more) would you turn it on? Why or why not?"

I'll admit some of those damn games are addicting. Especially those MMORPG's. I got sucked in to the world of Everquest for about 2 years. However, that is how I enjoyed my downtime. I still managed to workout, practice ju-jitsu, have time for friends, wife and hold down a full-time job. Even now, I still do the same except that Everquest has been replaced with other less time consuming games. It's about responsibility to yourself to make sure you balance your time. Some people are not as effective as others doing it.

I think thats what i've gotten from this....that basically the people that get sucked into it just dont balance their time well, i was under the impression that those of you spending upwards of 500 on video cards were playing these games 4-5 hours a day, and well .. hobby or not, thats a lot of time.

My father used to tell me throughout my childhood that I should always look to those people that were better at certain things than me and try to "do what they do" but only for the things . (it's a lot shorter in our language, lol)

For all I know there could be something here I could gain...I enjoy doing logic puzzles because I think I may be able to gain something from them, maybe someone here will enlighten me to a 3d game i might be able to gain from.

Further I think that the disinterest you express for learning about others just proves your own personal ignorance.

This site isn't about learning "about" others, those are dating services. This is a hardware site, this site is about learning from others and helping others, neither of which this thread does. If I wanted to learn about you I would hook up with you in a chatroom, not in a forum primarily used by hardware enthusiasts and gamers. Social engineering experiments aren't welcome either.

Now you have added your signature, what the hell would a non-gamer being doing with a 7600GT that's overclocked. That whole sig says gamer, is this some sort of practical joke? It's not April Fool's day. Or did you just copy someone elses signature just to add some sort of credence to this post.

JonC

Well my original point wasn't in using that time for other hobbies, rather to use that time for more serious things......i don't know i just feel like there are a lot of people who don't take things in life as seriously as they need to be taken, and video games just as playing golf, just as guns, need to be toned down a bit. This is a forum where I see a lot of people playing video games, so this was why the topic was so seemingly "stereotypical" to you.

Who gives you the right to deem what is "serious"? Why do you get to choose what people do with their time and money? This is what living in a free society entitles you to. If a person wants to throw their lives away on something "you' deem unimportant, then that's the way it is and you have no business casting dispersions on their choice. Were you the kid that pointed at handicapped people and fat people and asked your mother what was wrong with them? I'm guessing you weren't upbraided for it.

ScottyHutch

Distinguished
May 12, 2006

JonC

Interesting thread. Care to list any of the more “serious things” people should be doing with there time? Do you not feel that people should have down time where they can just waste way as the chose?

I believe in living life with a work hard, play hard philosophy. I think your issue is not with gamers or other people who are really into hobbies that don’t interest you. You’re probably surrounded by people who don’t quite take life as serious as you do. Perhaps you should tone down your expectations of others a bit. I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, I’m just trying to point out that everyone needs ways to release and escape the demands life places on them, and gaming, like any other hobby can do this.

Having said all that I did notice your signature; nice rig, mind telling the forum what you’re running with all that power? Seems to me it could be a nice gaming rig, or is that only being used from serious application.

I'm with you on this one, what you do with your time is your problem. No one can dictate that to you.
This thread is a useless excitement of electrons. It poses no purpose, is only asking for opinions and adds no knowledge to the Forumz. This is better placed in the community section.

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
This site isn't about learning "about" others, those are dating services. This is a hardware site, this site is about learning from others and helping others, neither of which this thread does.

That's the difference between us, I don't need a dating service, i can just post a question like this and read your responses. If you're so against it and don't feel that it belongs here, ignore it, it will quickly fall to page 2...oh but wait you replied!
Now you have added your signature, what the hell would a non-gamer being doing with a 7600GT that's overclocked. That whole sig says gamer, is this some sort of practical joke? It's not April Fool's day. Or did you just copy someone elses signature just to add some sort of credence to this post.
[/quote]

well i like to keep my computer for 5-6 years like i did my last one...the card, well it was $110, bout the same for what i would have paid for an x1600 which i thought would last me awhile. BFG's OCed version was the only one for that cheap on newegg.

But as far as what I do with all my "computing power", well now I don't have to sit in a lab when i work on matlab or mathematica, and I multitask like hell so :) Oh I also do a good amount of 3D rendering for my profession, its nothing really intensive, my last card could do it but it would just have lag with every click, it was pretty annoying...pretty sure i wont have that problem now.

i asked you all a simple question and you flip....so sad.

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Having said all that I did notice your signature; nice rig, mind telling the forum what you’re running with all that power? Seems to me it could be a nice gaming rig, or is that only being used from serious application.

Mostly serious....but I think i'm gonna get a TV wonder 650, I hate missing leno :(

jonkc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
i have what i perceive to be a hobby that quickly becomes an addiction that can take away from a large number of more valuable things one could do with his/her time.
What is valuable to one is wothless to another... How can you say that we are not spending our valuable time the right way? Only I can say that I am spending my time the best way or not. And even if I am p*ssing my life away playing video games, it is my life, not your life. No one tells me how to live my life, and I don't try to tell anyone how to live theirs.

This is a forum where I see a lot of people playing video games, so this was why the topic was so seemingly "stereotypical" to you.
No sh*t sherlock, you are some detective... Comming to a forum where people like to build and tweak computer hardware to insane levels... What did you think we were trying to make spellcheck run faster? Take a look at the gaming industry and it's effects on the computer hardware industry... Gaming drives the hardware manufacturers to produce better hardware. You don't need fancy graphics and quadcore CPUs to do word processing and spreadsheets.

I think thats what i've gotten from this....that basically the people that get sucked into it just dont balance their time well, i was under the impression that those of you spending upwards of 500 on video cards were playing these games 4-5 hours a day, and well .. hobby or not, thats a lot of time.
Well how about my GF's ex-husband who spent most of his time away from his family(and a ton of money) on his hobbies... Hunting and Fishing. He used to go on hunting trips costing upwards of 5k. This was for 1 week. If I spend 5k on a computer, it will last for years. He has optics that cost more than any graphics card and that is just 1!

I know that there are alot of people who spend most of their free time devoted to their religion and give alot of money to the (insert type of worship house here) that they attend. Is this a waste of time or money? Not my position to judge them just because I don't.

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

JonC

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
the enthusiast crowd is beyond your ability to understand;your question is posed in a manner that is self-righteous.
who needs justification?youll never get mine,i dont owe you a damn thing.
and further more if all people were like you wed still be using k7 chipsand p4's.

its the enthusiasts who drive the energy bus on tech.wether they are IT enthusiasts or gaming enthusiasts.

so well be getting outrageous resolution on movies and games while you are chugging around calling video games lame because your system cant play them at ultra high.

that doesnt bother me at all,why does my pc expenditure bother you?
if you want to take the utilitarian aire ,you need to back it up with an objectivity that you havent thusfar exhibited.
in the end this is your rant and at that its completely useless and this thread should be locked.

i challenge you to play oblivion on a top notch rig and come back and complain again,but make sure you try oblivion on your pc first just so you see the difference.

lets review:

did i say lame? no

did i say i wanted to play them at "ultra high"? Actually i said quite the opposite

did i say you're expenditure bothers me? or rather did i say i was interested in how you justified it to yourself? i'm gonna go with the latter here

and finally by all means, lock the thread, i didn't know you would all turn crazy because of a question...so sad that adults can't refrain from responding to something when they come out and say
i dont owe you a damn thing.
yet they complain that the thread goes on?

pitiful

P.S. as of today, i think my rig is the "top notch" range, less my video card.